Advanced Calendars
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Our diocese is in the habit of sending an official calendar in mid-December. I once thought I had figured out the rule for transferring Epiphany, but looking at what I myself posted to CPDL, I'm a bit confused. Do any of you have favorite resources for planning next year's and the year after's liturgies?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    If Epiphany, traditionally January 6, is transferred to Sunday, it will always be the Sunday between January 2-8.

This is how it works:

If January 6 is:

Sunday - Epiphany is celebrated that day, Baptism of the Lord the following Sunday.
    Monday - Epiphany is celebrated January 5, Baptism of the Lord the following Sunday.
    Tuesday - Epiphany is celebrated January 4, Baptism of the Lord the following Sunday.
    Wednesday - Epiphany is celebrated January 3, Baptism of the Lord the following Sunday.
    Thursday - Epiphany is celebrated January 2, Baptism of the Lord the following Sunday.
    Friday - Epiphany is celebrated January 8, Baptism of the Lord on Monday, January 9.
    Saturday - Epiphany is celebrated January 7, Baptism of the Lord on Monday, January 8.

Obviously, Epiphany cannot be pushed back to falling on or before January 1, hence it is only celebrated after January 6 in the case it falls on a Friday or Saturday.

It might also be helpful to note that because of this the Second Sunday of Christmas does not ever occur in regions that always transfer Epiphany. Even in regions where the Epiphany is celebrated on January 6, it only occurs around half the time.

This chart should make it clear:
    http://catholic-resources.org/Lectionary/Overview-Christmas.htm
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Bobby Bolin
    There's a pretty nice calendar in the front of the St. Joseph Missal.