Celebration of Mass (1964) - Supplement
  • When the 4th Edition of The Celebration of Mass, by J. B. O'Connell, was published in 1964, an instruction prepared by the Consilium dated 9/26/64 had already eliminated many of the characteristic features of the Mass of 1962. Canon O'Connell helpfully prepared an insert to be supplied with his book indicating the changes called for by the instruction. This insert is not included with the reprint the 4th Edition from Preserving Christian Publications, so I thought it would be fun to post it here.

The Instruction itself, Inter Oecumenici, may be found in Documents on the Liturgy, 1963-1979 (Liturgical Press), No. 23.
    Thanked by 1ScottKChicago
  • Arthur,

It's no wonder that people resisted the 1965 Missal, and still won't use it.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    As and aside, and not to start a fight, but as someone born into the OF, with no EF experience until about ten years ago, I wonder how much of the EF I would have struggled more to understand without having a solid OF foundation and formation.

To make a comparison, I learned chant after already being completely proficient at reading five-line notation (not that that's at all necessary, but it happened to be "where I was"). In any event, there was a period where I would read four-line notation and "translate" in my mind into the notation I knew. Similarly, when I first attended the EF, for the majority of parts of the Mass which are common to both EF and OF, I would "translate," e.g. "Oh, the gradual, this is like the Responsorial Psalm." (Now we all know it's much different from the Responsorial Psalm, but knowing in what very basic ways it was the same was helpful to my appreciating those difference.)

I think it might be easier to get some OF attendees who might be wary or reluctant to attend the EF to describe it in terms of the OF. I know this would be potentially heretical to some EF communities, but it was what my mind did naturally at first, and greatly assisted my early understanding of the EF.
  • It's no wonder that people resisted the 1965 Missal, and still won't use it.

I disagree and think the 1965 rite didn't get a fair chance. That's the rite I was "born into" (I still remember the small brown St. Joseph Missal and Hymnal we had to bring along to church), and I'm rather fascinated with it. Every once in a while I search for a video of a 1965-rite Mass, to no avail.

It'd be great (in my opinion) if someone were to do a 1965-rite Mass on video for educational purposes.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl CharlesW
  • GavinGavin
    But '65 was not, to my understanding, a new form of the Mass. I ununderstand it to be an application of SC to the extant Missal.
  • BenBen
    Yes, Skirp. That's how I first looked at it too.
  • Ok, but look at how many important elements are missing!

I agree, SkirpR that it might be helpful for die-hard OF's to see links to their own form, but that can be no more than a starting point.

I began a presentation for youths a few weeks ago by saying, "How many of you completely understand God?" Good, I said, because God is a mystery, and when we encounter a mystery it is helpful to be properly prepared. Hence, the language and symbols of the Mass teach us that we encounter a mystery.

How many of you, I continued, would want the driver of your family's minivan to be constantly facing you, the passenger, instead of watching where the car was going? Good, because since the prayers of Mass are addressed to God, and since the tabernacle houses the presence of God, it makes logical sense for the priest to face God. He's not ignoring us out of some sense of superiority, but out of an obligation to make sure we get where we should go.

One father objected, saying that this was equally true of the OF -- and I conceded that it SHOULD be, but too often isn't.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    One father objected, saying that this was equally true of the OF -- and I conceded that it SHOULD be, but too often isn't.

The OF can very much be licitly celebrated ad orientem.

As far as I know (and I may be wrong here, but if so I'd like to see the rubrics), the EF is only celebrated ad orientem by custom, not legislation.

So many OF/EF discussions take as their starting point that the OF is so frequently abused, and so it will be to the benefit of souls to advocate the EF. I do not disagree with this, but my viewpoint is that since most souls experience solely the OF, I'd rather spend my energy reforming the OF.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ronkrisman
    @cgz,

Wow, what an amazing teaching you gave those youth! If they bought what you were offering, by now it must have dawned on them that Pope Francis has not even once faced God during the celebration of Mass since he became Supreme Pontiff.
  • chonakchonak
    I don't know about that. Does he use the papal private chapel or only the chapel at S. Marthae?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Good, because since the prayers of Mass are addressed to God, and since the tabernacle houses the presence of God, it makes logical sense for the priest to face God.

The prayers of the Mass are addressed to The Father.
    The tabernacle houses the True Presence of The Son.

I'm pretty sure there's a good way to argue for ad orientem without confusing the doctrine of the trinity or (what I see more often) making paganistic statements that one is "facing God" while turned in one direction and not while turned in the other.

I'm also pretty sure one should not teach children such disparaging opinions about versus populum celebration.
  • Liam
    And, in the OF, the tabernacle of repose is not on the altar anymore.
  • chonakchonak
    OK, this objection to the term "versus Deum" is a fair one. What sort of longevity does the term have; what kind of roots; and does it have patristic or biblical support as does the concept of liturgical "east"?

And who uses this term, anyway?

Oh -- one of my favorite thinkers does.
  • The 1964 Instruction doesn't say anything one way or another about ad orientem recitation of the canon of the Mass. But it makes very clear that the epistle and the gospel are to be read or sung versus populum. Doesn't this change all by itself make the liturgy more inward focused and community-centric?
  • This is a very surprising document
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    But it makes very clear that the epistle and the gospel are to be read or sung versus populum. Doesn't this change all by itself make the liturgy more inward focused and community-centric?

Just as an observation here, this is the angle of the issue where I think you will find the most variety of opinion. Even those who appreciate the symbolism and appropriateness of ad orientem celebration in the OF (as I do, even though I do not find versus populum orientation to be by its nature a bad thing if done in the right way - cf. Fr. Krisman and Adam Wood's comments above), may prefer the readings to be in the vernacular versus populum.

This reform I, personally, can stand behind. One has to examine the revised lectionary (which other threads here have at length), and as a faithful Catholic, try to effect its purpose, regardless of whether one one completely agrees with it or not. There is a decided focus in the OF order of readings that they be didactic and serve to "open up" the gift of God's Word for the congregation, rather than use them solely to return praise to God through his own Word to us (as they tend to function in the EF). While I appreciate the ability of Biblical readings to return praise to God (as they do in most of the Hours of the Office), at Mass - particularly Sunday Mass - I appreciate more their ability to instruct the faithful on the mystery of the story of salvation. Therefore, I don't find it at all odd that they were the first (and perhaps the most apt) parts of the liturgy to be celebrated versus populum.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I also suspect (but don't know) that there may be more archaeological evidence for the readings in the early Church to have been done versus populum than the Canon, etc.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • chonakchonak
    There are so many things to be distinguished:
    -- the substance of the changes described, and their merits on their own;
    -- the degree to which they are justified as mandated by the Council's teaching;
    -- the obedient acceptance required of the changes described, imposed with papal authority;

and there is the effrontery with which this massive list is presented as "certain minor changes". I can't think of another expression in a church document which I can say with confidence is a bare-faced lie.
  • I believe Canon O'Connell was a proponent of fairly radical reforms, and so very likely from his point of view the changes were "minor".
  • SalieriSalieri
    Even if read (i.e. sung) in Latin, The readings should be proclaimed facing the people : their purpose (in both forms) is to teach, though, granted more in the OF than EF.

The historical position for the lessons is facing the people. The Epistle ambo was on the south side of the nave, the Gospel ambo was on the north; the subdeacon reading the epistle to the east wall and the deacon reading the gospel to the north wall were corruptions of the rite, cause by ministers copying what priests did at Low Mass when reading the lessons. (Cf. Alcuin Ried, UM Lang, et al.)
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Opinion survey:

If the entire reform completed by ~1970, had encompassed only the things in this document, plus a reform of the lectionary (not necessarily the one we got) and a reform of the calendar (again not necessarily the one we got), would it have really been a terrible thing?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Me:
    I'm pretty sure there's a good way to argue for ad orientem without confusing the doctrine of the trinity or (what I see more often) making paganistic statements that one is "facing God" while turned in one direction and not while turned in the other.

I'm also pretty sure one should not teach children such disparaging opinions about versus populum celebration.

chonak:
    OK, this objection to the term "versus Deum" is a fair one. What sort of longevity does the term have; what kind of roots; and does it have patristic or biblical support as does the concept of liturgical "east"?

And who uses this term, anyway?

Oh -- one of my favorite thinkers does.

Ratzinger:
    The physical orientation, the Congregation says, must be distinguished from the spiritual. Even if a priest celebrates versus populum, he should always be oriented versus Deum per Iesum Christum (towards God through Jesus Christ). Rites, signs, symbols and words can never exhaust the inner reality of the mystery of salvation. For this reason the Congregation warns against one-sided and rigid positions in this debate.
    This is an important clarification. (emph. added)

I'm not arguing against the symbolic worthiness of ad orientem celebration. As far as I can tell, I "have the mind of the church" on the matter (which is to say- I am conflicted).

What I am against (and I THINK Ratzinger was also against) is the following:
    -the idea that really, a versus populum celebration is somehow "turning away from God."
    -insulting the way most Catholics experience Mass being celebrated
    -fanaticism

I'm particularly disturbed by the account of teaching children that one way of "doing Mass" (which is both licit and usual) is a bad thing. Kids don't nuance that stuff real well, I can see them developing all sorts of unhelpful and uncharitable thoughts about their fellow Catholics.

If they simply see Mass being celebrated ad orientem, and are given a reasonable explanation when and if they ask, no further argument against versus populum is needed.

(Similarly: If I had the good fortune of running a children's choir, I would teach Gregorian Chant and other excellent music. I would not disparage Catholic Folk or P&W or anything else. It's unseemly. And - kids being both honest and astute - it is not needed.)

Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I'm not arguing against the symbolic worthiness of ad orientem celebration. As far as I can tell, I "have the mind of the church" on the matter (which is to say- I am conflicted).

Yes.

What I am against (and I THINK Ratzinger was also against) is the following:
    -the idea that really, a versus populum celebration is somehow "turning away from God."
    -insulting the way most Catholics experience Mass being celebrated
    -fanaticism

If versus populum is, in and of itself, "turning away from God," this sounds so much like the (untrue) argument made by those who welcomed the introduction of versus populum celebration that ad orientem celebration is a priest "turning his back on his congregation."

Both seem like fanatical and silly representations to me.
  • Liam
    Getting too literal with the metaphorical phrasing also risks the danger of eliding the different co-existing ways God is present in the Divine Liturgy that Paul VI described in his encyclical letter, Mysterium Fidei.
  • What I am against ... is the following: the idea that really, a versus populum celebration is somehow "turning away from God." --Adam

Sometimes changing one’s orientation unavoidably means turning away from something else. Requiring the readings to be said versus populum meant ending the practice of saying them towards the liturgical east and north. The old liturgical meaning was lost and a new one created based on the reader and assembly facing one another. This was not at all necessitated by didactic considerations since the assembly could hear the readings regardless of the reader’s orientation.

The effect on the liturgy is substantial. In the old setup, the assembly is invited via the liturgy to “actively participate” in proclaiming the gospel to all the nations, a proclamation made towards the liturgical north, historically the lands of the barbarian kingdoms. In the new setup, the assembly passively listens to the gospel which is directed at them.

Also, as a purely subjective matter, having the readings addressed specifically to the assembly helps reshape the liturgy into “a bunch of people talking to each other” as opposed to “a bunch of people talking to someone else.”
    Thanked by 1Felicity
  • Yikes! I set off quite a firestorm.

My middle son, then in his first Holy Communion class, asked me, "Daddy: why in the English Mass does the priest have his back to Jesus". We were attending a parish which celebrated the EF exclusively at this time, but he remembered other places where this had not been true.

If a 7 yr old can see that Christ is in the Tabernacle, in a unique way, why can others not?

What I did was anticipate the "The priest has his back to the people" nonsense. Sure, it's physically true, but the same thing is true when a driver......, and hence the analogy.

Fr. Krisman,

I'm not the Pope's MC. Next time you're in Rome, you could raise the question with him, I suppose. Of course our orientation should be toward God, whether our physical position is facing the tabernacle and the crucifix or the nave. I didn't discuss His Holiness in my presentation, and I wasn't being polemical or fanatical or whatever other term someone would like to throw at me. I also didn't discuss any parish in the diocese. Instead of entering into a "which is better?" argument, I thought merely to present the aspects people would find unusual, and explain the reasons for the unfamiliar posture: he's facing the tabernacle, and he's not praying to us. When the kids start to think of Mass this way, turning toward the Lord is more possible than it is if they don't. (Someone else that evening, trying to be helpful, did criticize the Ordo of Paul VI, and did draw such comparisons as he could. I intentionally jumped in to shift the tone.)

• SkirpRSkirpR
    One will also remember that there exists the possibility of having the Blessed Sacrament reserved in a chapel and the tabernacle not present on the altar, but I don't have the energy to formulate an opinion on this.

I respect those who are drawn to ad orientem, but I don't know why ad orientem and versus populum needs to be an either/or choice? Can't we find the wisdom and value in both? I no longer have the patience to deal with a) people who believe there's nothing wrong with how the OF is typically celebrated, nor b) people who believe the reforms that gave us the OF have no value.
  • Reading through the supplement and leafing through my '64/'65 Missal, I don't mind the changes at all, though I don't know if I'd call them "minor". In any case, I think I still prefer the interim Missal to the current one.

I prefer ad orientem, finding it to have more "wisdom and value", but I'm not against versus populum. Even the EF can be celebrated vp, and in many Roman basilicas ao is vp.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Even the EF can be celebrated vp, and in many Roman basilicas ao is vp.

Including St. Peter's, yes?
  • Yep.
  • tomjaw
    Interestingly my children also have asked why some priests turn their back to God. We only attend the EF, and the two parishes we regularly attend also celebrate the OF ad orientem. They also both have their tabernacle directly behind the high altar.

A couple of clarifications...
    Traditionally the EF has been celebrated ad orientem (towards the east), some books suggest that this is because of an early belief that Christ will return from the East.

Of course many altars and even churches are orientated in such a way as they do not face eastward, so there is an idea of a liturgical east.

A number of Roman Basilica, due to either Geography or the reuse of an earlier building are oriented the wrong way and so in these case ad orientem is also versus populum.

Ad Deum is could be a misunderstanding of ad orientem, or perhaps the result of many people describing the priest turning his back on the people to celebrate the sacrifice ad oriented.

Ad apsidam (towards the apse) is another term that I have heard used.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It's also worth noting that, prior to Christianity, pagan priests offered their sacrifices at an altar in front of a idol, and faced that idol (with their back turned away form any people who happened to be there) while doing so. It wouldn't occur to them to face the people: the sacrifice isn't for them.

One could make some kind of argument based on this point for or against either orientation. I only bring it up because: when the Eucharistic transitioned from being a small house gathering centered on a meal and became a State Religion with public liturgy ("the work for the people" - the word used to describe the public ritual of the Roman Empire), I don't think it would have occurred to anyone to turn around and address the prayers in the direction of the people. (Although - like with St. Peter's - I am sure that some of the pagan temples were built in such a way as to make the sacrifices more visible - more theatrical, even.)

I imagine the first generation of State-Religion priests had been pagan priests right up until they were told they need to be baptized. I'm sure some of them experienced a conversion. I also imagine some of them simply felt like they were doing essentially the same thing with different God-names. (And let's not forget that "Zeus" and "Jupiter" aren't just proper names of specific deities, but literally mean "God" and "Father-God.")

I don't think this is ALL THAT RELEVANT to the question today- and I certainly do not want to suggest that I think ad orientem is a pagan practice (though I do think that some of the explanations used to defend it border on a sort of paganistic idolatrous mode of thinking about the presence of God).

I'm only mentioning it because, in a historical context, its important to notice that the notion that one would face one direction instead of the other seems like a fairly modern concern.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Also, one thing that has always struck me:

This issue seems to be one of those where the "two sides" hold what I think should be the other one's opinion.

Ad orientem strikes me as illustrating that the Priest comes to God as a representative of the people. He faces the Tabernacle, which houses the presence of Christ, and prays to God the Father, almost literally "through" the Son. He stands at the head of the people, but as one of their number.

On the other hand, when facing towards the people, it seems to me that the priest better displays his role as the person of Christ. He faces the congregation, acting as God's minister to us, as Christ does. This is reinforced by the visual similarity between the priest (especially when standing with arms outstretched) and the image of Christ on the crucifix directly above and behind him.

And yet.... generally speaking.... proponents of each of these orientations tend to have a conception of the priesthood (and his role in the Mass) that seems more consistent with the other orientation's apparent (to me) symbolism.
  • Andrew_Malton
    No, it is perfectly consistent.

Christ offers himself to the Father.

Christ prays to the Father for us, for the Church.

The ministry of the priest is never "to the people" during the liturgy.

Also, there is no evidence that Catholic priesthood of Rome consisted of pagan priests who were just kinda doing the same thing except for a different god name. Adam, are you channeling some 19th century Protestant? The priesthood emerges from the episcopate, refers to the ministry of the apostles, and finds its origin in the levitical priesthood of the Temple in Jerusalem. Nothing to do historically with the flamines and what not, nothing at all.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Also, there is no evidence that Catholic priesthood of Rome consisted of pagan priests who were just kinda doing the same thing except for a different god name.
    Adam, are you channeling some 19th century Protestant? The priesthood emerges from the episcopate, refers to the injury of the apostles, and finds its origin in the levitical priesthood of the Temple in Jerusalem.

I'm not disputing the theological basis for the Christian priesthood. Nor do I think that there was nothing like priests and liturgy prior to Constantine.

But really- do you think it is even remotely likely that some (or perhaps many) pagan priests WERE NOT converted and became Christian priests? You think that this wouldn't have had an effect on the way public liturgy was celebrated?

The Roman Empire had a well-developed state religion, with its own bureaucracy and habits. You don't think that it survived its own Baptism? You think that when Christianity became legal all the Bishops and Presbyters came out of hiding and the pagan priests stepped aside, handed over the building keys and alarm codes and said, "Good luck!"?

That doesn't even make any sense.

You don't have to mythologize history in order to believe that Catholic cultic practices are right and just.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    No, it is perfectly consistent.

Christ offers himself to the Father.

Christ prays to the Father for us, for the Church.

The ministry of the priest is never "to the people" during the liturgy.

You seem to be arguing specifically in favor of ad orientem, which is fine. But I wasn't trying to say that one is better than the other, or that either one makes false representations.

I was just observing that there seems to be an inconsistency.

To put it in ruder words:
    Traddies seem to have a higher conception of the clergy, generally speaking, while progressives seem to want to think of priests as essentially no different than the laity. This is particularly true within the context of the Mass, where traditionalists would speak of the priest being the one who "says" or "celebrates" Mass, while many progressives/liberals seem to prefer words like "preside" or "lead."

And yet the orientation of the priest's prayers that each of these groups favors is the opposite of what you might expect, based on that fact.

That is the only point I was trying to make about that.

----
    And, though it mildly pains me to say it- It is probably the case that traditional orientation is a better representation of the totality of both sides of the question (Priest as Christ, Priest as People), since - in the traditional form of the Rite - the Priest turns back and forth between the two directions, acting as an intermediary of sorts in a divine form of shuttle diplomacy.
  • Andrew_Malton
    I don't think there were very many pagan priests by the fourth century, but I suppose some of them might have converted, and I hope so.

As for the rest, no, no, yes, yes, yes, and yes. And it may be part of our founding myth but it is also history.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    When the current St. Peters was built, excavating around the altar and tomb of St. Peter was forbidden. The altar in the original building faced east and doors were thrown open to the rising sun while people and priest faced east - a method of construction followed in churches built by Constantine and his mother. The altar in the current St. Peters seems off because of its placement in the footprint of the original building - so says Gamber. Read his book, if you haven't already. Lot's of good information there.

Liturgical east? Another concept originated by overly creative Latins. In the eastern churches, altars face actual east because it is tradition. Many also believe that is the direction from which Christ will return. Again, tradition.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    no, no, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

sorry... i'm not sure which these were directed towards
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Liam
    Andrew, paganism was not abolished by Constantine. It wasn't until Theodosious I that Christianity became "established" as the cultus of the Roman state (technically, in the intervening generations, Christianity was tolerated and favored, except during the reign of Julian, of course). Pagan Roman culture remained quite active in this first part of Late Antiquity, though often subject to what might today be thought of as proto-progroms, until Justinian brought the broom more firmly down.
  • GavinGavin
    I am a staunch advocate for facing liturgical east. I think the rubrics of the Mass ought to be reformed to insist upon "ad orientem" posture. I believe that the introduction of Mass facing the congregation is the greatest error of the postconcilliar reform and the source of many further abuses.

That said, I find the argument from "the priest turned his back on Christ" to be bordering on ridiculous. No, not bordering, but the capital of Ridiculousville. It's no different from "the priest turned his back on us" coming from the progressive circles. By this logic, the priest ought to process away from the altar by stepping backwards, lest he commit the (apparently horrible) offense of "turning his back on Christ." Of course Christ is present in the tabernacle. He is also present in the gathered assembly, corporately and individually. He is present in the proclaimed Word. He is present upon the altar in the consecrated Species. It's a question of relevance. The Mass is NOT offered to the tabernacle, or to its Resident. It is offered to God the Father. The "Eastward" orientation IS superior because it better communicates that, but the tabernacle ought to have nothing to do with it.

I guess I don't mind too much if people use faulty arguments to agitate for ad orientem, as long as it happens. For my own part, I adhere strongly to Adam's progressive argument about. The ad orientem posture casts the priest in an egalitarian manner. He is one of us, acting with us. As opposed to Mass facing the congregation, in which the priest is a superior, a speaker and actor to whom alone we owe all attention and honor. I suppose the maps others draw may place MY argument as the capital of Ridiculousville. I guess that's ok, too, as long as we're both arguing for the same good.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Thank you for stating my position so well. Since I have a personal preference for versus populum, I think maybe my point gets jumbled or something. But seeing it re-stated and affirmed by someone who clearly prefers ad orientem makes me feel a bit more legitimate about it

I guess that's ok, too, as long as we're both arguing for the same good.

I have mixed feelings about this, actually. If I champion the use of Latin because I think it's an important part of cultural heritage, and someone else champions it because they think it is a magical language, spoken by fairies and leprechauns, then there is still a wide chasm to bridge. And (out in the world, when talking to people who don't agree with whatever particular practices) it can be directly harmful (I think) to loudly argue the right thing for the wrong reason. (It can give easy fodder for those who disagree with the practice.) - We shouldn't build our own strawmen straw-folk.
    Thanked by 1SkirpR
  • @Gavin
    By this logic, the priest ought to process away from the altar by stepping backwards, lest he commit the (apparently horrible) offense of "turning his back on Christ."

There are sedevacantist chapels where the laity must file out backward for this very reason.
    The Mass is NOT offered to the tabernacle, or to its Resident. . . . The "Eastward" orientation IS superior because it better communicates that, but the tabernacle ought to have nothing to do with it.

Exactly. I more than suspect that one of the motivations some reformers had for moving tabernacles after the Council was to correct distorted ideas about the importance of the tabernacle, just like the chalice was withheld from the laity to correct distorted ideas about the importance of reception under both species. To hear some people talk about it, you'd think it was theologically impossible to have Mass at an altar without the reserved Sacrament (the majority of Catholic history counting for nothing, I suppose).
    The ad orientem posture casts the priest in an egalitarian manner. He is one of us, acting with us.

This points, I think, to the big potential problem with ad orientem. It can be this way -- and it certainly ought to be. But the priest can also be facing away from the people in a fashion that conveys that he simply has no connection with them -- and they have no particular connection with the liturgical action at the altar -- but rather that he is just engaged in a private affair which doesn't happen to involve anybody else.

I have been to more than a few low Masses with this aesthetic, where the priest and servers sneak out of a sacristy door up to the altar before you realize it, do their stuff for 25 minutes without so much as casting a glance at the people gathered there ... eventually Communion is offered ... and then they slip wordlessly back into the sacristy, not to be seen again. When pre-Conciliar popes -- and they were no dummies -- decried the "dumb, mute audience" effect at Mass, this is what they were talking about. I'm pretty sure it amounts to a large part of what made many people dislike ad orientem. It is a double-edged sword: done with the right mentality, it can convey profoundly that we are being led to Christ by someone who is, as you say, "one of us"; with the wrong mentality, that we are dimly tolerated onlookers as someone who is definitely not "one of us" goes about some important business.

I have thought about this off and on for some time, and I wish I had better, more concrete ideas for positive action here. I suspect that something as simple as paying due attention to the congregation before and/or after Mass could make a substantial improvement in how the ad orientem posture during the rite itself is viewed.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • At the church where I made my First Communion, St. Angela's, Mattapan,
    the old altar was detached from the retable and moved forward, to allow the priest to say Mass versus populum. I've seen this done in other churches as well, for example, Immaculate Conception, Malden. This is fitting, and pleasing to my eye. I'm not distracted during Mass, by any reflection that the old altar, and by extension the old rite, was abandoned.

On the other hand, when the old altar is not honored, in favor of a table that is usually plainer and smaller, then I'm usually tempted with melancholy about lost glory, and men's itchy ears. One sanctuary that startles me with visual dissonance is St. Paul's, Cambridge. The old marble altar is still in place. A faux marble panel covers the old tabernacle door. The celebrant's chair is set, where once he stood to lift the consecrated sacrifice. During the readings, he sits there like the Buddha, high above the new altar, centered in the sightlines from the pews. Although I've been there hundreds of times for Mass, and respect the care given to the liturgy both before and after the Council, I still regret this awkwardness afresh.

I like the Mass versus populum. To see better the priest and his actions was a privilege for altarboys in the old rite. Let's extend this to the congregation as well. It helps guide the worshipper to see the priest in persona Christi, at the Last Supper.

I like the Mass ad orientem. To see the priest as chosen from among men, to step forward and to bring our sacrifice to the numinous God in His holy place, can lead the worshipper to awe.

If the Church's leaders want new churches built for the Mass versus populum, then I can respect that. If they want the Mass versum populum in an old church, then they must spend the money to renovate thoughtfully.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The decision to build new churches in such a way as to celebrate facing the people seems like a question of opinion and (to some extent) theological orientation (ha ha). Given the directives from Rome over the last 50 years, I think any instance of it is understandable.

But (and I say this as someone who prefers versus populum) the desecration of existing sanctuaries- in some case, ancient sanctuaries of historical and cultural notability - in order to avoid ad orientem at seemingly any cost - strikes me as a great tragedy, the total sum of which (across countless churches throughout Christendom) rivals the loss caused by the Puritans in England or the Taliban in Afghanistan.
  • Liam
    Chris

That presider's chair should be moved down and over to the south side of the sanctuary. It only arguably belongs in that high central spot if the ordinary is presiding.
  • SalieriSalieri
    (Warning, personal opinion!)

To be frank, I have only seen very few instances where I don't mind versus populum; and that is with priests who truly understand to a significant degree the real ars celebrandi of the Mass. The problem that I think most of us encounter most often is the 'talk-show' priest who gives a very affected reading of the rites, either in an overly chatty way or in an overly dramatic way (THIS!!!!!!!! [dramatic pause] is MY!!!!!!!!!!!! BODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!); and I do have to say that this, in our televisual age, is more likely to occur at liturgical celebrations versus populum, where the priest feels like he needs to "engage" the congregation. Ad orientem has a way of almost 'hiding' the person of the priest, simply because he can't make eye contact with anyone, and therefore cannot be pressured into feeling like he has to 'perform' for them.

On a side note, my pastor has celebrated Mass ad orientem (OF) and prefers it because he feels that he can focus more on what he's about because he's not destracted by the little kids running down the centre isle with Mommy running after them during the Canon; however 98 percent of all our Masses are versus populum simply because he fears ruffling any feathers in the presbyterate.

Versus populum is one of those things (like concelebration, lay readers, EMHCs, and so on) that whilst in theory may be benificial, has oft proved in practice to be seriously misguided, and realy a distraction during and detraction from the sacred liturgy.

Also the denuding of sanctuaries after Vatican II was realy, as Adam noted, a great loss of art, history, culture, etc., as were the outcome of many other reforms after the council. It bothers me no end to think of the work of men like AWN Pugin, Gueranger (who should be a saint), Mary Berry, and so many others to tried to restore good liturgical practice, music, appointments, architecture, etc., and their principles go down the tubes in favour of polyester ponchos and 'art' that looks like it came from the dustbin of the first grade art room.

I could go on and on, but right now I feel that I should shut up.
  • To bring the 1964/5 rite back in, I know one of the books about it from that era had a wonderful chapter describing the rite as though the reader had dropped in from Mars, albeit a Martian with some good liturgical training, as the description went ahead and used standard liturgical terms with no explanation. Anyway, the book made the point that even if the altar is pulled forward and used versus populum, the tabernacle could still be on it, albeit quite a bit shorter and perhaps recessed into the altar's mensa. Anyone ever see this? I gather the idea didn't catch on.