Honora Dominum!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Honora Dominum de tua subsubstantia, et de primitiis frugum tuarum: et implebuntur horrea tua saturitate, et vino torcularia redundabunt.

The Communio for this coming Sunday (in the EF) is especially beautiful, I think, and so appropriate for the season with its mention of barns filled to the top and winepresses overflowing. Even though I finally started my own garden last week, seeing all the new plants popping up is always a cause for wonder.

The inimitable Dom Johner has this to say, ending with some good advice for choir directors:

"These four phrases are like so many strophes of an intimate and appealing song, one over which the good odor of the earth, the fragrance of gardens and of fresh wine seems to hover . . . Clearness and joy characterize the melody, rather than solemnity. Holy Communion is the life-giving bread, the never-failing wine which gives strength to the soul.
    Would that we choir directors ever derived new energy from the celebration of the sacred Mysteries, in order to glorify the Lord with all our strength (substdntia) and to offer Him the noblest and the best!"
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen smvanroode
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    For the majority who celebrate the Ordinary Form and are confused: this particular communion antiphon is sung on the 17th Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B). In the Extraordinary Form this communion is sung on the 11th Sunday after Pentecost, which is on August 4 this year.

John Murrett, M.M. has this to say about the communion antiphon:

"'Give honor to the Lord with what you have, and with the first of your fruits; then your barns will be filled with abundance, and your wine presses will run over with wine.' There are two commands in the first part of the this song, and then two promises. It is God the Father speaking to us, telling us that if we are mindful of Him, He will reward beyond measure our offerings of sacrifice. In our offertory we gave ourselves, and now in holy Communion God gives us back our gifts, consecrated–Himself entirely. The music also seems to accentuate the four divisions: the simplicity of honora Dominum is followed by the heights to which we may reach with our gifts; but then God goes still higher (impleantur horrea), piling up His gifts for us. The limpid flow of the last phrase seems to portray the wine running through the presses.
    Perhaps we can best sum up today's liturgy (both words and music) in this thought: we should continually praise God for the benefits that have come to us since our baptism. We have risen with Christ to a life of generosity in His service. God's arm is not shortened rewarding us."

Explanations like those of Johner and Murrett (and others) deepen our understanding of the texts of the Mass propers and enable us to incorporate these texts in our private prayers. They are essential for the "full, conscious and active participation" of the faithful.

There should be a similar collection of reflections on the propers for the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite!
    Thanked by 2JulieColl CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    That would be very useful, I agree. Thanks for mentioning Murrett and for the passage from him. I will look him up.
  • Felicity
    smvanroode,

Thank you for mentioning Fr. Murrett.

Deo gratias!
    Felicity