Latin Pew Cards?
  • bcb
    Now that we've been using the English missal chants at our parish, there is some discussion of moving to the Latin with the same melodies. Does anyone have/know of any pew cards that have the Latin with the missal melodies (Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus, Memorial Acclamation, and Agnus, with or without Credo)? Neumes preferred, but I'll certainly take modern if you've got it.

If I can't find that, does anyone have pew cards with just the Latin words (no music)?

Thanks in advance!

BCB
  • CharlesW
    I can scan the one that we used during Lent. It is two-sided 8 and 1/2 by 11 and we made it ourselves. It doesn't contain the Credo or Gloria. Give me an e-mail address to send it to.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    There are several such resources on this website with the English text, I'm not sure if there is a ready made Latin card. I made my own as well by copying from the Parish Book of Chant (available as a free download). I can send you a copy, but we only did the Sanctus and Agnus Dei in Latin, memorial acclamation was in English and we never have sung the creed (I was literally laughed at for even suggesting that we try singing it to commemorate the year of faith).

ICEL has the Sanctus and Agnus Dei in Latin in modern notation. I think the Gloria is only in English though.
  • bcb
    Thanks for the offers: We already have the English ICEL booklets out (taped inside the missal). No Credo is fine, but we do want the Gloria. If no one has a pre-made one with the Gloria, I'll probably cut-and-paste from the PBC, or I might just do the words since they know the melodies.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    This reminded me of what one of our schola directors made for the congregation. He used card stock and printed four different cards for the liturgical year with a different Gregorian chant mass setting and the appropriate Marian antiphon on each.

Sundays after Pentecost (green): Mass XI (Orbis Factor) and Salve Regina
    Advent and Lent (violet): Mass XVII (In Dominicis Adventus et Quad.) and Ave Regina Caelorum and Alma Redemptoris Mater
    Christmas (white): Mass VIII (De Angelis) and Alma Redemptoris Mater
    Easter (yellow): Mass I (Lux et Origo) and Regina Caeli
  • bcb
    These would be great! Any chance you could ask your schola directors for permission to upload those?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Unfortunately, that director moved out of state and I'm actually at a different parish now as well. They were very popular, though. I can make a sample pdf and attach it if you'd like. If I remember correctly, they were about half the size of an 8.5 x 11 page.

• JulieCollJulieColl
    BCB, I put something together very quickly, for the Sundays after Pentecost with the chant notation for the Kyrie, Sanctus and Agnus Dei of Mass XI and with the Salve Regina.

I set it up so if you print this out double-sided on 8.5 x 11 card stock, you'll end up with two complete cards. ( I had to set it up sideways and the other side upside-down so that's why it looks weird.)

When you print it out, print it "double-sided" and "flip on long edge".

If you want any changes, let me know and I can adjust it.

P.S. I replaced the first file since the back page was wrong. This should be correct.
    Thanked by 2bcb ryand
  • It is to me a matter of dismay that, despite the constitution on the liturgy, many or most parishes (UK) sing hymns instead of singing the Mass and, where the Mass is sung this is limited to the ordinary, mostly in English, and propers are omitted. Where Latin ordinary is sung, the congregation usually have nothing to follow, and this can generate criticism of singing the Mass in Latin.

Like those in this discussion, I have yet to find a source of laminated pews cards for Latin Masses. Generally, publishers are not interested - they can sell hymn books at a decent margin - production of pew cards for each Mass would be disproportionately costly and the margins too slim. CMAA's Book of Parish Chant and which I imported for our schola, is wonderful but, it is unaffordable as a pew book and, you only need look at the condition of pew hymn books to conclude that these - and even a limited Latin booklet as we had in my previous parish, would become dog-eared wrecks unworthy of handing out.

My suggestion is that CMAA step up to the task and produce a selection of pew cards online, one card for each Mass and to include the Gloria. It would not be practicable to include the Credo - that would need a separate series of cards, for ideally Credo I and Credo III - although, some parishes might be more adventurous than this. The cards would be available worldwide for printing, perhaps at a fee to offset CMAA's expenses, and parishes could make their own arrangements for lamination - laminating devices are not expensive.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CHGiffen
  • tomjaw
    @Alan_Pontet You may find sets of laminated cards in a dusty cupboard... we (UK) have several sets in our cupboards published in the sometime before the 1980's...

There are problems with these type of cards,
    1. Do you use modern notation or chant notation.

2. Do you have people at the back to had each person a copy of the Propers, another card with the music of the Mass setting, a card with the Credo and then a Hymnbook.

3. How do you store and organise the sets of cards?

The advantage we have is we can easily and cheaply print quality cards on the parish copiers. So having a section with formatted cards may be of use, although I would be interested to see how many will be used.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ServiamScores
    I produced pew cards for my previous parish, but used modern stemless transcriptions. Depending on the length of the ordinary, they can be quite cramped, but it can be done. Our cards for Advent/Lent even have ibterlinear translations. I can share them here if that would be helpful.
  • GerardH
    I have digital files for pewcards of Masses 8, 9, 11, 15 and 17, as well as ICEL. I have them printed on cream, blue, green, white, purple and white paper respectively, and most of the sets laminated. Squarenotes with ICEL translation in-line. PM me if you are interested.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • a_f_hawkins
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Nisi
    "My suggestion is that CMAA step up to the task and produce a selection of pew cards online, one card for each Mass and to include the Gloria."
    I think this is an excellent idea, Alan_Pontet, and I second the motion. Prof. Mahrt could choose the Mass Ordinary settings. How many different cards, e.g., Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter, Sundays after Epiphany ... ?
  • chonakchonak
    It might be worthwhile to do some experimenting to figure out what formats would be attractive and useful: 8.5 x 11, folded in half, or in thirds; maybe 8.5 x 14 ("legal size")? 11 x 17 trifold? Is card stock easily available in all these sizes?

Any of these can be printed at copy shops and office-supply stores, but some people don't have a budget that allows for any outside printing. So the biggest formats with the most room to make attractive results are not going to work for everybody.

• chonakchonak
    Here's a first attempt to provide what @bcb was asking for (two versions, depending on which paper size one uses).

(Reposted to correct a typo. There might be others!)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen