Using the Missal for the Introductory Rites
  • Chris HebardChris Hebard
    How does your parish priest do this? He should be at the chair for the sign of the cross etc., arms raised in the orans position.

1) Does he do it by memory?

2) Does he hold and read from a) the Missal, b) mass card, or c) pew book?

3) Does a minister hold the Missal, so the priest can read it?

In almost all cases, I observe a server hold the Missal for the priest at the Collect, but everything before that varies. One retired priest who assists at our parish always skips the sign of the cross, and the closing prayer of the penitential rite, because he's reading a congregational mass card that doesn't include them.

The pastor is now aware of this, and is inclined to provide a different card or printout for the priest. I think it would be easier . . and look better . . if the altar server held the Missal for the priest from the start.
  • JahazaJahaza
    We began using the missal for the introductory rites at our Sunday high Mass when the new translation came in and have continued to use it even now that the celebrants presumably know them by heart.
    Thanked by 1Chris Hebard
  • melofluentmelofluent
    3, Deo gratias.
    Thanked by 1Chris Hebard
  • Spriggo
    3 if not 1. Never 2.
    Thanked by 1Chris Hebard
  • CharlesW
    3, always.
    Thanked by 1Chris Hebard
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I'm amazed at how often I've encountered priests forget the Sign of the Cross at the beginning of Mass. Somewhere along my formation - I can't remember where - there was a priest who would always say, "We begin as we begin all good things: In the name of the Father..." While it's not in the "script," at least saying that to himself would help a priest to remember to do it!
    Thanked by 1Chris Hebard
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    4, reads from the Missal on the altar. Yes, I know, I know.
    Thanked by 2Chris Hebard Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    1, and, alas, they still pad the rite with their own talk (improvised tropes for the Kyrie, etc.)
    Thanked by 1Chris Hebard
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Our Priest always has a server hold the Missal for him, when a server is present: we often do not have a server at Mass on Saturdays, but almost always on Sundays. If there is no server, he will prop it up on the altar so he can see it (the chair is behind the altar and off to the side, but close enough so he can still see the book).
    Thanked by 1Chris Hebard
  • Carl DCarl D
    Our Priest has a stand for precisely this purpose.
    Thanked by 1ronkrisman
  • ronkrisman
    Our Priest has a stand for precisely this purpose.

Yes, if there is no server to hold the Missal, place a lectern near the chair, don't use the altar as a lectern.
  • GavinGavin
    "don't use the altar as a lectern. "

Or vice versa. (Seen it.)
  • BenBen
    Around here, priests tend to do 1, though when I'm serving or MC, I usually opt for 3, and they don't mind.

Maybe our formation is better than most, but I've only seen the sign of the cross forgotten once or twice.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    The nice thing about teaching at a Catholic school is that there are always servers available, at least for the Masses the school attends.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Slightly more to the musica sacra point, albeit not the original question, I would like to know 4) if the music of the introductory rites is actually sung, and if so how much, up to where?