Lord, Send Out Your Spirit - Peloquin setting
  • AP23AP23
    I started this thread, because I was curious to know how many of you knew about the Peloquin setting of Psalm 104 published by GIA. In addition, who of you used it?
  • rich_enough
    As an organist I have played the accompaniment for choir. It's typical of Peloquin's style - very forward, "Bernstein-Broadway" kind of sound with plenty of seventh chords, driving rhythms, and some wild gesticulations from the organ at the end.

It's fun to play and sing, but in my opinion the setting draws too much attention to itself. It also sounds a bit dated.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Is that the one that starts with the over-the-top, pounding triplets that start in octaves then fill out into chords in the intro?

Oh yes, I've done it. A long time ago. And that's where it belongs. In the mists of time.
    Thanked by 1WiesOrganista
  • Bobby Bolin
    It's definitely different. They used it at the Papal Mass in Washington when Pope Benedict came to the United States.
  • C. Alexander Peloquin has quite a history with the CAECILIA and CMAA Magazine, believe it or not . . .
  • Steve QSteve Q
    It also sounds a bit dated.

My choir last did this circa 1983.
  • ghmus7
    I've done it many times, and have had varied responses.
    Al lot of Pelequin's music is well written, but some of it does sound like 1970's liturgy.
    At least he had the courage to write something other than a triad.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    It is just so out-of-line with what Catholic music should sound like that the sound is disturbing to the liturgy. If you're accustomed to rock-and-roll Masses, then perhaps it's a step in the right direction. But in places where chant is thriving, the thought of this piece seems very out of place.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    "There is an appointed time for everything,
    and a time for every affair under the heavens." --Ecclesiastes 3:1
  • AP23AP23
    "There is an appointed time for everything,
    and a time for every affair under the heavens." --Ecclesiastes 3:1

There is a time for Peloquin (that which is Pentecost), a time for Haugen; a time for Chepponis, a time for Haas; a time for chants, a time for Becker; a time for Beethoven, a time for Mozart--wait, a time for Mozart is really rare, if there are any. :)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    a time for Haas; a time for chants, a time for Becker; a time for Beethoven, a time for Mozart

car trips; Mass; 1997; Saturday afternoon; never
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • AP23AP23
    a time for Haas; a time for chants, a time for Becker; a time for Beethoven, a time for Mozart
    car trips; Mass; 1997; Saturday afternoon; never

When's the time for Peloquin & Haugen?

Also, I said a time for Chepponis. I have noticed that Fr. Chepponis himself participates in this forum. I am sorry if you have been offended by this at all. I meant no harm. I was just using you as an example in my "poem" since I think you are such a good composer.
    Thanked by 1Fr. Jim Chepponis
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Wait... what's wrong with Mozart?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • AP23,

Thanks for mentioning me! I appreciate your words of support.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

His music.
    Thanked by 2Gavin AP23
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    No, no, no. Mozart is the best ever. It's his misfortune that people insist on performing and playing on the radio some of his childhood productions, but mature Mozart chamber music has never been surpassed.
  • SkirpRSkirpR

His music.

Well, we've found an area where we substantially disagree!
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • CharlesW
    Some of the music written late in his career has a depth and beauty not present in his early works.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm sorry. Let me try again.

::cough cough::

His music.
    Thanked by 3SkirpR Salieri AP23
  • SalieriSalieri
    It is for conversations like this that I chose this username... Mwah-ha-ha-ha!!
    Thanked by 2Gavin eft94530
  • AP23AP23
    Mozart:

1. Is boastful.
    2. Is obsessed with scales.
    3. Is obsessed with tons of notes.
    4. Focuses too much on strings.
    5. Just to name a few...

His "Eine Kleine Nacthmusik" thingy is probably one of his best compositions. And of all pieces he had to name that one "Not Music".
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • AP23AP23
    It is for conversations like this that I chose this username... Mwah-ha-ha-ha!!

Speaking of Salieri, the actual composer in the time of Mozart, is his march in the Amadeus movie actually composed by him? If so, I think Salieri sounds better than Mozart.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Grrr. Some hack in Hollywood made Figaro's song "Se vuol balare" into a variant of the supposed Salieri piece. No idea if Salieri composed the march, but Mozart certainly did not compose the variant.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    ...is his march in the Amadeus movie actually composed by him?

I can't answer that, but I remember this scene being much funnier in the stage production, which used a different march that was plausibly and very gradually tweaked into Non più andrai.
    Thanked by 1mrcopper