ACSA Conference 2013
  • hartleymartin
    Just letting you all know that the Australian Catholic Students Association's annual conference is under way.

We've just done a Votive Mass of the Holy Spirit, using Simple English Propers, ICEL Chant Mass (ie the Missal Tones in English). We also sang "O Breathe on Me, O Breath of God" (Hymn tune St Columba) immediately following the communion. The mass was finished with Prelude and Fugue in A minor from Ariade Musica by JKF Fischer and His Ricercare Pro Tempus Adventus as a bit of extra (quiet) music at the end of mass whilst people said their prayers and left.

We're about to undertake an Extraordinary Form Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, using the full gregorian propers, but using Missa Simplex I (from the Kyriale Simplex), except that the Kyrie will be sung 9-fold in the traditional manner. The Hymn associated with this mass will be "All Ye Who Seek a Comfort Sure".

There's still more to come, but letting you all know that we're appreciative of the work of the CMAA here down under in Brisbane, Australia. The Simple English Propers, are a real boon for us, and we love them.
  • hartleymartin
    So here is the run-down of the liturgical program of the 2013 Australian Catholic Student Association Conference.

Friday:

Votive Mass of the Holy Spirit, Ordinary Form:
    Simple English Propers (Introit, Offertory, Communion)
    ICEL Missal Tone Chant Ordinary
    "O Breathe on Me" (St Columba) - Hymn after Communion
    Postlude - Prelude and Fugue in A minor from "Ariadne Musica" by JKF Fischer

Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart, Extraordinary Form:
    Gregorian Propers (Introit, Offertory, Communion)
    Gradual: Sung to Psalm Tone II
    Alleluia: Melismatic Tone VIII
    Offertory Motet: "Sicut Cervus" Palestrina
    Recessional Hymn: "All Ye Who Seek a Comfort Sure" (St Bernard)

Sung Compline With Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
    Hymn: "Abide With Me"
    Nunc Dimittis: My own setting, adapted from the Latin version in the Liber Usualis in Tone III

Saturday

Lauds:
    Office Hymn: My own adaption/paraphrase of "O Sanctissima"
    Benedictus: Sung to Psalm Tone II

Votive Mass of Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom:
    Introit, Offertory and Communion taken from the Simple English Propers.
    Offertory Motet: "Ave Maria" Arcadelt
    Recessional Hymn: "Help of Christians, Guard this Land" - written by Richard Connoley (Australian Composer)
    Postlude: Voluntary in D, by John Stanley

Sunday:

First Vespers:

Office Hymn "Come, Praise the Lord the Almighty"
    Magnificat: Sung to Tone VIII
    Postlude: "Largo" from "Xerxes"

Lauds:
    Office Hymn: "All People That on Earth Do Dwell"
    Benedictus: Sung to Psalm Tone II
    Postlude: "Corrente Italiana" Juan Cabanilles

Mass:
    Sunday Mass Ordinary Time 14C
    Introit, Offertory, Communion: Simple English Propers
    Offertory Motet: "Sicut Cervus" Palestrina
    Communion Hymn: "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence" (Picardy)
    Recessional Hymn: "O God Beyond All Praising" (Thaxted)
    Postlude: Voluntary in C by John Stanley
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Glad you mentioned "All You Who Seek a Comfort Sure." I've been looking for a new congregational hymn, and it's just the ticket. I like it with the Kingsfold setting as well.

• hartleymartin
    Yes, it is an excellent hymn for the Feast and Votive Masses of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. I added a doxology to it, since I'm of the opinion that all good Catholic Hymns should have a doxology in imitation of the Introits and Communios, and that all our prayer is through the Triune God.

Doxology for 8.6.8.6 Hymn Meter:

"All praise be to the Father and
    all praise be to the Son,
    all praise be to the Holy Ghost,
    eternal three-in-one."
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    That's an excellent insight, Hartley. I instinctively look for an ending verse with a doxology as a way of "wrapping things up" but never thought of adding one if there wasn't one. Thanks for that idea.