Attracting and retaining volunteers
  • Carl DCarl D
    On Wednesday, June 19th, at the Colloquium, I was privileged to lead a discussion around the topic of attracting and retaining volunteers for choirs. We ran out of room at 42 participants, and the discussion was phenomenal.

I have captured the raw notes from the discussion here, and plan to add some additional observations and discussions here on the forum. For now, I would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

In particular, for those who attended: What are you taking away from this discussion to apply at your parish?
  • Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the Colloquium, but thanks so very, very much for posting this. I can certainly use it in the days ahead as I prepare for the Fall. God bless.
  • Felicity
    Carl D,

Thank you for posting this information. God's blessings always seem very close when information is shared so freely and openly. Certainly, your efforts will have far reaching benefits.

Deo gratias!
  • Carl DCarl D
    When I look at the first question on the list, I'm struck by how well people stayed away from blaming others for a lack of progress. This was by design, of course, but still I expected to see people get hung up a little more on needing money, needing talent, not having enough time, and getting the support of the Priest.

These can all be useful, of course, but the problem is that if you don't have them, you quickly get stuck.

I was overjoyed to hear people tossing out ideas about having the choir be fun, challenging, and doing great music. But notice that it's not just the music, either - what makes it fun is hanging out with people who are pretty good at what they're doing, and going in a great direction.

I'd like to hear from people who weren't able to attend the session: What brought you to volunteer to be in a choir or some other volunteer-based organization?
  • Felicity
    What brought me to be the organist?

The Priest (Pastor) drafted me!

Deo gratias!
  • MarkThompson
    I didn't see "meet people and fit in upon moving to a new city where you don't know anybody," but in my experience (personal and anecdotal alike) it is a fairly common for doing volunteer stuff.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • Carl DCarl D
    Fantastic! Felicity, this shows that there's nothing like a personal invitation. I first got involved on an RCIA team because the nun-in-charge made me an offer I couldn't refuse. :-) Call it Catholic guilt if you want, but I didn't feel imposed upon.

Mark, I think you highlight that each person brings with them their own situation. This is one reason why it's so important to talk with people - individuals - and find out what their needs are. Sometimes the answer can be as simple as, "you know, you can get that by joining the choir!"
    Thanked by 1Mark Husey
  • Carl DCarl D
    One of the questions I asked during the discussion was: What caused you to stay connected as a volunteer over a long period of time?

I can summarize the long list into these categories:
    • The work: loving it, seeing the value it provides
    • The people: enjoying the company, having fun
    • Appreciation: getting feedback, knowing that people appreciate what you're doing
    • Fulfillment: meeting an inner need that you have

In the context of a choir, there's some powerful ideas which came out of this:
    • Director, clergy actually saying how important this is to the work of the Church
    • Maintaining a light and supportive environment
    • Providing challenge, but not so much that people lose confidence
    • Understanding and attending to each individual's motivation

What other elements do you think are essential to retaining your choristers?
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I heard James Jordan say that, ultimately, people are in your choir because of you. They join,stay, leave your choir, not the parish choir. I think that's probably about right.
    Thanked by 2Carl D ClergetKubisz
  • Carl DCarl D
    I've heard it said that people leave their manager, not the job - and it tends to ring true. Not 100%, but certainly the relationship with one's manager is often the critical factor in employee retention.

But we also need to be humble about this, and not make it ALL about a cult of personality. We are, after all, wanting to achieve a larger purpose: helping bring people closer to communion with God. That's why I believe one of the most important roles of the director is to keep that vision front and center.

HOW the choir achieves this miracle, of course, depends on the director and the grace of the Holy Spirit.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Two of the most impressive church choirs I can think of (impressive in their own rights compared to their size as a parish - not including places like St. John Cantius in Chicago,) both have directors who are incredibly fun, enjoyable-to-be-around people ("fun" properly balanced with commanding respect.) It doesn't have to be *about* them, but it certainly helps make people *want* to come to choir and hesitate to skip it.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Carl DCarl D
    The best leaders I've seen, Marajoy, inspire the best from people because they can keep it positive/fun, and challenging. The directors at the Colloquium were great examples of this - we all knew we were up for a BIG challenge, but had so much fun trying to rise up and meet it.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I have captured the audio portions of our discussion here. Not great sound quality, but that's what we get with a restaurant environment.
  • Theo
    Ultimately, the music director's expertise and character are the most important factors in attracting and retaining volunteers. If the music director is an effective teacher, s/he gives just enough challenge to the choir. The choir members will make progress and feel good about their accomplishment. If the music director has good morals, s/he knows which behavior is and isn't appropriate, avoids conflict of interest, and takes positive steps toward any hostile behavior between choir members. If the choir is musically challenging and socially healthy, volunteers will stay.
    Thanked by 2R J Stove CHGiffen
  • Mark HuseyMark Husey
    I've been praying about new recruits for a while, with both my children and my adults, and no, I haven't read or listened to the files here, but I intend to. Choirs that have a lot of advanced rep under their belts are especially difficult to recruit for; this is the year (with a new pastor) that I envision having a "first year" choir for our school kids, which would then produce long-term yields of seasoned choristers. Where I begin to smolder and smell of burned-out-choirmaster is with adults of marginal musical abilities that don't produce long-term yields to the larger program. And yet, they have gifts of faithfulness and fidelity to bring to the fold. I'm at a loss to offer them anything, but I think something needs to be done. I'm going to read, listen, and pray more about this.

• CharlesW
    This is all good information. As Theo indicates, the director needs to set a good example and make an effort to live at least a near-Christian life. Before I retired from teaching, there was a program called, "Character Counts." It does!

As a couple of others have noted, there needs to be a sense of joy and happiness in the choir. Most people will not attend something they dread every week.

Mark, careful on those prayers. Some I have gotten are proof God enjoys messing with me. ;-)
    Thanked by 2Gavin Mark Husey
  • Mark HuseyMark Husey
    I am VERY careful what a pray for. It's what I leave out that always comes back at me with Providential humor.
  • Yes, for sure, the Lord has a sense of humor where parish musicians are concerned!