La Peche Miraculeuse
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    "The miraculous catch of fish" is the informal name for the Fourth Sunday after Pentecost in the EF. At the Church of Saint-Eugene-Saint-Cecile in Paris yesterday, the High Mass was a truly joyful celebration of that theme.

I like to keep an eye on the French Latin Mass celebrations because they are often truly progressive in the best sense of that word. I was therefore thrilled to see that on the impressive Schola-Sainte-Cecile website yesterday the director, Henri de Villiers, posted a recording of the High Mass and a PDF of the state-of the art worship aid (attached).

I nearly dropped my laptop when I heard this beautiful Mass. There are too many elements to go into detail about, but here are the highlights, from my point of view.

A Latin hymn for the entrance procession, Regnavit Dominus, with a festive organ accompaniment and interludes.
    All short responses in the dialogues are sung by the schola in a fauxbourdon setting!
    The verse on the Introit accompanied by what appears to be a basso continuo.
    The Ordinary of the Mass (Missa Orbis Factor) sung antiphonally by the schola and congregation.
    Antiphons at the Offertory and Communion to which the "fideles" are invited to sing the response with the schola
    A motet sung after the Elevation (not a common practice here by any means)
    An SATB Prayer for France "Priere pour la France" (Domine, salvam fac Galliam) after the Communion proper and the antiphon.
    Another festive Latin hymn, Cor arca legem continens, as recessional which the congregation is invited to sing with the schola.

MUCH to admire and emulate. I would say every effort has been made to maximize the participation of all. Reminds me of a phrase in Divini cultus: "It was in the churches . . . where the whole city formed a great joint choir."
  • MHIMHI
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • chonakchonak
    I kinda like that.
    Thanked by 1MHI
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Comme on dit, sometimes you must take two steps backward in order to go one step forward.

You know, when I was listening to Sunday's 'la Grand-Messe', I couldn't help but think of Jeffrey Tucker's book, Why Catholics Can't Sing and wondering if the French traditional Catholics might have the solution to that problem.

I don't know exactly how they do it, but whatever they're doing, it's working, and maybe we could learn a thing or two from them. After all, they've been Catholics a very long time--- since 200 A.D.!
    Thanked by 1MHI
  • MHIMHI
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • MHIMHI
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • MHIMHI
  • MHIMHI
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I found a lot of strange things snooping around in the choir loft, too, when my mom played the organ, but never found any silly cards like that. : ) (I remember finding alot of Rossini propers, though.)

Thanks for the info @ the O Salutaris Hostia being a French custom after the Elevation. Have you ever seen that done anywhere in the U.S.?

Re: the Priere pour la France, perhaps we ought to have one for America: Domine, salvam fac nostram civitatem; expone dictatorem malum et da propitus nobis quaesumus ducem benevolentem!
    Thanked by 2gregp MHI
  • gregpgregp
    Domine, salvam fac nostram civitatem; expone dictatorem malum et da propitus nobis quasumus ducem benevolentem!

Hoc.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • kevinfkevinf
    The conservative French tradition runs quite deep. Even the progressive French bishops have noticed the strength of the tradition, as the conservative seminaries are growing at a phenomenal rate. There are systems of catechesis and they use many elements to teach and to support each other (Scouts, pilgrimages, processions,etc). Even the larger French society (very secular) pays attention to the conservatives (I watch French television even though I live in the US.) Sadly, they have some elements of xenophobia and some are associated with the monarchist movement. Please also remember that there are Gallic rites and traditions within France that grew separately from the larger Roman rite. When one goes to St. Nicholas du Chardonnet (the Latin liturgy community in Paris) or even ND de P, one can see Gallic elements at work.

I admire the French traditionalists greatly. My French wife thinks I am crazy, but that is another matter.

One should go to St. Nicholas du Chardonnet in Paris to see the liturgy as it was practiced 100 years ago. Very little has changed, which can be wonderful or quite worrisome. The preaching is fiery and sometimes anti-Protestant.

BTW, the Schola Ste. Cecile Julie referred to is absolutely magnificent.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thank you so much, Kevin, for more background on the French traditionalist movement and for the helpful caveats. My husband checks in on the French Catholics all the time, too. They do know how to shake things up, that's certain---haven't the French historically been on "the cutting edge" of all things religious and political?---although there are some tendencies that are a bit outre, I agree.

St. Nicolas du Chardonnet has a particularly fascinating history since a previous pastor in the 1970's, I believe, led a coup d'etat of sorts when the bishop wanted him removed for saying the Latin Mass, if I'm not mistaken. The pastor and congregation peacefully occupied the church and would not leave. They were allowed to remain, but I don't think the matter was ever legally resolved. It is now under the auspices of the FSSPX.

(Of course, I'm not an advocate for the FSSPX and would never endorse in any way their extra-ecclesial attitudes, and some of their questionable statements, etc., etc., but all that being said, there are some admirable aspects to the way FSSPX France celebrates the Latin Mass.)

On the other hand, the Church of Sainte-Eugene-Sainte-Cecile at Paris is a diocesan church. The traditional Latin Mass has been celebrated there for 25 years. I'm very impressed with the work of the choir director, Henri de Villiers. This may not ever be possible, but it would be fabulous if he and his choir could come to America one day and demonstrate an EF Latin Mass a la Francaise!

p.s. My mother-in-law is French Canadian, and she'd probably agree with your wife 100%, Kevin!
  • CharlesW
    My grandmother's family was French, so perhaps that may explain my fondness for their music and worship. I am encouraged to see the conservative French fighting for the integrity, faith and heritage of their country. They clearly see where prevailing attitudes and even economics are taking them - down the road to eventual ruin. More power to them, I say.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • kevinfkevinf
    @JulieColl. You are correct about St. Nicholas du Chardonnet. The Diocese still has a claim against the place but it will not change the question. There is always a group there "occupying" the place. Yes, the SSPX celebrate there. Every time I have been the place is packed with everyone from old folks to young families. It is an incredible place.

So is St. Eugene-Ste. Cecile.

I understand recently that an EF mass was celebrated at Notre Dame de Paris at the main altar. First time in a long time.

French Catholicism is much more fascinating than the US. The traditionalists are really making their voice known.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • I just finished listening to the recording posted above by JulieColl, of the High Mass sung by Schola-Sainte-Cecile. During Communion, an SATB "Domine, Salvam Fac Galliam" (Priere pour la France) is sung (after the Proper and Antiphon). It can be heard at the -14:18 mark here:
    http://www.schola-sainte-cecile.com/2013/06/16/enregistrement-sainte-messe-du-iveme-dimanche-apres-la-pentecote-la-peche-miraculeuse/

I was very moved by this song, and wonder if anyone on the forum could suggest where to find the music. In the pdf program (can be accessed at the same link), this note appears next to the song title: "faux-bourdon parisien du II(nd) ton; (faux-bourdon d'apres l'edition de 1739)."
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Some good news, Expeditus! I found this blog post where Henri De Villiers, the music director of the Schola-Sainte-Cecile, discusses his SATB arrangement of the Domine, Salvam Fac Galliam, which he said was inspired by Gounod's Mass of St. Cecilia.

The bad news is that he (understandably) gives only the first section of his arrangement, and there doesn't seem to be any information on how to purchase/download the rest.

Here's a YouTube recording with Henri de Villiers (I'm assuming) in the very stylish ochre-tinted trousers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dedos2k5uY0
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • fp
    At the end of the post (on H. de Villiers' blog) they tell you to "pay for the music sheet with a "like" (on FB etc...) and you should get a link to download the sheet for free."
    I don't have any account to "like " so I don't know if it's still working....you should try!
    I will be glad to Email Mr de Villiers if you need more info!
    FP
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    FP, I did click on the Facebook "like" and nothing happened. I also sent an email to M. De Villiers, but it was in English since my French is not up to par.

Thank you so much for any more info you can obtain on whether this arrangement is available for purchase or download.