Valuable advice to church musicians from Sr. Joan Roccasalvo
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Sr. Joan Roccasalvo, CSJ, a weekly CNA columnist, often addresses liturgical/musical issues, and I always find her reflections well worth reading. In her July 10 essay, she focused on the problem of "prayerlessness" at the Sunday liturgy which she attributes to a lack of beauty:

Beauty captures, it rivets the attention. Its magic can hold one spellbound. Beauty elevates, gives meaning to life. We need beauty in our Eucharistic liturgy to capture, to rivet our attention on the grandeur of God.

She goes on to address the four particular ministries which most affect the congregation and which demand the best possible preparation and gives this excellent general reminder concerning them:

Self-centeredness and poor taste have no place in any liturgical service. It is God’s grandeur and not the community as a social event that liturgy celebrates.

Her advice to cantors is particularly apt and she describes at some length the essential qualities for leaders of song:
    The cantor’s voice and that of the choir are the musical instruments through which the word of God sings. Like lectors, it is essential for them to use proper pronunciation, clear diction, and projection of voice. Otherwise, the text will be garbled. Singing in the English language requires that its words be over-enunciated in order to be understood.

She goes on to describe the ideal voice for the liturgy: not a pop or nightclub or opera singer, and not a "crooner" or "swooner".

The pitch of singers must be sure and firm. Singing off key (sharp, flat, in quarter tones, or anything in between) is the musical counterpart of an ululating cat. Voices should have a minimum of vibrato or preferably none at all. Warbling belongs to the order of birds. These vocal flaws provoke prayerlessness in the liturgy.

Finally, to organists who might be tempted to take center stage during the Offertory:

The Offertory Rite is not the place to dazzle the ear with masterpieces of the organ repertory. The logical place for brilliant organ display is the postlude where the organ may pull out all its stops and flood the church with its glorious sounds. An organ prelude before the liturgy is also suitable to set the tone for the liturgy.

More here.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    She's spot on about ululating cats. My ancient three (all about 19) ululate in various ways for which I'm compelled to take immediate correction, and THEN I have to go to church and deal with human ululators in the y'all come ensemble who figure it's all good if theyre ululating for GOD!
    Can one utter "ululating" too much? Thanks, Sr. Jean.

U-lu-la-ting the shelter of the warb, who abide in the shadows of pitch-
    Sing ye with ears more than larynx, and relieve us all from fits.
    And you shall raise the tone a quarter's worth
    Give all song a second birth
    Make you to ululate in tune
    And hold pitch center from first note, through and through!
  • WendiWendi
    Vibrato is my personal irritant. The most annoying thing in the world are cantors who try and sound "precious". Just sing the notes on the page please.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I hated vibrato as a high school student. As an undergrad music student I was exposed to what a good healthy vibrato is, and that doesn't bother me anymore. Now I'll agree that too much is too much, but I once heard a cantor who tried very hard to sound like a boy soprano, and that was weirdly annoying also.
    Thanked by 3Liam Ignoto ZacPB189
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    (not the boy soprano sound, but the fake boy soprano sound)
  • WendiWendi
    I quite agree that a SUBTLE use of vibrato is fine, however...it is also rare, even among those who have vocal training. It is definitely a case in which "less is more" should be uppermost in the singer's mind. And fake boy soprano coming out of an adult would be VERY weird sounding. Of course, when working with volunteers it's best to be gentle in correction and encouraging whenever possible...as I keep reminding myself. :)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Vibrato is my personal irritant. The most annoying thing in the world are cantors who try and sound "precious". Just sing the notes on the page please.

Good singing, like good acting and good reading, is transparent and un-self-conscious.

When I was a High School theatre teacher, it was clear that this fact is the biggest reason high schoolers make such bad actors (especially the ones who show up to a "drama" class). They cannot stop thinking about themselves, how they look, how they sound, whether someone might make fun of them.

If a parent of an elementary or junior-high kid told me that their child wanted to be an actor, and did I have any advice, I would advise:
    1. Join a children's choir that sings chant.
    2. Play an active sport like soccer or basketball.
    3. Avoid any form of acting or theatre work until at least 16.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Fascinating advice @ children's theatrics, Adam! For several years, my children have been involved in performing Shakespeare plays with our homeschooling group. There are children as young as 4 and 5 involved, and it's been my observation that it's of great benefit in helping them develop a facile memory, excellent reading comprehension and literary analysis skills.

However, whether it has made them great actors is another very good question. There are one or two children who are very talented and natural performers, but with the rest it's the same struggle every year to engage them in their character, project their voice, etc. However, all in all, there is no doubt that it's worth all the difficulties (and the late nights sewing costumes, etc.!)

My son Peter as Sir Toby in Twelfth Night:

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yes- well that depends of course - as you imply - on the purpose of children's theatricals. If the purpose is to have fun, to learn about team work, to get exposure to (hopefully) good literature, to keep them busy so they don't drive their parents crazy... children's theatre is great.

But if they seriously want to grow up to be actors- it should (usually) be avoided. They would be better off doing other things that develop them as whole people who are comfortable with themselves and their bodies (singing, sports, dance, gymnastics) and their minds and souls (language learning, literature, attending good theatre, GOING TO CHURCH), or (and I really mean this) just pretending and playing by themselves. (A treehouse and a bicycle will help a kid grow up to be a good actor more than any drama camp or community theatrical.)

Obviously that's just my opinion, but when I was working with High School and College-aged actors, the ones who had been involved in children's or community theatre tended to have the worst "I AM PERFORMING NOW, LOOK AT MY EXCELLENT CHARACTERIZATION!" habits.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    or (and I really mean this) just pretending and playing by themselves. (A treehouse and a bicycle will help a kid grow up to be a good actor more than any drama camp or community theatrical.)

YES, YES and YES! Using their imaginations and creativity without adult interference (and without batteries or technology.)
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    There's a cafe article in here, that I've been meaning to write, about the real and good connections between theatre and liturgy (which have nothing to do with puppets and banners...)
    Thanked by 2JulieColl bkenney27
  • CharlesW
    Back to vibrato. I have an aging choir where some are in their 80s, while my youngest member is 16. That's quite an age range. Things happen to voices as they age, and I don't exclude myself from that. Sometimes that vibrato almost seems to turn into a yodel. I decided I could either spend much time and worry trying to fix an unfixable problem, or I could learn to live with it. These folks are all volunteers and not professionals.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I decided I could either spend much time and worry trying to fix an unfixable problem, or I could learn to live with it.

That's one of the most difficult of many difficult decisions we all need to make as choir directors. I have respect for anybody who has made a decision on this and not merely ignored the question - regardless of which way they have decided.
  • Ignoto
    True healthy vibrato is indicative of a healthy voice with a healthy sound and an open, relaxed throat.

Straight-tone singing (no vibrato) is "extremely unhealthy for the voice." Wobble (a too-slow vibrato) or tremolo (a too-fast vibrato) are usually what people refer to when they say they "don't like vibrato." Wobble and tremolo are vocal problems indicative of unhealthy singing.

If someone has a naturally healthy vibrato, by no means should that be discouraged!
    http://www.sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~jones/Shirlee/vibrato.html
    Thanked by 3bkenney27 Liam redsox1
  • Ignoto is correct about vibrato and vocal problems.

Most aging amateur singers will develop a wobble. They lack the technique and demands of regular training to maintain support.

My 82 year-old teacher sang with all the greats of her day (Callas, Sutherland, Pavarotti, Domingo and many others) and does not have a wobble.
  • GavinGavin
    "Things happen to voices as they age"

As an outstanding soprano section leader explained to me, things happen to UN-MAINTAINED voices as they age. Which... you can't really blame a church choir alto for not abstaining from alcohol, caffeine, tobacco, shouting, excessive laughter, cold weather, wool fabrics, and mammals for 80 years. But it should at least be pointed out that these sorts of changes are not a necessary component of aging.

As for myself, I'm starting to already notice a lot of swooping, wiggling, and wobbling in the voice. God help me when I'm 80!
  • CharlesW
    I could sing when younger, but I actually listened to and analyzed my singing. I knew when to quit. Unfortunately, too many don't. I suspect we have all had to deal with them. Even semi-pro voices can deteriorate with age.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Liam
    Then you have the situation of monstrous acoustical spaces where choirs deliberately cultivated vibrato to be heard better. I am thinking of the Basilica S. Pietro in Vaticano...
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Then you have the situation of monstrous acoustical spaces where choirs deliberately cultivated vibrato to be heard better. I am thinking of the Basilica S. Pietro in Vaticano...

Is that really the reason? I always assumed it was just because those male voices were what one could find in Rome and it just sort of became a "tradition" to sing Renaissance music and chant in the wrong vocal style.
  • redsox1
    There is a big difference between vibrato, a natural process of healthy singing, and warble. "Straight-tone" singing is usually a manufactured sound that can very hard on the voice and requires great skill to pull off. It can be mesmerizing, particularly in choral music of great harmonic complexity. Anyone who heard the Shrine choir at NPM can attest to that! For the most part, however, that choir's vocal production is not without vibrato. They can minimize it, though, with great effect. Too often with most choirs that try this technique, though, it sounds like someone put a tourniquet around the singers' throats. Let women sound like women, for goodness sake! If more singers would learn proper placement and to sing on the breath, warble wouldn't be such an issue.
  • CharlesW
    How do we know the Italians sing in the "wrong" vocal style. Perhaps they have always had their own style, and that is how they sing. Do we know they didn't sing Renaissance music equally as badly? Modern assumptions on interpretation and musical styles may not have been recognizable to an earlier age. Granted, we would all like to know more than we likely do.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    How do we know the Italians sing in the "wrong" vocal style.

You just listen to it.
  • CharlesW
    Yes, you can listen to it. However, it doesn't take much time spent around musicologists and musicians to realize modern theories are sometimes nothing more than speculation. My own experience is that Bach suffers the worst from misinterpretation, even to the point of modern scholars disagreeing with what his contemporaries saw, heard, and wrote. The only crazier field of study I have encountered is global warming.

As an aside, I wonder for how many centuries the consensus has been that the Sistine Chapel Choir stinks? ;-)
    Thanked by 1francis
  • SalieriSalieri
    As an aside, I wonder for how many centuries the consensus has been that the Sistine Chapel Choir stinks? ;-)

At least since Felix Mendelssohn. In the notes for a recording of the Allegri and Bai Misereres by the Westminster Abbey Choir, there is an excerpt from a letter home from Mendelssohn describing Tenebrae; he laments that the 'papal singers are old' and that there are pitch problems and that 'one sometimes hears the most shocking dissonances.'
  • francis
    Spot on, CharlesW.

I think MOST choirs throughout history were "average". Mathematics and probability also confirm the same. Then you have that top five to ten percent that go the extra mile and perfect their intonation, tuning, blend, (and if they are really lucky, have a great acoustic to do it in!). The age of recording and distribution put the quash on what we would 'like' to sound like versus how we truly sound.

Here's a metaphor to drive the point home. It's the same with women's figures. Most women aspire to look like the small percentage of ones we see on TV... reality is, most of them are average looking.

Conclusion: There aren't a whole lot of sexy choirs in the world, and if you are in one, that is not normal.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • expeditus1
    And if you have a sexy organist, that is even more atypical.
  • francis
    expeditus:

Speak for yourself!
  • expeditus1
    Verily, francis, thou hast seen through me. The fact that my user name has no photo attached, has less to do with privacy concerns, than it does with cosmetic ones. When seated at the organ console, however, I adopt a different persona, exercising bench power through loudness: loud organ and loud voice, with maximum ululation.
  • Hear! Hear!
    Adam is spot on: you just listen to it!
    And, I suspect that it has always sounded 'that way'.
    It is a nice conceit to think that renaissance choirs sounded like the Hilliard ensemble, et al., or King's, but it isn't likely that they did. They might even have had a rather earthy aesthetic... maybe not... but one wouldn't be surprised.

I should like to hear more about the 'perils of cultivating straight tone'. It has done no harm to voices with which I and others have worked. To me this is an aesthetic of all but biblical pre-emminence. It is a given, especially in early music. I insist on it from my singers (except for special effects) and have sung in this manner for fifty years. Thankfully, my voice is still strong and accurate and remains a vehicle for good diction. I have lost range (meaning I can no longer sing countertenor), but otherwise my voice is almost as good as ever.

Perhaps someone would like to make a polite rebuttal?

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I should like to hear more about the 'perils of cultivating straight tone'.

The peril is getting fussed at by faculty in the opera department.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    The peril is getting fussed at by faculty in the opera department.

Tenure, anyone?

But seriously, when you have large enough choir, it's completely possible to have straight-tone singing done in a healthy way. I think the problem is whether or not your singers/students are actually doing that, and also just the general difficulties involved in building technique at that age. I definitely see the voice faculty point of view, but I would also want my students to be able to perform Renaissance polyphony in what I feel is the proper style.

I think MOST choirs throughout history were "average".

But mine doesn't have to be one of them, if I can help it.

[I often wonder, given his weekly schedule and working conditions, how much of Bach's ensemble church music could have been performed well in his liftetime.]
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I think MOST choirs throughout history were "average".

But mine doesn't have to be one of them, if I can help it.

Exactly.

---

Historically-informed performance practice can either be a tool for making the best possible sound today, or it can be a bludgeon used by a tool who wants to feel superior to other people.

Of course most performances throughout history were average. Actually- half of them were BELOW average!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    This reminds me of the discussion a few decades back in the classical music world about using original instruments and historically informed period performances.

My brother-in-law is a cellist, and he vigorously disdains the use of vibrato for Baroque music (and doesn't use it much for romantic or modern music, either.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • redsox1
    Historically-informed performance practice can either be a tool for making the best possible sound today, or it can be a bludgeon used by a tool who wants to feel superior to other people.

Well said, Adam.

On a related note, I read an interesting article by Sarah MacDonald, DM at Selwyn College in Cambridge, England in The American Organist a few months ago. She talked about what most Americans believe to be a pervasive English choral ethic is not so common outside the major cathedral and college choirs in England. It certainly does not extend to most mixed choirs. It was surprising to read this, yet it does make sense.

The literature we're speaking of was written for boy trebles and male counter-tenors. While certainly this type of sound can be replicated in mixed choirs and is done so in many venues, one must be very, very careful. I dislike the term "straight-tone" because it goes against what is a natural process in adult voices-vibrato. Vibrato does not mean warble. Again, it's really about a forward placement and proper singing on the breath. There is a fine line between clear, forward, supportive singing that uses minimal vibrato and a constricted, neutered sound that frequently encounters pitch problems because it is the result of poor technique with too much of the vocal process emanating from the throat and not from the breath.

I have enjoyed working with professional and semi-professional groups with well-trained singers that can pull this off. I've also worked with younger adult volunteer choirs that with proper guidance can also achieve the desired clear, light sound, but I've had to be MUCH more careful. You cannot just walk into the rehearsal room and say, "give me straight-tone, no vibrato." You're asking for long-term vocal problems unless you instill a healthy technique. You are rarely, if ever, going to get this sound from a group of older singers, of which most church choirs have a healthy number. This does not mean you can't get a pleasant and clear sound, it's just that they are probably not going to sound like the Tallis Scholars.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    it's really about a forward placement and proper singing on the breath. There is a fine line between clear, forward, supportive singing that uses minimal vibrato and a constricted, neutered sound that frequently encounters pitch problems because it is the result of poor technique with too much of the vocal process emanating from the throat and not from the breath.

Yes, this.
    Thanked by 1Ignoto