"Nova Organi Harmonia"
  • Many people have shown interest in "Nova Organi Harmonia", the 7-volume publication containing accompaniments to the entire "Liver Usualis". International research, all the way to the Lemmens Institute where the work was publish in 1942, show that it will be legally possible to reprint it. Jeff Ostrowski has begun a campaign to raise funds to cover the professional scanning. What we really need are the original books in order to achieve the highest standard of scanning. (Jeff's own copy, which he has shared with some, is not the original. And I have shared scans of my copy of his with several people over the last couple of years.)

Have any of you ever seen this work in any library? In any parish or cathedral music office? Anywhere?

(It's been on my own wish list at Loome Theological Bookstore for years!)
  • Well, I found two copies and also found that I live exactly 4,300 miles from a library in Amsterdam and another library in Utrecht....where the only listed library copies are....
  • Yes. That's what Michael found when he searched the database, while I was still on the phone. I just seems like there mus be more than one within our reach here in the USA!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    But even if we find it in a library, we cannot use a library copy to scan it . . .

The most important thing is that anyone who wants to donate a few dollars to get this book in PDF form for all E-mail me at:

jeff@ostrowski.cc with "NOH" in the subject line.

There are 2,700 pages and it costs 20 cents per page. Even $5 or $10 would help us!

Thanks to STEVE COLLINS, who went all the way to the top, and found out that the copyright was not renewed in USA or Europe.
  • incantuincantu
    A suggestion:

You might request that people donate funds for a specific section (e.g. Marian feasts, Masses for Sundays of Easter, Kyriale, Vespers, etc.) I'm not sure how the volumes are arranged, but people might be more likely to contribute if they knew what their $10 or $50 was going toward.
  • Regarding libraries that own NOH, http://www.worldcat.org/ (the largest union library catalog in the world) lists the following libraries:

1. Detroit Public Library Detroit, MI 48202 United States

2. Duquesne University Library Pittsburgh, PA 15282 United States

3. Saint Joseph's College Rensselaer, IN 47978 United States

4. Universiteit Utrecht Utrecht, 3584 CS Netherlands

5. University of Dayton Dayton, OH 45469 United States

6. Saint John's University Collegeville, MN 56321 United States

7. Washington University Libraries St Louis, MO 63130 United States

8. Bibliotheek Universiteit Van Amsterdam Amsterdam, 1012 WP Netherlands

Check the specific library's on-line catalog for information regarding its holdings.

Thank you.

John D. Horton
    Tacoma, Washington
    USA
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    GREAT NEWS !!!!! I was able to find the original volumes of NOH, and they are being mailed to me so we can scan them in and make them available to all.

I want to invite you to donate to this project by E-mailing me (see above).

FOLKS HAVE BEEN GENEROUS and we have enough pledged donations to have it scanned.

But I am a little sad because several people are making LARGE donations. Yet, I know that once it is available, people will be downloading it.

I wish everyone that is interested in the NOH would give at least $5 —— then certain people would not have to give so much.

Please think about it. If you plan on downloading 2,750 pages of FREE Gregorian chant accompaniments in PDF format, why not donate $5 ??
  • Carl DCarl D
    A suggestion, Jeff. Why don't you post, say, the table of contents and a dozen representative pages? That would let me see first-hand the value that I might get from contributing to this worthy cause.

Just a way to build excitement and support for the project!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Here are some examples, my friend:

examples of the NOH

best regards,

JMO
  • Skip a designer coffee and send the $ to Jeff!

In fact, that might be a good idea for any project that comes along...none of us are making the kind of $ we should be...if any...doing this music, but a little privation is good for the soul, so why not make a regular practice of everyone on the list kicking in $5 or $10 to help out on this project.

I've got a VW in the car hospital and it doesn't look good...but I'm sending in $10 right now.

Let's call it the Honorable Jeffrey Tucker Bow Tie Fund....and fill it up every so often....

I'm in favor of unaccompanied chant, so why would I download a copy of this? Once my people can sing it unaccompanied, we plan to add organ accompaniment to make it even more beautiful with this lovely accompaniments. Organ not to support the singers, but to adorn the chant....

Give to the HONORABLE JEFFREY TUCKER BOWTIE FUND, GIVE TILL IT HURTS...and then loosen the knot just a bit.
  • Same here, just shelled out $800 at the dentist, but I'm sending in my undisclosed donation. My left hand is becoming suspicious of my right..
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Just a reminder, the donations will be to a non-profit organization which will be hosting it, so they are all tax-deductible.

At this point, the books have not arrived at my house (they are being mailed on Monday from Pennsylvania), and I have made it clear to the ones who have pledged that only when we have the books in our hands will we be accepting the donations.

I wanted to send it off immediately, but I think it is worthwhile to wait for the ACTUAL BOOKS, because we will get a better scan. Also, Steve is finding out if we can include the Peeters Gregorian Accompaniment Method Book as well, which was written to explain the NOH.

But it is hard to be patient!
  • Gilbert
    The NOH is gonna be great! These organ accompaniments really sound amazing. I'm definitely gonna push for the choir I'm in to sing some of these. Our choir leader is a wonderful organ player. I think having these beautiful organ accompaniments really increases the chances of our getting to sing propers at Mass. Yippy!
  • For those who think this music wouldn't serve any purpose because they aren't doing Gregorian propers, look at the samples taken from Vespers that Jeff has put up. My schola sings without accompaniment and our current "venue" doesn't have an organ, but considering these arrangements gives my "harmonically-trained" mind something to consider.

Forget the designer coffee - donate the price of a better bottle of wine!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    By the way, a lot of people have come forward and promised to give $5, $10, or $15.

THANK YOU! The more people who do this means that a generous few will not have to shell out hundreds and hundreds of dollars. (seriously)

Even $3 will help us. You think I am kidding, but I am NOT KIDDING.

To me, $5 seems like a pretty cool deal for 2,700 pages of Gregorian chant accompaniments!!!

A REMINDER that the books are being mailed to me from Pennsylvania. They should arrive next week. Only when I have the original books IN MY HANDS will donations be accepted.
  • Pes
    Hey Jeff, will it be possible to get the PDF's indexed properly? Cf. the Liber posted here. Nicely bookmarked. Very useful.
  • I agree. The Liber is very well indexed.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I agree that the Liber is properly indexed, and I am praying we can do the same.
  • Please don't drink $3/bottle wine. Move up at least one shelf.

And that Liber - I can just zip around in there. Not to mention that I can make things VERY LARGE for singers, removing the "notes are too small" excuse. (Of course, there's always another excuse in the wings.)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    People are being really generous, which is AWESOME. I simply cannot wait for the books to arrive. Since Jeffrey Tucker has scanned so many books at his own personal expense, I am going to get some advice from him on the best way to scan these, so I make sure to do a good job. He has already put me in touch with the professional scanner he uses.

I especially appreciate the $5 donations (I am not kidding).

In Christ,

JMO
  • It can be indexed. just takes time. thankless work!
  • We can solve that.

Thanks for the index.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Just a heads up that the books are still en route --- they were sent book rate, because they are very heavy.
  • francis
    incredible music, excellent voice leading, a superb project! i am in too. i just started a schola in our parish and people are jumping on the musical train back to heaven.
  • ISTM that if we were to go to the trouble of indexing the work, there should also be correlation to using the Propers at OF Masses as well. There are a handful of Saint's days that are different.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Just F.Y.I., I still have not received the books. They were sent "book rate."

If anyone else wants to pledge a tiny donation, please let me know (even a $2 donation REALLY helps us, for reasons I cannot go into right now). As soon as the books arrive, I will be asking folks to honor the pledges they made.

Thank you all for being so wonderful !!!

In Christ,

JMO
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    OK, the books have been sent to the printer, but my delivery confirmation tells me that they have not arrived yet.

Best,

JMO