Way too much forum
  • jpal
    Background: I check the forum almost daily, sometimes once or twice, sometimes many, many times in a day, seeking discussions that are useful, really hilarious, and/or just outright bizarre. There are a few fairly infrequently-posting users whom I know personally pretty well. Yet, sometimes I feel like I know several of the more frequent users really well.

Anyway, the real story: last week my family was on vacation in Mexico, and though my wife had brought her computer, I promised myself no CMAA forum (among other things work-related). In the middle of the night I woke up from a dream in a cold sweat. In my dream, I was at Kathy Pluth's house. Apparently there was a small dinner party but I was the first one there. Kathy & I make small talk for a bit.

Suddenly Adam Wood bursts through the front door. We all talk for a short time about how awesome chant is. Soon Adam & Kathy are in a heated discussion about some hymn text or other, and not only am I feeling pretty left out because I don't know a lot about the finer points of hymn poetry, but also because I'm thinking they've forgotten about the food and I'm getting really hungry.

I wonder whom else I would have seen had my toddler daughter not awakened me at that point...

Jon
  • CharlesW
    Too funny!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If Ben Yanke wrestle a wild boar, you're in real trouble.
  • CharlesW
    I always envisioned roaring around CA with melo Charles, in a souped-up, pimped-out Dodge Charger. Hemi V8, of course.
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • You mean one of those with funny colors, phat rims that spin, and hydraulics that send it into all kinds of contortions, all while pumping 1000 watts of gregorian chant through your pimped out system? lol
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Wild boar? I told Ben to stay away from those homeschooled women. LOL.
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Whatever hymn they were discussing, it'd be better sung RECTO TONO.
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • francis
    jpal...

forum withdrawal.

i go into cold shakes if i don't post at least once a week.
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • melofluentmelofluent
    jpal, you woke up before I showed up with a few 750's of Rugasci Cabernet, Mondavi Reserve Cab 1999 and a Chateaux Montelena Meritage 2001.

CDub, you won't believe this, but Mary Ann CW and Kathy should remember: I DO have a 2006 6.1 bore hemi V8, 425 hp, pimped out Dodge Magnum SRT (Street Racing Technology.) Contra, and the sound system is custom for boom car The car was custom ordered by some kid in an IT gig in 06. By the time he went to pick it up (months) his credit line dropped a C. We saw it just sitting on the lot (my wife had our first Magnum) after bowling with the grand kids, said "What they hey, why not have two?"
    It's still under 40K miles, I was driving it to SLC but got waylayed by truck chemical spill. Best car I've ever owned, and I was a Saab Turbo fanatic.
    It will serve as my last vehicle and my hearse, in which I will appear to onlookers to be driving on the way to my internment. Don't ask.
    It stays in the garage mostly. I ride a Harley Sportster to and from church.
  • CharlesW
    Oh, I can believe it. I went through my hemi phase with the large Chrysler engines, then spent a number of years with over-powered Trans Ams back in the day. Age and insurance rates now have me in something more practical.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Dude, I know you're official retirement age, but at 4:30 am this morning I turn 62 officially (Mom couldn't push hard enough) and all of this just isn't right.
    I am genetically prevented from doing anything "practical."
    Thanked by 2Kathy Chris Allen
  • CharlesW
    Hah! LOL. At 65 I am a bit more careful. I have decided the best way to get even with everyone is to outlive them.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Bah! You two are mere youngsters. Charlie, I was already over two weeks late when I was born the 2nd in 1940, but by then my parents were hoping I'd be another two days later on my father's July 4th birthday. Yes, at 73, I'm back in the prime of my life after being (2x2x2)x(3x3) for a year.
  • Kathy
    I find myself intrigued and reflective about the symbolism of the dream. Here Adam and I are, yakkin away about hymns. Meanwhile jpal is starving and we're ignoring him. Feeling a bit guilty about the lack of focus and production...
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Do you think you and Adam are like the other Lazarus and jpal has been relegated to the poor man discarded, Kathy? It all turns out better for him, mais oui? And like I said, if he'd've kept the dream going he'd've been drinking vintage Jesus de Cana!
    I'm also thinking there's a Mary and Martha component in here somewhere as well. For me, that's always been a tough one, tho' among the emergent G3 Summit, I think we've opted to be Mary for a while.
  • Kathy
    It all turns out better for him, mais oui?

I'm pretty sure that's not the point of the parable!!
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, I had hoped to sleep to 7am, 'twas not to be. So..
    "Always look on the bright side of life" Brian of Nazareth.
    To be serious, then, what's your take on jpal's dream, K?
  • Kathy
    As I said above, Charles. That's my take.
  • CharlesW
    Sleep to 7am? Is decadent! I was out walking 3 miles by then, which I do nearly every day.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    A 3 mile walk first thing in the morning. THAT sound decadent.
  • CharlesW
    It has to be early. The humidity here is horrid. We have had 45 or so inches of rain so far this year, with 2-4 more predicted for today through the weekend.
  • BenBen
    Wild boar? I told Ben to stay away from those homeschooled women. LOL.

Too late :) I already have my best friend (a fellow homeschooler herself) chanting the readings and singing polyphony :)

To run some context on this, Adam posted on FB a while ago that he dreamed Tucker and I were with him, and I went outside to wrestle a wild boar. I wish I could find it now... it was funny, in a bizarre way :)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    jpal,
    Had your dream not been interrupted, imagine (if you'd like) what would have next happened, who'd've joined the party, when and what did you finally dine upon, etc.?
    Is the "too much forum" thing a real issue co-opting your attention from more important matters elsewhere?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It was at Tucker's Crypto-currency conference, and the boar was JT's dog. It was odd. Took me all day to shake the weird feeling of jealousy it engendered in me towards Ben. (Having been the one to find and subdue the boar-dog, he was roundly praised, while I was roundly ignored.)
    Thanked by 1Hilary Cesare
  • jpal
    I believe that Chuck Giffen was expected next. Doubtless he would have been sucked into the hymn discussion. As to the dinner, I can't quite remember, but for some reason "pot roast" pops into my head. But that may be completely unrelated. I do love a good pot roast.
    Is the "too much forum" thing a real issue co-opting your attention from more important matters elsewhere?

Honestly, sometimes, yes.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

It really takes time away from my FaceBook posting.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Weldome to the club!
    But the fellowship (much overused in Prot terms, but no so much in RCLand), be it serious, in jest or as you say, bizarre (GUILTY, yer honor), is a net plus in the twenty years of haunting the web for liturgo sites. This is the best!
    It really takes time away from my FaceBook posting.

"Shut the %$#& up, Donnie"
    Love, Walter S.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Pot roast and hymns ... food for the body and food for the soul.
  • Kathy
    I make a decent pot roast.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Just decent?
  • Kathy
    I'm a good cook, not a great cook, unfortunately.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "To cook [a meal] from scratch, one must first create the universe."

• jpal
    I'm a good cook, not a great cook, unfortunately.

Maybe so, but apparently you make the pot roast I can only dream about!
  • discussions that are useful, really hilarious, and/or just outright bizarre

Definitely agree. : )
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    What I have found interesting, is that many in the other camp think we advocates for sacred music are staid, humorless, and rigid. Do you get that impression? I don't. The folks here are hilarious.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    They should see my office at work. We'll have to start up a thread of pictures to show dem how crazy we is.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I gave up on Facebook a while ago. Too much to read and post here. And I don't think there's anyone on this forum that I've actually met face-to-face.
  • francis
    melo:

There has already been to much discussion about my hotwheels collection on my office wall which has draw far too many bids beyond anything anyone is willing to pay for my music compositions. They don't know what humor means!
  • francis
    Earl

Meeting people in person is far too overrated. We much prefer them as fig newtons of our imagination. My motto in life is for everyone to just leave me the hell alone, but unfortunately, I can't afford it.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • Jani
    I dunno Francis- meeting Jeffrey Tucker was pretty sublime. He needs to be "experienced" to get the full impact. He's got this laugh....
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gavin
  • francis
    met JT once in 2005, but didn't know anyone i was meeting back then. not till the months and years went by did i realize who was who... c'est la vie...