Tired of that video of the puppets at the CTA Mass?
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Yeah, me too. 2008 is so 2008. Here's one fresh off the looneyboat:

• kevinfkevinf
    Forgive us Aaron Copland, we know not what we do...
    Thanked by 2francis Chris Allen
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Forgive us Aaron Copland, we know not what we do...

Indeed. I feel a little cheated because the dancers didn't incorporate a basketball a la He Got Game.
  • CharlesW
    Kind of makes me want to retreat to Mount Athos.
    Thanked by 2jpal Chris Allen
  • MHIMHI
  • MHIMHI
  • Just sucks. And it gets worse as they perform...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWH8_uYVy1k

It's obvious that this liturgy is about them. And what they do.
  • chonakchonak
    Is that an altar? It looks like a Jersey barrier.

By the way, these events happened during the interregnum between two bishops of Oakland; the old one is a fine bishop; he just wasn't there long enough to get all the abuses cleaned up.

• As CharlesW knows, whenever the Paulists take on a college Newman group, $@#$ happens. They have a real gift for it.
  • CharlesW
    Hah! LOL.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Hey now, don't blame this cr@p on my Oaktown, this is filmed at Our Lady of the Living Dead, aka the Newman Center in the autonomous Peoples Republic of Berkeley. All concrete all the time AND terrible acoustics. Used to have a nice Casavant on the far wall where the banners hang. Arggghhhh
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

A
    L
    L
    E
    L
    U
    I
    A
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    BTW - That Durufle piece is still under copyright, and you need Mechanical Rights to record it.

Just, um, you know, sayin'.
  • francis
    o melo, what did they, pray tell, do with the casavant?

the first video looks like a transformer crammed his head up through the floor as far as his eyesockets... obviously, a dead transformer... no eyeballs.
  • BenBen
    God help us.
    Thanked by 1Hilary Cesare
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Dunno, francis. Left neighboring El Cerrito area in 87. eft or Richard Mix may know.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Anybody else notice how bored the congregation looks? And these are people who have self-selected to be there.
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Anybody else notice how bored the congregation looks?

I'd say grinded down to the nub.

Also, I'm a little guarded in laughing about this because many parishes are just one doofy liturgist and one doormat pastor removed from having this happening to them.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I felt sorry for the kids in the front row.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Kathy
    Why does the sanctuary look like a WWII war zone from the history channel?
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I want to know why the altar looks like the stocks that the pastor who allowed this should be sitting in.
    Thanked by 2Kathy Chris Allen
  • The "overworked" choir director (according to parish council reports) was once involved with RSCM in Australia - might indicate that she's Anglican/Episcopalian - and if so, walking into a Paulist situation where creativity is ranked over tradition, she may just be doing what she thinks is right - but the faces of the congregation do tell the true effect of this stuff.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Kathy, you have to see it to believe it. I've done music there a number of times way back in the day, acoustics are horrible despite the definite bunker decor of concrete. It's only two blocks from UCBerkeley and I haven't a clue other than what FNJ suggests was the prevelent sp? impetus! Evoke the primordial Christ and nascient Church?
    I really think whomever just wanted to freak people out with how "cool" it all was.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Don't know if there's anything worse than dancing puppets, but a dancing bishop might come close. : )

This is the newly installed Bishop Evangelista demonstrating a native Filipino dance during the Offertory while three cardinals and 50 fellow bishops applaud and sway to the beat. Some priests were even busy recording the festivities on their phones:

• eft94530eft94530
    francis: the casavant?
    melofluent: in 87. eft ... may know.

Summer 1995 on a Friday afternoon following 12 nn Mass I recall a small pipe organ.
    I went to the desk/window, borrowed the key, and played for a few minutes.
    Since then, I do not know.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I think everyone is being too hard on them. This sort of thing is very helpful for illuminating the hidden theological meanings of the liturgy.

For example, did you see their clips from Trinity Sunday?
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • Jani
    Gadfrey Adam - that is just creepy!!!
  • Kathy
    Need. eyewash.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Humming the Beatles' "Im looking through you, you're not the same."
    Yeah well, it was 1965, Rubber Soul an' all, must've crossed Bugnini's desk, and maybe he said, "Bene, bene, perfecto."

Ain't it wonderful Noel, Charles HG., Charles W., Ralph B. and all of us CMAA Geezers Got Game (G3 Summit Boys, copyright 13 Culbreth) to have our lineage stretched so far to our great grandfathers and Leo8 to now with Francis and, uh.....Mumford and Sons?" Nothing's been as I expected.
  • eft94530eft94530
    If you do not like the 2008 puppets, try these 2009 models ...

http://www.stjames-cathedral.org
    center picture, click to enter site
    left margin, click "Photo Gallery"
    scroll down, click "The Feast of St. James July 26, 2009"
    scroll down to view photos three and four
    They remind me of this ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MefeJY_vRi8
  • CharlesW
    They do resemble each other, eerily so.

Charles, those masks make me hum, "Strawberry Fields Forever."
  • chonakchonak
    Looking for the "Unsee this" button.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Strawberry Fields Forever? More like I Am the Walrus...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap6kSV_U45o
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I'm not quite sure which puppets are being referred to above, but these are pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW1pbuyGlQ0
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Looking for the "Unsee this" button.

Sorry...

Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Kathy
    Hahahahahaha
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    "Eye has not seen, ear has not heard...."
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    I think this would've been a better fit for that Holy Thursday recessional.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Sorry to bump this, though what's not to like, apart from the terrible Protestant music? (I can't help making distracting and somewhat invidious comparisons with Martha Graham, though).

When I was a student one could look forward to the Newman Center's Bach Matthäuspassion during Holy Week, but these things can change.

As it happens I sang at a funeral yesterday and can confirm that the organ, though locked, is still in place, and that the piano is a spectacularly beautiful Boesendorfer. We had very good music at Mass, supplied by family & friends: Telemann, Hindemith, a Ballade by Peter Joseph, Schubert, Franck &c... As one might expect from a campus ministry, there was no established drill for funerals and the bulletin was incomplete. The pre-2011 translation was said, perhaps (?) as a pastoral concession to the cradle-Catholics attending, but it was really hard to get the jump on the responses: "though Our Lord Jesus Christamen." "we pray to the Lordlordhearourprayer" (long pause, followed by waving). Sanctus had to be spoken, Agnus Dei xviii was printed and well-sung by almost all, and I did my part for the cause and smuggled in Lux aeterna. (spellchecker really, really wants Lux astern.)
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Did they speak the pre-2011 translation of the Sanctus? "...God of power and might..."
  • chonakchonak
    Just as an aside, since Richard Mix mentioned the "terrible Protestant music": "Simple Gifts" isn't really Protestant, since the Shakers did not hold to the orthodox doctrine of the Trinity. They had a concept of God as one being with masculine and feminine attributes ("Father-Mother"). They distanced themselves from other basic doctrines of Christianity as well: the Atonement, the bodily Resurrection, etc.

Ew.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    "They" being the presider, a few Lutherans and myself who were willing to follow the leader; there really didn't seem to be too many others who were up on 1970 texts. We did get in a few "and with your spirit"(s) though.

On the sidebar, if we had enough different shades of purple maybe I could find a way to let on that I'm also well aware Copeland wasn't Protestant.
    Thanked by 1chonak