Antiphons (Word-for-word)
  • AP23AP23
    Hi, everyone.

A while ago, I asked if anyone knew of a free resource for entrance and communion antiphons for every Sunday and Holy Day, Solemnity, etc.

I was leaded to one, but the antiphons aren't the exact words. Some of them were totally something else.

Does anyone know of a free resource that has antiphons that are the exact words?

As an added preference, I would like it if the antiphons are written in standard music notation, but, I still welcome chant notation.
  • canadashcanadash
    Try the Simple English Propers. Look here and you can download the whole book: http://musicasacra.com/sep/ Though I'd recommend purchasing it. It is a great, easy introduction. There are other books as well.

Also go to ccwatershed.org and look around. Lots of great information and resources!
  • AP23AP23
    That's the one that was suggested to me already. It's not word-for-word!
  • canadashcanadash
    They are a translation, so it probably won't be exact, and there is not one single authorized translation.. Did you see this page? I met Fr. Weber once, he was meticulous and brilliant! Go down the page to "musical settings in English."

http://musicasacra.com/communio/
  • Andrew_Malton
    Ap23, perhaps you are comparing the antiphons in the Missal, which were recently re translated and are intended for recitation, and the antiphons in books of music, which are often based on the Latin antiphons of the Gradual. There is no official translation of the latter, and furthermore the texts do not by and large agree with the Missal even in Latin.
  • In addition to SEP, you might consider looking at the Lalemant Propers.

I think Andrew has correctly identified the point of confusion. Are you speaking about the antiphons inside the priest's Missal? Those were never intended to be sung.

Here's a quote from the GIRM:

ENTRANCE CHANT: Only if none of the above alternatives is employed and
    there is no entrance song, is the antiphon in the Missal recited.

COMMUNION CHANT: Only if none of the above alternatives is employed and
    there is no Communion song, is the antiphon in the “Missal” recited.

You can read more from THIS SOURCE.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • The recent edition of The Gregorian Missal has pretty accurate translations of all the propers (far superior to the old slap-dash paraphrases).

Also, you may want to obtain a copy of this - - -

Sacred Latin Texts and English Translations for the Choral Conductor and Church Musician
    (Propers of the Mass)
    Compiled by
    William Bausano
    Music Reference Collection, Number 68
    Greenwood Press
    Westport, Connecticut - London

I acquired this book in 2003, and don't know whether it is still in print, but it is certainly well worth the effort to find out. The translations are really good. Although they are in an Elizabethan-like language, it is easy enough to modernise pronouns and verb forms if one feels the need for this.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen canadash
  • chonakchonak
    I believe that the Lumen Christi Missal from Illuminare Publications contains the approved translation of the antiphons; the book itself is not free, but the web site has some downloadable resources for free which may be useful to you.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Have you examined Richard Rice's latest revision of the Simple Choral Gradual? Or Andrew Motyka's Laudate Dominum Communion Antiphons?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    It might depend on what you're looking at. If you are looking at the texts of the antiphons from the Roman Missal, then yes, resources like SEP often differ in wording or are sometimes entirely different.

The reason is that SEP and other musical settings of the propers are not based on the texts of the Roman Missal, but on the chants of the Graduale Romanum. Jeff Ostrowksi gives a thorough discussion of the difference between the texts of the Roman Missal and the Graduale Romanum. In short: the texts to be sung (Graduale Romanum) are different from the texts to be said when there is no singing (Roman Missal).

In the Lumen Christi Missal both texts are printed, but only the ones from the Graduale Romanum (in an approved translation that matches the style of the Roman Missal) are set to music in the Simple Gradual section. You can browse the entire LCM through the provided link.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • chonakchonak
    Here is a list (collected by Ben Yanke and Noel Jones) of English settings for the antiphons, with information on whence their texts are taken.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Caleferink
    Fr. Columba Kelly has set the Roman Missal antiphon texts to chant melodies, and with the Communion chants has provided Psalms to go with them.

Introits: http://www.saintmeinrad.edu/media/156061/Entrance Antiphons.pdf
    Communion: http://www.saintmeinrad.edu/media/110095/CK_Communion_Book_2012-08-15.pdf
    Thanked by 1ScottKChicago
  • hartleymartin
    For the introits, what is the "Congregational Refrain?"
  • hartleymartin
    It would have been helpful if he had provided psalm verses for the introits aswell...
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    The congregational refrain is a refrain that, if one prefers, can be repeated by the congregation after each verse or each set of verses, instead of repeating the entire antiphon. The entire Entrance Chant is still started and ended by singing the antiphon (by the choir alone, I presume).

I think Fr. Kelly provides for a lot of flexibility here: from the references to the Graduale Romanum I understand that it is also possible to use the Latin Introit from the GR and sing the verses in English (or Latin) with the people responding with the congregational refrain. This way, you keep the beauty of the original Gregorian chant, while the people in the pews still get the main thought of the proper text (which is taken from either the antiphon or the psalm). Also, you can choose to either have the people actively engaged in singing during the entrance procession, or keep the traditional role for the choir and cantor with the people actively listening to the Entrance Chant.
    Thanked by 1ScottKChicago
  • hartleymartin
    What shall we call this music collection? The Columba Propers? The Meinrad Propers?

These might be a useful resource for groups who would like something a little more challenging than the SEP.