Hazards of cutting and pasting job descriptions:
  • Degree or equivalent in Music or related field, experience with choral conduction, instrumentation, music composition, arrangement for diverse instrumentation, and administration of a large music program.

Dear Father,

I'm interested in applying - could you please explain what related fields you find acceptable before I make my application? And, as long as we are clarifying, what do you consider to be equivalent to having earned a degree?
  • chonakchonak
    I can understand "degree or equivalent". Some conservatories award a certificate instead of a degree.

What about the conduction? I've heard of heat conduction and electrical conduction. Maybe choral conduction is the same thing. :-)
  • Many will consider a certain number of years experience in lieu of a degree.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Fresh coral from the sea has good coral conduction of the electrical variety.
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • CharlesW
    Bet sparks fly during those coral performances.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Dance and Theatre are both related fields...
  • TCJ
    Several times I've seen some churches that specify five years of experience to be sufficient to replace a degree. Others aren't very specific.
  • CharlesW
    And others wouldn't know the difference, sadly!
    Thanked by 1kevinf
  • Dance and Theatre are both related fields...

If so, so are mime and square dancing.

There ARE no related fields that apply here. Music is Music, Math is Math. There are specialities within music so it could read Music (including special unrelated emphasis within the field) but since dance and theater use music does not make them music.

"Why yes, Father, I'm qualified in a related field. I worked 5 years and also have an advanced degree from a major Catholic University in juggling as a mime while humming Gregorian Chant tunes, since I could never master reading, nor singing, the chants. When do I start? And where's the OCP quarterly book I use to pick the hymns?

Do you want the INVISIBLE WALL where the cantor stands or do you have a better place in mind?"
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If so, so are mime and square dancing.

There ARE no related fields that apply here.

Yes and yes, which was my point.
    Lots of fields are related.
  • We need smiley faces...I thought you were serious!
  • MarkThompson
    There ARE no related fields that apply here.

Music education is a related field that applies here.
  • Oh, Mark! Good one! Music Therapy? Music History? Music Theory! Music Technology! Music Reviewing! Music Deconstruction!

I'm afraid Music Ed...might be borderline. Though there are some in the field that can and do work wonders in a Catholic church.

But if it's instrumental music ed, a bit harder.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Music Therapy? Music History? Music Theory! Music Technology! Music Reviewing! Music Deconstruction!

I'm afraid Music Ed...might be borderline. Though there are some in the field that can and do work wonders in a Catholic church.

But if it's instrumental music ed, a bit harder.

Before receiving my most recent degree in choral conducting, my previous degrees are in music technology/composition, and music theory. Just saying...
    Thanked by 1MarkThompson
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Theology/Liturgy would be a related field as well, as long as there is also musical competence.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • MarkThompson

By those lights a "music degree" is also borderline. There are some with music degrees who can and do work wonders in a Catholic church ... and then there are some with performance degrees in saxophone. I think I would rather have someone who went to school for music ed and then directed a high school choir for ten years.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Liam
    I think a Master of Social Work would be equivalent....
    Thanked by 2Spriggo Kathy
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Actually, I think Music Ed, Music Theory, Music History... those are all "degrees in Music."

In fact, the LEAST QUALIFYING, ALMOST QUALIFYING degree is probably the one I have, which most closely hews to the stated requirement: BA in Music.

What you REALLY want is a degree in Sacred Music. From there, you could say "related fields" include Music performance (particularly choral, vocal, or keyboard), music education (particularly choral), some otherwise-named equivalent ("Liturgical Music", "Church Music"), some appropriate combination (a degree in some form of music, along with a degree in theology, divinity, liturgics or etc), or some combination of education and experience.

We've been over this before. Degrees are but a proxy for knowledge and skill. In some cases a very good one (I would expect someone with a performance degree in organ to be a better organist than someone who is essentially self-taught), at other times they are meaningless (oh, you have a Church Music certificate from a state university? How nice for you).

Job descriptions should explain what the person will be expected to be able to do. Job applicants should do their best to to explain why they are qualified to do it.
  • SalieriSalieri
    A friend of mine was once asked why he didn't have his degree hanging in his office at work. His response: he has it hanging up in the bathroom at his house: it was the only suitable place he could find.