Organizing Mass settings in the pews
  • Heath
    In the Fall, we'll be introducing 2 new Mass settings at my church, one contemporary, one traditional. They'll be taught to different congregations simultaneously . . . in other words, the Vigil Mass will use the contemp. setting, Sunday morning will use the trad., Sunday afternoon-contemp, etc.

We'll have a music aide for each congregant, but there's a risk of pews getting cluttered with booklets and congregations having a hard time knowing which aide to grab. What have people had success with? It's possible to collect them after each Mass and re-hand them out, but that would take a *lot* of man-hours over a period of a few months.

One of the settings is actually in one of our two hymnals, but I haven't had much success with people keeping up with Mass settings inside a book.
  • Liam
    Use colored laminated card stock. Use light blue for one, white for another (avoids color blindness issues); song leader need only raise up the right-colored one for visual reinforcement.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • We have a similar situation at our parish. Three Masses sing one setting, the fourth another. I put both settings in one booklet (single 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock sheet, single fold) and leave them in the pews. The setting used most often comes first, and the secondary setting is labeled "Contemporary Choir service music" or something to that effect. The hardest part is getting two Ordinaries to fit in that amount of space, but if one of your Glorias is refrain style or you can direct people's attention to the hymnal for a piece or two of music, then you should be fine.
  • Heath,

Assuming that you're absolutely serious that this situation exists, and that you do really want a good way of telling them apart, there are two obvious solutions, one of which is already here. I think that the two-color system should be easy enough to implement quickly. The other idea is to have two very different type faces at the top of the pages: something venerable for the venerable setting, and something like Comic Sans Serif for the comic setting.
    Thanked by 4CHGiffen Ben incantu MHI
  • BenBen
    Is it possible to fit it on either side of a single larger card? Especially if you reengrave it, you might be able to. That way, people can just learn which one they use at their Mass, and ignore the other, and it's not hard for you.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • lmassery
    We did put a little booklet with the settings in the pew. They do look a little cluttered, but it works ok. They mostly use it for the creed on the inside cover.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Traditional setting: Mass XI, four lines.
    Contemporary setting: Mass XI, five lines.

Haec.
  • Heath
    Thanks for the suggestions! . . . and the laughs.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Liam's suggestion is pedagogically sound as well. Using colors to differentiate between the two settings is the most recognizable organizational system, and will be easy and effective.