In case you thought the carnival was over...
  • Scott_WScott_W
    The bishops play "Simon says" with guy in desperate need of swirlie.

Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • Kathy
    I think this was the planned, announced, flash mob.

The guy who needs a swirlie is what is known as an "animator." Yes, that is a thing.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "Oh, Kathy, give it a rest, put on your sequin pumps and get widda paahhhr-tay!" says the little red guy with a tail sitting on your left shoulder.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Kathy
    Up with Catholics!
  • expeditus1
    Haven't people figured out yet that if you're looking for a good party time, the secular world does it sooo much better? When the Church tries to "get down with it," it puts the corn in "corny."
    Thanked by 2francis R J Stove
  • CharlesW
    Take our bishops - please!
  • munus ineptiendi
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Haven't people figured out yet that if you're looking for a good party time, the secular world does it sooo much better? When the Church tries to "get down with it," it puts the corn in "corny."

I think that was the point. I for one was glad they we were willing to look a little corny in this kind of situation. As long as it wasn't happening during the liturgy, I see no problem with this. It's like putting the pastor, school principal, music director, etc. in the dunk-tank to raise money for a worthy cause.
    Thanked by 1TheUbiquitous
  • expeditus1
    Are the bishops singing, "I'm Bringing Corny Back!" while they perform their lame choreography?

Regal? Not so much.
  • francis
    Entertainment? Give me a glass of wine and a Claude Bolling recording.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Well, that was vibrant, wasn't it?
    Thanked by 1Ioannes Andreades
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Alas, it would appear that yesterday's video was a warm-up for the real thing. Fr. Z. reports that bishops and priests in full liturgical garb were rockin' and rollin' on Copacabana Beach as a preparation for Mass.

Sure hope they don't take their episcopal 'Sister Act' on the road . . .
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Again, it was before Mass.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I see no problem with this. It's like putting the pastor, school principal, music director, etc. in the dunk-tank to raise money for a worthy cause.

Only if the pastor, school principal, music director, etc. don't already look like this most of the time.

Also, is this really going to be the call from now on? "Hey as long as it is just right before Mass or afterwards, our religious can look like disgraceful self-parodies all they want!" It's like junior-high school when the teacher steps out of the room and it's a spitball war. "Stop guys! Here comes the 'In the name of the Father...' everyone look busy and serious now!"
    Thanked by 1TheUbiquitous
  • CharlesW
    Do you remember when those who held clerical office thought there was something special about what they did? When they saw themselves as set aside for the service of God in his temple? When they did not try to be everyone's best buddy? When they realized that the liturgy was life or death? Good old days? Perhaps, but definitely a different mindset.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Sorry, SkirpR for the duplicate! I thought it was yesterday's video that you had up there.
    I'm a bit discombobulated by all this stuff. : )
  • G
    When we were married, Himself and I joked about each of us telling our respective families, "Oh, I'm sorry but the Catholics/Lutherans from North Dakota/Arizona insist on having goats as part of the ceremony...."
    (And Himself had never read Brideshead.)
    Any chance something like that happened here - the Bishops are being punked?
    “Oh, Mummy, who could have dreamed he’d swallow it? I told him such a lot besides. About the sacred monkeys in the Vatican — all kinds of things.”
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • chonakchonak
    It's a youth rally: the bishops are playing along with the youth by putting up with the same indignities to which the youth are subjected.
  • GavinGavin
    Solidarity.
    Thanked by 1veromary
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Great quote from a comboxer at Mark Shea's blog:

As a military officer, there were activities that I would engage in while in civilian clothing that I would never do while in uniform. That's because while in uniform, it's not about me but about my office and maintaining a level of dignity and decorum for that office because it doesn't belong to me.