Dominican Rite Chant
  • hartleymartin
    Is Dominican Rite Chant available as a published volume? I've got an increasing number of requests for it but cannot find it anywhere. Even the local Dominicans in Australia only have very poor quality pdfs that are virtually unreadable.
  • MHIMHI
  • chonakchonak
    You can find Fr. Augustine Thompson's e-mail address on the masthead of the New Liturgical Movement blog (now sponsored by CMAA).

We host some of his books at http://musicasacra.com/dominican-liturgy/ .
    Thanked by 1Hilary Cesare
  • MHIMHI
  • tomjaw
    I have a few of the Domincan Hymns retypeset, pm me if you need those.

The following books (for EF) are available online most on Fr. Thompson's website;

Graduale
    Antiphonale
    Matutinum (This is not a complete nocturnale)
    Processional

There is also a book of translations of the Dominican Hymns by Aquinas Burns, and also a dissertation about the Hymns and their melodies.

I also believe the ancient manuscripts are also online.

Also it must be mentioned that Fr. Thompson has produced modern volumes for the Domincian office.
  • lautzef
    I know they have at least some of it in published form that you can buy. I was at Sta. Sabina in Rome and there is a bookstore right next to the church. I bought several of the chant volumes - of course, this was twenty-some years ago, but I'm sure it's still there. I don't recall seeing a complete set of chant books but do remember a small book for compline, a lectionary, and some others. I didn't see anything similar to the Liber Usualis or Liber Nocturnalis. There's got to be a list somewhere of what's available and what's not.
  • hartleymartin
    I managed to find a pdf of the 1950 dominican rite gradual. The mass I did today had the Master-General of the Dominican Order presiding. I had the introit (or "officium") and the Communion chants sung according to the Dominican Rite Chant. For the communion, we chanted the psalm verses as per the Roman Gradual. A thoroughly satisfying mass for a liturgy nerd like me.
  • svaillan
    I have at least 30 old Dominican graduals in various states of disrepair if you are interested in a few.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • hartleymartin
    I might be, so long as they are complete.
  • svaillan
    They are. 1928 edition
  • Is there any need for setting them in GABC?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • hartleymartin
    If they should be set in GABC it should be the 1950 edition, which is available as a PDF somewhere on this site, and as a print edition on lulu.com (for about $35)

What would really be handy is knowing which psalms were to be chanted with the offertories and communions. The Dominican Rite Gradual differs from the Graduale Romanum on this, so I looked to what Psalm the GR had (using the Communios on this website) and copied them.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • hartleymartin
    Certainly, if the Feast of St Dominic hasn't been knocked out by something else in this year's calendar in Australia, I'll use the Dominican Rite Chants for that day.
    Thanked by 1CCooze