books for a course on sacred music
  • teachermom24
    I'd like to do a course on sacred music for my 8th grade daughter's religion class this coming school year (homeschool)--just have the idea and not sure how to format the course yet but I envision something of a survey course on sacred music, more history than technique. Does anyone have book suggestions that would appeal to a 13yo girl? I've collected a fat notebook of articles from this site but would like to find some books.

Thanks!

Kathy
  • WendiWendi
    I'd like that as well. My daughter is 14 and my son is 13.
  • All,

I'm in the process of preparing such a course for my own son, who will be 14 this week, but it's not ready to go to press yet.

Thoughts: I would begin with a discussion of the Greeks, and modes.
    Gradually, music developed. There were rules which were followed.
    Ut queant laxis.
    Sacred Music is distinct from merely religious music.
    Both of the preceding are distinct from profane music. (Profane doesn't
    have to be a synonym for "evil"; by origin it means "in front of - i.e., outside or not yet ready for -- the temple.

Choral music is distinct from instrumental music.
  • teachermom24
    I was thinking of starting with the Hebrew psalms . . . maybe this would involve some investigation of the origins of the Jewish cantor and their tones.

We also have "Why Catholics Can't Sing" which has a lot of good background of sacred music. I finally purchased "Words With Wings" so may end the year with this.

I think I might include a unit on "saints and music".

Hmmm . . . this is starting to sound like fun!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    cgz- careful you don't mix too much folklore and opinion into this.
    For example-
    The Greek modes (for example) were applied to Western music ex post facto (as were the rules of Classical Latin grammar...)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • canadashcanadash
    If you do publish something like this there are good homeschool schools out there and it may be of benefit to approach them. I would appreciate such a resource as well.
  • MHIMHI
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    I think that's why he finished with the dots... Thanks for the chuckle though.
    Thanked by 1MHI
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    How were Latin grammatical rules applied to Western music, exactly?

I'm not sure about where your purple-pixe;ed humor is going here, but- read The Page Book. It will answer this question.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I taught a class on sacred music to 7th and 8th grade students for 3 years. It was highly intriguing. The class was once a week for an hour and fifteen minutes. I would always begin by teaching them to read neumes. Then the rest of our year was spent going through specific pieces of chant and polyphony, listening to recordings, looking at translations and the notation, etc. They had many brilliant insights. Also, many of these kids were C&E Catholics - so I would pick other interesting feasts to focus on (Gaudete, Laetare, etc) and I always noticed more of them were in church on those weeks than normal.

The good thing about doing the class for two years was the second year I was able to just do a review of reading neumes before moving on to discussion time (or if they were feeling quiet me reading my essay that I had prepared and then giving them a legitimate test at the end of it).
    Thanked by 3canadash Gavin Geremia
  • MHIMHI
  • chonakchonak
    @teachermom24, you might like to consider the deftly written Student's Guide to Music History by forum member R.J. Stove. A sample chapter -- about sacred music, in fact! -- is available through the linked page. Well, it may be written for students older than 7th or 8th-graders.
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    Sheesh, thanks, Mr. Chonak! When I look at that book now I see only its numerous shortcomings, so I'm glad that someone has found it worth while.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    MHI
    I really did.
    Unless Christopher Page can't be trusted (but I've heard similar things elsewhere, so...)

It seems that during the Franco-Roman period of development (c. 800-1000), the melodies were "fixed" (and new ones written) according to (a misunderstanding, of course) of Greek music theory (the 8 modes) and Latin Classical Grammar (which, itself, had nothing to do with Latin, but had been imported from Greek as well).

Since, by then, the Latin of the Liturgy was an academic language (alive, but not a vernacular), they thought they were reconstructing "the correct" (or "the authentic") Latin by adhering to (their own interpretation of) (imported from Greek) Latin grammar rules and concepts, such as the notion that Latin was a tonal language, that accents have to do with pitch more than emphasis, or that "syllable length" was an extremely important concept.

I'm not saying any of those ideas are wrong or right NOW- they've been a part of Latin literature and scholarship for 1000 years (the fact that Webster changed "theatre" to "theater" all by himself doesn't really make it wrong). I'm just saying that it would be wrong, in a history class, to suggest something like, "The Greek modes led to the development of Gregorian Chant" or "Gregorian chant is based on the 8 mode system of the Greeks." It would be much more appropriate to say something like "Gregorian Chant, like all musical forms, developed organically among musicians and singers. In the Middle Ages, scholars and theorists used the language of Greek Music Theory to explain chant melodies. Naturally, this way of explaining and thinking about chant melodies changed the way they were sung and composed."

Not incidentally- this is exactly the same thing that happened with classical music. Rules of counterpoint were written AFTER polyphony existed, and the rules (which were used to explain what unruly artists had done) then guided the people who wrote polyphony thereafter. Then with tonal (functional) harmony- the music came first, then the theory to explain it, and then the theory changed the way new music was composed.

(This happens with language, too- Grammarians don't invent language, they explain it.)

This is IMPORTANT because the "composers followed these rules" way of explaining music theory and history (like Palestrina read Fux to learn how to be Palestrina) is a serious problem in the way we teach this stuff, and leads to the terribly unfortunate notion that making art is primarily about knowing or following rules. It is not.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MHIMHI
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Perhaps he means that the rules of Latin grammar were applied to texts, which influenced the music?
    Thanked by 2MHI CHGiffen
  • MHIMHI
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    As you (I would think) know, "Classical Latin Grammar" encompasses more than what we usually mean when we talk about grammar (conjugations, declensions, etc), it included concepts of where the accent should fall in poetry, how texts were to be read aloud, the rise and fall of pitch while speaking, etc.

The melodies of the chants, being tied to text, were altered/adapted/fixed/changed/composed to fit a particular notion (or cluster of notions) about Latin grammar (and rhetoric, public speaking, elocution, etc- all of which were called, together, "Grammar").

You see this still at work today when people talk about how they can't adapt English to Latin, because the melodies are so tied to a particular conception of Latin accent patterns. (Which, I believe, is ridiculous, but that's another whole thing.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
    Which, I believe, is ridiculous, but that's another whole thing.

Agreed.
  • MHIMHI
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    that the rules of Latin grammar were applied to texts, which influenced the music

Yes, ish. But I think it is more integrated than stating it that way would suggest.
    Thanked by 2MHI CHGiffen
    Yes, ish. But I think it is more integrated than stating it that way would suggest.

Hmm... Interesting.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Back to the OP... why not read Grout? Cures insomnia every time!

Seriously though, don't overlook the importance of listening to music since it is an aural art. Reading about it and hearing lectures are all well and good and even necessary, but without connecting it to listening to the music it's pointless.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Seriously though, don't overlook the importance of listening to music

This.

Children should listen and sing, and learn to read music.
    I'm of the opinion that, outside of a general explanation, music history can wait.

(Unless, of course, your children are already excellent singers, listeners, and readers.)

The school-marms have ruined this for us, making us think we need to "learn about" art.

"Nay!" to the nihilist nabobs of knowledge,
    you godless creations of mandated college.

Art's not for asking, "now, what might this mean?"
    It's for wooing and warring, and all things between.

(from On Free Verse, by Adam Wood)
  • teachermom24
    (Unless, of course, your children are already excellent singers, listeners, and readers.)

They are.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Somehow, not surprised.
    Carry on.
  • canadashcanadash
    My children are good readers as well. It is amazing how learning music theory has helped my son understand his pieces better. He hated the introductory course, but when I mentioned the idea of learning harmony and that this would help him learn to compose in a sensible way, he was enthusiastic.

I think the same is true for History. History, for history's sake, can be a bit of a bore, unless you LOVE history. But in context, it fills in gaps and makes you a better musician. The context is important and I would love a course like this for myself as well. Now that I've aged a bit, I will appreciate it even more.

I wonder if writing to a university which specializes in Catholic teaching (like Ave Maria or Our Lady Seat of Wisdom in Ontario) might produce some fruits here?
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • francis
    adam said:

This is IMPORTANT because the "composers followed these rules" way of explaining music theory and history (like Palestrina read Fux to learn how to be Palestrina) is a serious problem in the way we teach this stuff, and leads to the terribly unfortunate notion that making art is primarily about knowing or following rules. It is not.

I highly disagree. In order to find ones own voice, one must first imitate the greats. Otherwise, you will find yourself composing novel music which will not stand the test of time.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I highly disagree.

I don't think you do, because...

In order to find ones own voice, one must first imitate the greats.

I essentially agree with.

I have no quarrel with studying Palestrina- in fact I rather think we all should do so more. Nor do I have any quarrel with Fux, whose pedagogical lucidity is unparalleled.

Nor do I dispute the notion that, in order to know if one is adequately imitating/comprehending the style, that a set of rules is needed against which one can compare.

But I highly dispute the notion that Palestrina was governed by the rules of Fux, or that Bach was governed by Rameau. Rather, the theory came AFTER the music.

This may be a subtle point, and may, at last, be of no consequence to true artists (who always manage to slip through the stern-hand of academia), but the conception that gets communicated, too often (or at least, was communicated to me- which was one time too many), is that the Masters were so good because they followed the rules so well, or "understood them well enough to break them."

This is hogwash- the Rules exist because they partially explain the Masters, and the inconsistency between the Masters and the Rules is not a case of "knowing when to break the rules," but rather that no set of rules can fully explain genius.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Only on the author, and the subtitle.

Also- that book doesn't really have anything to do with what you seem to be looking for.
  • teachermom24
    I wasn't thinking of using it for the course, just as background/prep reading for myself. Is it worthwhile? Does he present liturgical music in line with what you all here think is on the right track?
  • SalieriSalieri
    Someone just gave me a lovely little book published by Paraclete Press on sacred music, written by an Anglican Priest. It covers basically the gamut from Gregorian chant through Palestrina, up to RVW, Charles Ives and William Mathias. It comes with a CD, too.

Book contains a short history of the piece, the composer, and genre, and a description of the part of the Liturgy or the Liturgical Year that the piece comes from, and each chapter ends with a prayer/meditation.

I'll look it up and see if I can find it.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Found it! "O Clap Your Hands" by Gordan Giles. heres the link.

http://www.paracletepress.com/o-clap-your-hands-a-musical-tour-of-sacred-choral-works-p.html
    Thanked by 1teachermom24