Responsorial Psalms
  • What resources are you all using for the Responsorial Psalms. Right now I am using mostly Respond and Acclaim, but I really don't like it at all. I've started to write some of my own, but would appreciate any other suggestions.

Thanks so much.
  • I have my own set, which I don't use any more - since I'm at an EF parish.
    If you want them, any or all of them, let me know.

stisidore@prolifeamerica.com

God bless,

Chris
  • hcmusicguy
    We use mostly Respond & Acclaim, and I've recently been sliding a few from Chabanel in as well. I will, in a very rare instance, use a Haugen-Haas setting--usually for a wedding or funeral. I'd also like to work in some Gelineau as well. I did once 2 years ago with good success, as I recall.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    All Gather, All the time ;)
  • Guimont and Schiavone.

Occasionally supplemented by local compositions.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Graduale Simplex and R&A
  • hartleymartin
    I usually compose my own responses then use one of the Dom Murray tones. Sometimes I just use an Office Psalm Tone. Usually Tone 2 or Tome 8.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You could also try RECTO TONO.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I've been using the S. Meinrad psalm tones with great success.

I use the first and last measures (or just the last, if the text is short) for the refrain. I find that the people are responding well to it, and are becoming familiar with the formulae.

I should point out that we currently have a pew resource (missalette) that doesn't provide any musical settings for the psalms, and the hymnal only provides "common psalms", and with pretty dated settings at that.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I was using the Meinrad tones for weekday Masses. Fr. Ruff has a collection of antiphons for weekday Masses for Advent, Christmas, Lent and Easter. For Ordinary Time I would write my own simple antiphon based on the Meinrad tone. It worked well with student cantors.
  • Heath
    Chabanel at one of my Masses, Guimont at another, Hunstiger (Lit. Press) at another . . . all are quite solid, though Mr. Hunstiger does some *weird* chomaticism sometimes in his psalm tones. I usually just ignore the written tones when he does that and make up my own.
  • hcmusicguy
    Hunstiger (Lit. Press) at another . . . all are quite solid, though Mr. Hunstiger does some *weird* chomaticism sometimes in his psalm tones.

Thanks for the insight! My parish is switching to a GIA hymnal this fall (Worship or Gather, yet TBD) and will be obtaining Celebrating the Eucharist for readings (which features the Hunstiger psalms). Do you find them accessible for your cantors or choir?
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Note that Gather offers Guimont exclusively while Worship offers both the complete Guimont and Gelineau psalters (for Sundays and Holy Days). I generally like Guimont tones as they are flexible and easily accompanied on organ or piano or guitar. Their modern harmonization make them appealing enough to the modernist crowds while avoiding using metrical paraphrases. But Gelineau sounds a little more solemn. I used to substitute Gelineau (as well as Meinrad/Kelly tones) for the sake of variety. Now that I am restricted to Gather only, I feel it's a bit limiting to use the same psalm tones in Ordinary Time and solemnities.

Gregorian propers and the like are out of the question so I am speaking from a practical standpoint.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Gregorian propers and the like are out of the question

But are they out of the answer?
  • The secret word for:
    RECTO TONO.
    around this choir loft is
    Wooden Adam
  • ronkrisman
    Note that Gather offers Guimont exclusively while Worship offers both the complete Guimont and Gelineau psalters (for Sundays and Holy Days).

Earl_Grey, some readers may be misled by your statement. Worship IV offers the same responsorial psalm refrains as those contained in Worship III, except for 27 that were replaced. The real difference is the fact that the verses may be sung either to the Gelineau tones or the Guimont tones.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    That's the answer that got me into trouble, Adam! :)
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood