New hymnal hot off the press: "Oramos Cantando/We Pray in Song"
  • GIA's new hymnal, "Oramos Cantando/We Pray in Song" is hot off the press! The fruit of an eleven-year effort, the hymnal is intended especially for multicultural, bilingual (Anglo/Latino) Roman Catholic parishes and communities. Far more than a collection of music in two different languages, it is a complete hymnal for the Latino community and a complete hymnal for the Anglo community under one cover, with the entirety of its contents, except for a few pieces of service music, presented in both English and Spanish.

The hymnal's realization is a tribute to the vision of Bob Batastini, former Vice President and Senior Editor of GIA Publications, who served as the original Project Director. When Bob retired from GIA, Fr. Ron Krisman took over as General Editor and Project Director. Ron has worked very hard on this hymnal, and the result is spectacular!

More information can be found here:
    http://www.giamusic.com/search_details.cfm?title_id=9263
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Is there an index available?

• MatthewJ: I don't think the indexes are online, but a preliminary list of titles can be downloaded here:
    http://www.giamusic.com/sacred_music/hymnals_new_oramoscantando.cfm
  • ronkrisman
    Is there an index available?

matthewj, a listing of hymns and psalms contained in Oramos Cantando / We Pray in Song is found at: http://www.giamusic.com/pdf/oramos-cantando-contents.pdf

There is an indication that this is the "nearly final" listing. However, it appears to me to be the final listing of hymns and psalms. Not listed is all the service music in the "rites" section and the 80 musical items in the "service music" section. The eight complete Mass settings are listed.

GIA plans to post the 101-page index from the hymnal at its website - perhaps sometime today.
  • Nothing seems to be said about the organ accompaniment on their site, any news on this, and how much it will cost? Also, will they have an instrument book C / Bb?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Do the ICEL chants include a Spanish sung version? Or a Spanish translation right under the English?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Is a Spanish translation included in the Latin chant Mass (which I assume is Kyrie XVI, Gloria VIII, Credo III, Sanctus XVIII, Mortem Tuam, Pater Noster, Agnus Dei XVIII)?
  • ronkrisman
    CB, there will be an organ accompaniment, a collection of all the lectionary psalms, a choir edition of the hymnal, and books for instrumentalists. Hopefully, all will appear through the summer.
  • ronkrisman
    Do the ICEL chants include a Spanish sung version? Or a Spanish translation right under the English?

For me personally the chant settings are one of the most significant features of this hymnal. Latinos in the USA by and large do not chant even the Lord's Prayer at Mass, much less dialogues or a "Santo" modeled on Latin Mass XVIII. So Oramos Cantando / We Pray in Song is offering a different approach to singing the Mass, presenting plainsong chants in its Order of Mass section.

Whenever some musical setting of an item from the Order of Mass is presented in English, it is also presented in Spanish. There is only one exception to this in the "service music" section: the Latin "Asperges me," presented along with with the Proulx English translation does not have a Spanish text.

In the Order of Mass, English and Spanish texts are interlined together about half the time. But whenever the notation became significantly dissimilar separate engravings were provided. An example, the "Suscipiat" before the preface dialogue has both texts under the one staff because the music largely uses reciting tones. But all the chanted music for the eucharistic prayer (preface dialogue, sanctus, 3 memorial acclamations, amen) has separate music for the two languages.

Whenever ordinary chants were available either in the Misal Romano from Spain or from Mexico, we used them if they were anywhere close to the Latin versions. At times we composed new settings which imitated the Latin, as the ICEL English settings generally do.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood irishtenor
  • ronkrisman
    Is a Spanish translation included in the Latin chant Mass (which I assume is Kyrie XVI, Gloria VIII, Credo III, Sanctus XVIII, Mortem Tuam, Pater Noster, Agnus Dei XVIII)?

Not actually in what is entitled: Setting Eight: Cantus Missae Those 11 pages use the same engraving as has been used in GIA hymnals since Worship III. Everything is in Latin.

But some of those Latin chants are what were used by ICEL in its English chants for the Order of Mass. Those (such as Sanctus XVIII), appear in place in the Order of Mass in both English and Spanish.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Basic chants that everyone should know... in Spanish?
    Be still, my beating heart!
  • ronkrisman
    Yes, AW, I was most surprised with the number of common chants that seem not to be available in Spanish. I searched for over a decade for a Spanish translation of the Pentecost sequence in 777 meter. Nothing. Nada. I did my own translation. (Mea culpa.)

Francisco Luis Bernárdez, a Porteño, translated many of the hymns of the Roman Breviary in around 1951. Almost none of them follow the meter of the Latin originals; many do not have a recognizable meter at all, so their musical usefulness is practically nil. Most unfortunate. I was taken with his 11 11 11 11 translation of the LM "Veni Creator Spiritus," so I had Mary Louise Bringle create an 11 11 11 11 English text from the Spanish and the Latin, to which I wrote a new melody with hints of the VENI CREATOR SPIRITUS tune. (The Oramos Cantando / We Pray in Song hymnal also includes the Latin "Veni Creator Spiritus" and the "Ave Maria" without English and Spanish translations.)

There also was no Spanish translation of "Creator Alme Siderum" that could be located. And the Spanish translation of the "Adoro Te Devote," which had appeared previously in some publications as anonymously translated had its provenance tracked back to Spain's José María Pemán, 1897-1981. I added a Spanish text to the Latin/English In Paradisum and Parce Domine chants. We include three languages for "Attende Domine," and two for "O Filii et Filiae" and "Divinum Mysterium." There are 33 Taizé chants in the hymnal, all but a few with both English and Spanish texts, a few completely in Latin or Greek (Kyries).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This is great.
    Thanked by 1matthewj
  • ronkrisman
    Thanked by 2matthewj CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I second Adam Wood's sentiment.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm sorry, I've copyrighted those sentiments. You'll have to find your own.