• CharlesW
    This came today from the Library of Congress. Interesting. I had never heard of him.

Approximately 350 years before young pop artist Justin Bieber joined planet earth, the original Biber (pronounced Beeber, as “Bieber”) was born in Wartenberg, Bohemia. Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber (baptized August 12, 1644, died May 3, 1704) was the rage in Austria and Central Europe for much of the seventeenth century (top that Justin!). His version of “Bieber Fever” entailed princes, bishops and members of court enjoying the melodies, counterpoint and virtuosic compositional style that electrified their wigs and tickled their cochlear nerves. Biber’s greatest legacy is his violin sonatas, which made exemplary use of the scordatura technique—an alternate tuning system for string instruments that uses open strings. He also composed several masses, dramatic works, cantatas, sacred vocal music and instrumental works.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • ZacPB189ZacPB189
    His Missa Salisburgensis is one of my favorite Mass settings, and he's written a lot for trumpet (which is right in my neck of the woods).
  • CharlesW
    I am going to look into those masses, since I am sure I haven't heard any of them. I only play organ trumpets, but trumpets are good - very good!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Heinrich Biber's Missa Salisburgensis is scored, massively, for two 8-part choirs, two groups of strings (violins 1,2, violas 1,2,3,4 each), four recorders (2 descant, 1 treble, 1 tenor), two oboes, two trumpets, two cornetti (Zink), three trombones, two trumpet groups (trumpets 1,2,3,4, tympani each), two organs, and continuo.

The companion work Plaudite tympana is scored for almost exactly the same forces. Both were composed in 1682 for the 1100th anniversary of the founding of the archbishopric of Salzburg by Saint Rupert.

CPDL has the Kyrie to the Missa and the complete Plaudite.
  • ZacPB189ZacPB189
    IMSLP has the whole Mass and Plaudite, as well as some other Masses and sonatas. Many of Biber's masses are polychoral works, but they all sound amazing.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Biber is probably best known for his Rosary sonatas for violin.There's also a dandy sonata for 2 violins, trombone and continuo which I have played.
  • What a disappointment. :) Reading the title of the thread I though that Justin has started to work in the field of sacred music.

Some years ago I saw a ballet made on the music of the Rosary Sonatas.