"New" Adoremus Hymnal
  • EDIT:
    Off topic any way.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I don't think I'd completely like any hymnal, ever. Maybe I'd like one I made myself, but I think after a few months, I wouldn't like that one either.

I have read that in the university textbook business there's been a recent trend where the publishers have begun (reluctantly) to allow instructors to create their own textbook consisting of only the chapters they want from a given textbook, at a reduced cost for the students.

I wonder if it might be possible in this day and age - eventually, and likely after much kicking and screaming - for hymnal publishers to do the same. Thoughts? Fr. Krisman?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Gosh, I would love that. The ability to include the things that I know we will use and to eschew those that aren't as useful to me would be amazing!
  • It can be done today, by any publisher. However, it eats into profits since printing thousands upon thousands of one book cuts the cost tremendously. Printing and shipping "one of" books costs more - still affordable, but more. I think most people would pay the difference - but most churches would not.
  • ronkrisman
    I wonder if it might be possible in this day and age - eventually, and likely after much kicking and screaming - for hymnal publishers to do the same. Thoughts? Fr. Krisman?

That was actually attempted sometime between the late-1960's and mid-1970's. I believe WLP was the promoter, but I think GIA and other publlishers also bought into the concept: making individual hymns/psalms/songs available singly and coded for assembling in an individual looseleaf-binder hymnal. One practical problem was that hymns were easily pulled out of the binder. The experiment did not last for long.

Perhaps other viejitos/as (a term of endearment for us "seniors") will have some recollections.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    One practical problem was that hymns were easily pulled out of the binder. The experiment did not last for long.

But with today's print-on-demand technology, I don't imagine that would be a problem now.

Yes, BUT, in regards to this post, for those that use this hymnal, what do you use/like about versus the 1st edition?

Apologies for hijacking your thread! Does anyone have an answer for her?
  • marajoymarajoy
    Also, apparently OCP currently doesn't have a problem with pages being pulled out. (AFAIK, All their hymnal accompaniments are open-able binders.)
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Also, apparently OCP currently doesn't have a problem with pages being pulled out. (AFAIK, All their hymnal accompaniments are open-able binders.)

A number of publishers let you pull music out of accompaniment binders. I think Fr. Krisman was talking about the actual hymnals in the pews.

I am thankful for this, as it lets me put the music in a smaller binder from liturgy to liturgy or spread them out across the music stand.
  • Bobby Bolin
    Take a look at Horst Buchholz's St. Francis Mass
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    I have also considered purchasing the Adoremus organ edition as an alternative to using the loose-leaf accompaniment binders, which really aren't useful because they don't stay on a music stand very well, and I have to halfway dismantle them just to be able to play at Mass. I would prefer an accompaniment book (such as the landscape type used in RitualSong).