Need Something Beautiful Re: Priestly Service or Vocation or ??? for this Sunday (16th Sun. Ord. C)
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    So, I'm bringing my wayward schola down to the Franciscan Monastery (Yes..in DC..yes, it's 100 degrees) at the request of the "Abbot" actually called the "Guardian" -- to sing for his last mass before his transfer. Mass is July 21, this Sunday. Liturgy is planned but cannot find anything with a text that works referring to priestly service, vocation, or any other topic that we can do as a motet in his honor at the end of the mass. I'm a bit off my game and not all that inspired....so could use some ideas....and have to put it together in one rehearsal, which is doable as long as it's not too crazy. AND - there's only one or two voices on each part. Any thoughts? Many thanks.
  • Kathy
    How about a Te Deum?
    Thanked by 3Ben tomboysuze CHGiffen
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    I was thinking about that.... can you suggest something snazzy? Thing is, we'd have to do it a cappella - as the organist tends toward "ball park" if you know what I mean. But such a sweet, sweet guy.
  • chonakchonak
    "Christus VIncit" might be suitable.

Oh - note that you have to get the names of the Pope and the bishop in Latin, in the dative case, for this: Francisco and (I hope this is right:) Donaldo.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomboysuze
  • hartleymartin
    A setting of Tu es Sacerdos?
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Ecce Sacerdos Magnus?

• chonakchonak
    I've heard that sung for a bishop's procession: is it done for priests too?
  • I'd look at the propers for an Abbot, then go to cpdl and see if they have any polyphonic settings.
    Fidelis servus is one, IIRC.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Paul F. Ford
    The attached is from the Simple Gradual, the Mass for Vocations to the Sacrament of Orders and to the Religious LIfe.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • MHIMHI
  • ;) I knew I'd regret using the inappropriate descriptive term; 'snazzy' - but I couldn't help it for some reason that now escapes me....but THANKS everyone. Your input was very much appreciated! Esp. Dr. Ford - many thanks.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Another alternative : "How lovely are the Messengers" by Mendelssohn

parts link: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1E33B06743F8A7E9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ett_thxCvmg&list=PL1E33B06743F8A7E9
  • Tu es sacerdos?

(No, that's not a question about the original poster. It's a suggestion for music. I think the piece is in the St. Gregory hymnal, and it might be called Juravit Dominus.)