Composition approval process - when to copyright?
  • AP23AP23
    Hello.

I am interested in composing some pieces (specifically Responsorial Psalms) to be used in Mass, independent from a publisher. I was reading a previous thread on these forums, and from there found this document: http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/uploads/2012/01/BCL policy musical compos.pdf

After reading that, I think I pretty much understand the process of approval for settings of the Ordinary of the Mass. Please confirm that I have it correct, and I have another question.

The process I understand is:

The Secretariat must approve the text.

After that, the publisher must get a copyright release contract with ICEL.

My question is: When should you register the music with the US Copyright Office, before the Secretariat sees it, after the Secretariat sees it and before you get a contract with ICEL, or after you get a contract with ICEL?
  • chonakchonak
    Well, ICEL wouldn't be involved with the text of Responsorial Psalm settings. The copyright on the Lectionary belongs to Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, a corporation (which seems to be) connected to the USCCB.

(Sorry this doesn't answer your main question!)
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Not to confuse matters, but actually, isn't it true that ICEL translated the antiphons of the Responsorial Psalms, even though the Psalms themselves are from the NAB (in the US)?
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    I think so. For instance, the copyright notice in the front of the Lumen Christi Missal has:

The English translation of some Psalm responses, some Alleluia and Gospel verses, and the Lenten Gospel Acclamations, some Summaries, and the Titles and Conclusion of the Readings, from the Lectionary for Mass © 1968, 1981, 1997, International Committee on English in the Liturgy, Inc., Washington D.C. All rights reserved.

Some Psalm responses... but which ones?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I would assume the ones that don't directly quote the NAB Psalm verses.

I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, based on Liturgiam Authenticam, that when there eventually is an new Lectionary in the US, the antiphon/response translations will match the Psalm text when the Latin of both is the same.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My question is: When should you register the music with the US Copyright Office, before the Secretariat sees it, after the Secretariat sees it and before you get a contract with ICEL, or after you get a contract with ICEL?

You own the copyright on a piece of work the minute you produce it.

If you are planning to get a work published with a major publisher, do not register it first. They will deal with that for you (and assign the copyright to themselves.)

If you are self-publishing/self-distributing, there are two general opinions:
    -Don't bother registering it. It isn't needed unless you plan to sue people.
    -Register as soon as possible, because you might need to sue someone.

Approval from ICEL, etc has nothing to do with copyright. The "Order of Operations" here isn't relevant.

Thanked by 1Jeffrey Tucker
  • AP23AP23
    Approval from ICEL, etc has nothing to do with copyright. The "Order of Operations" here isn't relevant.

The reason I want to know when I register it is because I want to know specifically: Should I put the lyrics in the document I register with the US Copyright Office? If I do, I would need copyright release from ICEL or USCCB, correct?

This is why the "Order of Operations" is relevant.
  • AP23AP23
    P.S. Could someone please answer my "Kevin Keil Good Friday General Intercessions - Rhythmic verses" question over in General Discussions - Music?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Should I put the lyrics in the document I register with the US Copyright Office? If I do, I would need copyright release from ICEL or USCCB, correct?

Put the lyrics, and a note as to who owns them.

Approval is only "relevant" because (in theory), parishes are only supposed to sing settings which have been approved.
  • chonakchonak
    In case anyone needs them, here are the copyright policy pages for ICEL and USCCB.
  • AP23AP23
    So, would it be fine to show the Secretariat a version not registered with the US Copyright Office? I should think so.

Also, how do I submit a piece to the Secretariat for approval? Mailing address? Email address? Email is my preferred method.
  • chonakchonak
    Here's their contact info. Why not call and ask?

USCCB
    Secretariat of Divine Worship
    3211 Fourth Street, NE
    Washington, DC 20017
    Tel: (202) 541–3060
    Fax: (202) 541–3088
  • AP23AP23
    Thank you.

How do I go about mailing it? Do I attach a cover letter? What should I send in the package?
  • chonakchonak
    Call them to ask. They're nice enough to answer e-mails (I'd post the address if I knew it), so they'll probably take a call too. Let us know what you find out.