Compline on Vatican Radio
  • chonakchonak
    This discussion was created from comments split from: OF Compline available.
  • jenuwine
    Yesterday I was listening to and praying along with the Vatican Radio OF Compline. It was mostly Compline after II Vespers for the Solemnity (Sacred Heart). However the antiphon for Psalm 90 was not "Qui habitant ..." but rather "Angelis suis Deus ..."

Anybody have any insight into the what/why/where of this?
  • chonakchonak
    Is that even a real service? When I hear the Office on Vatican Radio, it always sounds to me as if the program were composed of pre-prepared audio clips: a reading here, a psalm there, etc., not all recorded in the same place at the same time (and not live audio, either).
  • jenuwine
    Other than the tweak with the Antiphon, it matched OF Compline right out of Liturgy of the Hours.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Liturgia Horarum gives "Alis suis obumbrábit tibi; non timébis a timóre noctúrno" for the antiphon, but this text is not found in the Gregorian repertoire.

The Ordo Cantus Officii gives Qui habitat for the antiphon. Laus Divina however gives Angelis suis Dominus for Sundays and Qui habitat for Solemnities. The antiphon Angeluis suis Dominus is only found in a manuscript (Vallic C.32, 73v). The mode 8 antiphon sung on Vatican Radio was Angelis suis Deus (AM3, 239), which is also taken from Psalm 91 (90), 11 but is different from what Laus Divina suggests.

As the sung offices on Vatican Radio set an example, it would be better if they just followed the OCO, as this is what is currently available to us.

Also: the Office of Compline in Latin and with Gregorian chant is also available from Lulu.com.
  • jenuwine
    Thank you! Mystery solved!

Would you be willing to slip that into an appendix in a revised edition of the Lulu.com books; or make an addendum card that could be placed in the volume with that antiphon on it?