Deus in adjutorium meum intende
  • Richard R.
    Here's my perennial Liturgy of the Hours / Diving Office annoyance. I appreciate that we don't publicly sing this liturgy too often, and I hate to dispute so ingrained a custom. However, I must insist that the chant tradition is very clear, both in the Liber, p. 112, and modern Antiphonale monasticum, vol. I, p. 506, that the opening versicle, "Deus in ajutorium..." is followed by the response, "Domine ad adjuvandum...", INCLUDING the "Gloria Patri." As far as I can tell, the custom of making "Gloria Patri" a clerical versicle, with "Sicut erat" as the response, is a modern conceit. It probably reflects the better-known custom of the Introit of the Mass, which follows this pattern. Or maybe that's what they teach in seminaries. But even Christian Prayer doesn't suggest this approach. Now, if somebody wants to dispute me based on something official, feel free. Otherwise, please insist, as much as you dare, that your priest follow the standard pattern, with everybody singing the "Gloria Patri."

And I shall rest easier tonight...
    RRice
    Thanked by 3Jahaza CHGiffen MHI
  • Kathy
    When St. Teresa of Avila was travelling with her nuns to make monastic foundations, they used to say the Office in whatever oxcart or carriage they were in, and St. Teresa always arranged the choir so her side would have more Gloria Patri's.

Somehow I feel this anecdote supports your argument, Richard. Cheers.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Having only really experienced it mostly from the books, I never knew there was a tradition that the Gloria Patri in the Deus in adjutorium was split up. Thanks for putting me on guard.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Didn't realize it either.
  • SalieriSalieri
    It happened at Colloquium Lauds this year for some reason, yet not at Compline - even though both were printed the same way. Very annoying.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard R.
    I came this close to adding a big old NB to the Lauds programs to that effect...
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Kathy Salieri