Discussion of CMAA at NPM
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Roundtable at Pray Tell mentions the age difference between the NPM convention and CMAA colloquium:
    http://www.praytellblog.com/index.php/2013/07/29/pray-tell-live-roundtable-discussion/

Tip of the hat to Joe Balistreri talking about this.

There are also lots of interesting topics brought up in this discussion... Of course, it is rather short, so they couldn't really go in-depth on some of the topics, sadly. Kudos to Fr. Ruff for these.
  • Kathy
    Whoa. That was brilliant, Joe!
  • francis
    Fascinating views emerging in the 'post modern' church! Our condolences to the 2nd Viennese School (brutalism?) on the death of your vision. We like a little bit of your dissonance and will try to include it judiciously in our continued consonance.
  • chonakchonak
    "Brutalism" refers to the un-decorative concrete architecture of the '60s and '70s.

It was good to hear how all of the panelists are chant practitioners.

Some comments I was happy to hear:
    07:39: Some props to CMAA for sharing chant resources on the net, and for 'open-source' sharing;
    09:06: The influence of Pope Benedict's writings on the liturgy is reaching parish musicians;
    14:40: Joe's surprise at how few young people were at the NPM convention;
    31:30: Fr. Funk on the 'hermeneutic of continuity'
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Viennese School ... dissonance (etc)

I once had a theory teacher claim that dissonance is what makes music beautiful.
    No, I countered- Consonance makes music beautiful. Dissonance makes it interesting.

(He from the composition department I could not stand to be in for more than one semester.)
  • BenBen
    14:40: Joe's surprise at how few young people were at the NPM convention;

Yep. All the young hipsters are all too busy going out to buy their graduals to go to that NPM workship.
    Thanked by 3Jenny bkenney27 Mark M.
  • BenBen
    Consonance makes music beautiful. Dissonance makes it interesting.

This.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I do hope, in the interest of integrity and fair play, that when we comment upon this subject, that those who do comment have watched (like Richard demonstrates) the Pray Tell livestream or archive footage of the discussions, as difficult as some might find that notion.
    I also brought up the Balistreri comment over at PTB yesterday, as it was met by AWR and other panelists with pretty much silence, tho' they did remark quite candidly about the predominance of boomers of the 2800 or so in DC.
    Again, I think it's a worthwhile investment for any CMAA member to take in these webcasts as it's certainly a sign of earnest intent for PTB to offer these to the general public. As I remarked to someone privately, in Pr. Ferrone's address, there's enough nuanced propaganda (only IMO) to drive a truck through. But, that's not what I recommend we do, have more "conversations" like people blabber on about the Zimmerman case. We need to reply with actions, facts, testimonies and evidence, much as like Fr. Barron conducts his video discourses. YMMV.
    Thanked by 2Andrew Motyka donr
  • I did watch the video, but did not finish....I chose to click to another video because I did not like the music.

I'm just being Catholic.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • francis
    chonak

Yes, I realize the term 'brutalism' is applied to architecture, but I rather like adopting it for the serialists! It's quite a fitting parallel!
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • This was very interesting. We must do this next year at the Colloq
    Thanked by 2Spriggo ryand
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yes, I realize the term 'brutalism' is applied to architecture, but I rather like adopting it for the serialists! It's quite a fitting parallel!

I agree. I think the conception fits.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • GavinGavin
    I like serial music. In the same way that I like brutalist architecture. I look at a building such as that for about 10 seconds and think "WOW that's ugly," but marvel at the strong emotional content contained in such a formless structure. Then drive on, hoping to look at something more beautiful.

Same thing with serialism. It disturbs me, and I like that. Then I put on something more pleasing.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood francis
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Unfortunately, public architecture (unlike art music) cannot be avoided by people not desiring to be disturbed.
  • GavinGavin
    On the contrary, I have a high-end sound system, and I enjoy making other cars rattle to Wozzeck.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • awruff
    There are about 110 people under 21 at NPM registered and/or serving as youth volunteer. We don't know how many people under 30 are at the convention but it's probably a two or three hundred.
    awr
  • matthewjmatthewj
    While I don't speak for Mr. Balistreri, I think he was talking percentages not legitimate numbers.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Spriggo
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks again for the video, Fr. Ruff! Having seen a couple of the clips on YouTube, we know that you old folks, I mean the old folks, definitely aren't alone there :-) Whatever the figure is: 10% or whatever, it's an expression of interest!
  • CharlesW
    On the contrary, I have a high-end sound system, and I enjoy making other cars rattle to Wozzeck.

YOU are the one driving by my house at 3:00 a.m. with sub-woofers thumping, you party animal. ;-)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    To be [disturbed] or not to be [disturbed]. That is the question. Who has the solution? I recently employed this techique at the concert hall last week when a well known opera singer did her thing.
    278 x 181 - 7K
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I guess I'm just getting old, but 30 or 31 is not "young" anymore? We are talking about how many people are under 30, not how many under 50, or 45, or 40???
  • elaine60elaine60
    It struck me also when I attended a CMAA event in St. Louis how many young people were there-even high school age. It was wonderful to see.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Sadly, I'm not young anymore. I haven't even been young for a long, long time. But my children and grandchildren do their best to make me feel young.