What are the appropriate times (and suggested repertoire) for organ solo?
  • soli
    Good afternoon everyone! Thank you in advance for taking time to read this post. What times during Holy Mass are appropriate for solo organ? I realize postludes/preludes are optional/possible. What about Communion or Offertory? Also, if people have suggestions for someone trying to start a liturgical repertoire, I would be very grateful. I have 2 Couperin Masses for the Convents and 3 volumes of Dom Benoit's modal music for organ and harmonium. Could you suggest the most appropriate-for-liturgical-use online free organ scores? Thank you very much. A side note: my pedal skills are very rusty, but I think can be revived. I think some challenging music as well as some less demanding music would be something I could handle as I try to get back into it. Also, could anyone suggest tips on registration or where an online source might be for help? I am quite rusty! Thank you, everyone for your time. May God bless you all.
  • soli
    p.s. - I am aware of the GIRM regulations on Lent (to support singing only) and Advent (more subdued but permissible). Thanks.
  • If you have access to one of the collections of chant harmonizations, such as Achille Brager's, you can use an unfamiliar Mass setting. Manuals only, played very slowly, some of these have possibilities as preludes or Communion meditations.