Spanish Hymnal(s)
  • I've been doing research for several months, looking for a Spanish hymnal with more traditional hymns and chants. The best one I have found is "Cancionero Liturgico Nacional". However, I don't know where I can buy sets for it. Where can I get the organ music? the Choir's music? Piano? I can only find one kind of hymnal and I think it's the text for the congregation. I would appreciate the help.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for other Spanish hymnals, please let me know, it would be very helpful. Please do not recommend "Flor y Canto"
  • I meant "Cantoral Liturgico Nacional" not "cancionero".
  • Have you found these sites? I haven't yet looked at them carefully.
    http://www.enciclopediacecilia.org/wiki/M%C3%BAsica_Lit%C3%BArgica.com
    http://www.musicaliturgica.com/

I will indeed recommend Flor y Canto--for composting.
  • Amen to that one, Daniel. This evening, during the offertory, I leafed through the new edition of Flor y Canto. Most of what I found was suspect and questionable, not at all impressive. What is troubling is the service music section. As I've alluded to in a previous post, OCP seems to take excessive liberties with the parts of the Mass in Spanish (and some English compositions). The Gloria is chopped up beyond recognition and it omits references to God the Father and the Holy Name of Jesus Christ. Bob Hurd's Agnus Dei is suspect and questionable (Misa del Pueblo Imigrante) because it strings everything together. I refuse to sing it during Mass and will quietly recite the Agnus Dei in Latin.

There are also other songs, especially Bob Hurd's, that focus more on the community and less on the triune God. They focus on building up the community and downplay the Eucharist (O Amor de Dios and Ven al Banquete).

It is hard to find anything decent in Spanish (although I did get a great link to some Mass parts from one of my fellow posters). Unfortunately, OCP has a monopoly on stuff in Spanish here in the United States.
  • With Spanish-language materials one also has to guard against the insidious influence of liberation/Marxist theology. This is even a concern for Spanish-Mass musicians I know who otherwise have no problem with the profound rejection of the Church's musical and liturgical tradition represented by Flor y Canto.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear Hramirez,

If it is OK, could you please E-mail me? jeff@ostrowski.cc With SPANISH in the subject line

Best regards,

JMO
  • Daniel, that is my biggest concer with Flor y Canto. Furthermore, a lot of Bob Hurd's and Fr. Manolo's compositions center around social justice and community and not on offering God praise. Yes, social justice and community are important, but, that is not the focus of the Mass. The sad thing is that OCP is, to my knowledge, the sole purveyor of Spanish language liturgical music in the United States. Until another publishing company steps up to the plate and offers more orthodox and liturgical and theologically appropriate music, we're stuck with OCP. They even have copyrights in Spain, Mexico and parts of Latin America.

By the way, Jeff and I have been communicating on Spanish liturgical music. He is a great resource.
  • Wondering if any of you have looked over the Spanish hymnal from WLP (Cantos del Pueblo)? It is the resource that they use for the Spanish offerings in the Celebremos missalette. If you have, could you comment on theology and hymnology for me?

Thanks,
    Dietta
  • AlVotta
    Liberation theology is very unfortunately a problem in texts used in my country (Brazil). Though we are a kind of white elephant for not speaking Spanish (we speak Portuguese), our liturgical music really got in the trend of marxism and the like.

I'm specially disappointed when I look at the last pages of our edition of the Liturgy of the Hours: "alternative songs" approved by the Brazilian Bishops Conference not only are very poor literature but also "jewels" of Liberation Teology.