Please Help Me (where to start with youth choir)
  • I have started a choir composed of mostly youth. It was in an effort to get more of my high school students to attend mass. We began by singing youth songs as I knew no better. My research and God hve led me to discover the true church teachings on music and I would like to impliment some of what I have learned. Where do I start. I have considered buying the simple english propers, the Psalm book put out by CCwatershed, the Vatican 2 hymnal... but I not sure which resource would be most helpful. Is there one that has english chant propers and mass parts or do I have to buy several resources. Please help and God bless.
  • ghmus7
    God Bless you.
    I would start with some good English Hymns, such as in the Vat II Hymnal, and a handful of Latin chants that are not too hard. The parish book of Chant is a good source and is avaliable online at this site. I wouldn't throw too much at them at first, but talk about the hymns and the chants that contain perennial Cathoilc teaching.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • matthewjmatthewj
    First talk with your pastor and/or boss.

Let them know what you're planning on doing so it doesn't blind-side them when suddenly you switch from Awesome God to Adoro te Devote.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    First talk with your pastor and/or boss.

Yes. To Obi-matthewj you listen. And remember that most pastors are fully aware and experienced in the joke that it is easier to negotiate with a terrorist than a liturgist, so instead get your schmooze on.
    Thanked by 1IanW
  • Kathy
    I agree with all that has been said above.

Plan on going slowly, talk to your pastor, and start with the Parish Book of Chant.

Are you in high school? Or a volunteer or employee? That makes a difference in how to approach things. If you are in high school I think you have plenty of freedom.
  • canadashcanadash
    I started with Taize chant at Communion. I found chants which mirrored the refrains of the propers of the day. This was a loose interpretation of propers. I had the refrain with the "proper" verses, which were chanted by trebles or basses. From there we have moved to the SEP and occasionally the Gregorian propers.

We have, with the support of our Pastor learned many seasonal chants and the chants for the ordinary of the Mass. The Parish Book of Chant is helpful for this.

My advice is the same as above: have a talk with your pastor and proceed slowly.
  • Kathy
    I also agree that Taize chants would be a good beginning.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Gavin
  • I agree with all the comments above. Taize is a great place to start. The first chant I taught my children's choir was "Ave Maria". They picked it up very easily. The next one was "Salve Regina". But, go slowly. Perhaps some well known hymns such as "Panis Angelicus" to start. Perhaps sandwich them through the mass, i.e., two communion hymns....first one "Bread of Life" and second one "Panis Angelicus". This gives a variety, will not "offend" anybody by changing too quickly and still begin the long, often laborious, and definitely emotional, journey of changing music genres.

Check with your pastor and make sure this is what he wants for his parish.
  • Yes, check with the pastor.

In a previous post on this subject, I offered the advice--based on many years experience with the younger set--that you can overcome a lot of psychological hurdles with the youngsters simply by telling them the adults in the parish don't want them to do it.

It would be true, by the way, for some old VII die hards. One mother responded that that was the best advice she had ever heard. Take it or leave it, but it works. Mumble something about how some people would consider this subversive.

But yes, go for beautiful, things that they get to be emotional about. The Kyrie from the Missa de Angelis is always a winner, but the Sanctus would be too hard...take that as a dividing line. Taize--great starting point.

Kenneth
  • May I recommend that you focus on beautiful hymns at communion? In that way, you'll focus their attention on loving God. Start with "Godhead here in hiding", of Fr. Hopkins. This will give you a chance to discuss the Pelican, and therefore rich ideas about the Eucharist. Teens aren't stupid -- merely in such a whirl that they want something solid to land on. When we get to Lent, have them sing the Stabat Mater, and attach it to Stations of the Cross. At Easter, have them learn a really good translation (or even the original Latin) of O Filii et Filiae. Perhaps you could find a setting of Soul of My Savior? (I have a chant version of it).

Remember that if you feed a 14yr old material only for his 14th year, it will be stale by next year. If you feed him music applicable to every stage of his life, he won't leave the Church.

Cheers,

Chris
    Thanked by 1IanW
  • I should have added, I suppose, that many years ago someone talked me into starting a youth choir. This same person told me that it had to be high-pep and all kiddy music. The children hated it. When, three weeks later, I put them to sing once a month, and taught them music suited for a grown up Mass, they lapped it up like a kitten offered a bowl of rich, creamy milk.
    Thanked by 2IanW amindthatsuits
  • Thanks for the advice. I am looking forward to the challenge. I appreciate the suggestion to consult the pastor. »»The students love the traditional music but his idea of a youth choir is praise and worship songs. My idea was to just slip some chant in and wow him with its beauty.
  • Cgz--I have directed children's choirs for the last 8 years. 2 years ago we had a transition in pastors and the new one wanted all hymnody and chant. The children ate it up. I don't believe that children need all "high pep and kiddy music". Unlike adults, they will gravitate to what we as adults present in the proper, loving way. While some of the parents have complained that the children's music is no longer "drummy with guitars and tambourines", the children are singing like angels. It's all in the way it's presented to them.
  • Steve QSteve Q
    ...you can overcome a lot of psychological hurdles with the youngsters simply by telling them the adults in the parish don't want them to do it.

So true. The chant-singing kids are now the new rebels against their guitar-strumming hippy parents. Anytime some adult tells you that you have to do music that "appeals to the young people", remember that this person probably hasn't the slightest idea of what appeals to young people. I have a few teenage kids in my adult choir, and the parents tell me that the kids walk around the house singing the chants they have learned.
    Thanked by 1amindthatsuits
  • canadashcanadash
    the parents tell me that the kids walk around the house singing the chants they have learned.

My son does this. Really. He's twelve.
    Thanked by 1amindthatsuits
  • WendiWendi
    My children chant around the house (and in the barn) too. We must have one of the few dairy cows on the planet that has been exposed to Gregorian Chant. :)

Although I don't know that it's a reaction to guitar strumming parents. At this stage it's more like guitar strumming grandparents. I'm 44 and many of the people my age are really resentful that we didn't get chant and polyphony growing up.

I had a phone conversation with one of my cousins (who is in his 40's) yesterday. He's very into rock music (and the Beatles), so it absolutely floored me when he stated that he preferred chant at Mass over more modern "guitar based Kumbayah" type music.

In his words, the modern stuff just doesn't fit aesthetically. Since he isn't what I would call the most devout Catholic I've encountered I found his comments to be quite interesting.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • canadashcanadash
    I'm 44 and many of the people my age are really resentful that we didn't get chant and polyphony growing up.

This is true for me as well!
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    many of the people my age are really resentful

I read an article recently, listing all the things Baby Boomers blame on Gen X and Millenials. Almost all of them included some version of "your parents didn't teach you ...".

And I thought, "yeah- whose fault is that?"
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I know these last few posts are somewhat mirthful, but which America do we want to live in?
    The one in which is S.O.P. to kvetch or even blame others for one's current station?
    The one where it's possible to set and achieve goals in any endeavor by individual effort and merit?
  • Exactly, melo.

I get that people are upset that our parent's generation tossed tradition out with, well, everything else. You know what else they were really good at? Blaming their parents for everything wrong in their lives.

Let's take what we have and make it better. It simply doesn't matter whose fault it was in the past.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • It's going to take a while to turn the young people around to the mentality that individual effort and merit achieves goals. As a teacher, these students today are depending on parents complaining to the individual teacher and/or administration for every little thing. It's easier to blame nowadays, than it is to work on goals. But, I truly believe, that if we continue to instill in these young people a work ethic that is strong and true, then goals will be achieved. Unfortunately, because these kids are being raised in an instant gratification society, when it appears that it's taking too much time to achieve goals, the blaming begins.

But, as mentioned in my previous post, with love and the correct approach, chant can be achieved, and, yes, the chants are easily memorized (especially the melodies) and children love to hum them throughout the house.

It will take a while, but, again, it will turn around. God bless to everyone who is given this task. It's not an easy one, but the Holy Spirit will guide and direct us.
    Thanked by 1Ignoto
  • My idea was to just slip some chant in and wow him with its beauty.

Umm...that's one way....but that's taking a huge chance. He may Wow! you right out of the church. Most people in positions of power really, really hate being surprised publicly.

I'd suggest teaching them a beautiful chant, then once they have it down pat, invite him to come to a rehearsal and walk around the church while you sing it to see if he feels that it might be appropriate for the choir to sing it softly after communion.

This way you have a much, much better chance of wowing him with its beauty...and I know that's what you want to do.

Suggestions, group - your thoughts? Am I being too cautious?
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • donr
    I do not think you are being to cautious. If the Fr. wants praise music and you don't give him that, you will not win.
    However, if he only wants P&W music, he may not be open to even hearing the idea.
    I would practice one piece as Noel suggests and make it beautiful. Then ask the priest if you can do a meditation piece after communion. Do it and let the cards fall where they will.
  • If said cleric wants only P&W music, honor God elsewhere, or offer it up. Minds so closed - to paraphrase Our Lord - can only be opened by prayer and fasting.
  • WendiWendi
    Ummm Dearest... I didn't say I blamed anyone in particular. Just a general lack of appreciation for the "spirit of VII" crowd that jettisoned over a thousand years worth of sacred music in favor of badly written "folk" music. Which by the way has very little to do with which instrument is used and everything to do with poor composition skills.

As an example...Silent Night was written for guitar. It remains one of my absolute favorite Christmas songs.

As for doing something about it...I'm ALL over it. I'm not the type of personality to sit around and kvetch. I'd much rather be doing something productive.
  • WendiWendi
    I do feel compelled to make one other comment. It is in my opinion an extremely BAD idea to try and get children to chant by telling them their parents won't like it.

It is the obligation of everyone in a leadership role to reinforce legitimate parental authority, not to subvert it.
  • Thank you, Wendi. Absolutely. The problem is that too many parents have either a too-right approach to parenthood or a too loose approach. But, those of us in leadership roles do not have the responsibility to counter the parents. Quite the contrary.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You can play with the same idea in better ways:
    -your parents (big brothers/sisters) won't understand it.
    -it's a secret language.
    -it's a super-power / magic spell / secret-code.

There's a line there where it could become inappropriate (Latin prayers are NOT magical incantations), but there's plenty of room in Catholic thought for fantasy and magic (cf. LoTR and Narnia) and kids know the difference between fun make-believe and (what is presented to them as) reality.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I'm 44 and many of the people my age are really resentful that we didn't get chant and polyphony growing up.

I'm 45 but was not raised in a religious tradition at all (Dad was a Ayn Rand objectivist, but is softening). After I converted to Catholicism in my 30's, I often find myself thinking, "What's wrong with you people? You are sitting on goldmine of musical tradition and not using it!"
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen gregp Jenny
  • Ignoto
    @Musicteacher56:
    with love and the correct approach, chant can be achieved

I completely agree! I think any action taken regarding the RotR has to be done with love.

1) Love for: the music (style/genre)? Sure, this might be an initially instigating factor, but I think that shouldn't be given much weight at all. Rather, on a higher level--

2) Love for: the Magisterium and the communication by the Magisterium given to us through the documents (and yes, we always have to deal with issues of interpretation), and--

3) Love for: the people we serve (that's your "correct approach" idea, taking into consideration the circumstances, influences, and general context regarding the different people that are there at the time), and ultimately--

4) Love for: God and handling this situation in the way that He wishes.

@Wendi:
    It is in my opinion an extremely BAD idea to try and get children to chant by telling them their parents won't like it.

I am so glad you mentioned this! I think that the idea of getting children to chant by telling them that their "parents won't like it" is:

a) not true of all parents
    b) potentially manipulative
    c) not following the idea of using "love and the correct approach" (recently expressed by MT56)
    Thanked by 1veromary
  • GavinGavin
    I'm 28 and resentful that I never got exposed to chant or choral music.
    Thanked by 2Ally veromary
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    33, and same as Gavin.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Geezers go "gahhhh!"
    Dearest Wendi, AW, Gavin, CR et al....
    I think the biggest urban legend that persists (and why is that, exactly?) is that there was some sort of public or stealth cabal of "Spirit of VII" people who stormed the barricades like in "Les Miz" and brought their guitars up from the crypt church and just displaced great choirs and organists willy nilly back in the day. And that myth breeds and bolsters the regret, resentment or whatever to what purpose?
    Francis and I just both finished reading Russell Shaw's "Rise...Decline...Fall of the Am.Church" and I'm sure he'd agree that the upshot of that era was one of abrogation of clerical leadership, responsibility and accountability. For every William Mahrt at St. Ann's Palo Alto, or Schuler in MN, you had a thousand parishes without coherent musical leadership. Mother Gaia abhors a vacuum, and Kathy's guitar culture (thank you Hootenanny and the Beatles) raised their hands and said "Hey, we'll help!"
    That was then, this is now.
    My undergrad ended in 74. I paid attention in all the music history courses and never forgot chant stuff, Notre Dame stuff, Guido, and certainly Palestrina and Victoria. Coincidentally it was during those years I CHOSE to enter the Catholic Church. So, I'm not sure what to make of being resentful about "not being exposed to chant."
    I will close this rant with a story. By the 80's I interviewed and got a DM position in the diocese of Oakland. I was informed of some of the modems of my predecessors. One of them had the choir stand in an almost closed circle and chant "to themselves" I was told with no joy. It's taken me decades to understand that choirmaster interpreted VII docs correctly! But that didn't prevent me from going on and teaching the choir to sing Buxtehude, Mozart Regina Coeli, Palestrina beyond Sicut, up to Distler (Furwahr..).
    It's your time, youngsters. Most of you are working very hard to hone your musical and interpersonal skills so you can deal with these inconvenient exegenses that make the average parish a politcal minefield. But people like MJMeloche and Adam Bartlett prove that you can cooperate and cajole your way towards your paradigmatic goals. sDg.
  • Ignoto
    the idea of getting children to chant by telling them that their "parents won't like it" is:

a) not true of all parents
    b) potentially manipulative
    c) not following the idea of using "love and the correct approach" (recently expressed by MT56)

d) not going to be persuasive with all (many?) children/teenagers/young adults. There are plenty of fine and upstanding children/teenagers/young adults who would actually be troubled by that suggestion, I think. For instance, I don't think it would have worked for Ben!

Also, about the age ranges--I wonder if there is an upper limit to the "resentful" idea. What about those who experienced Mass before VII--do they have fond memories of the chants and are they likewise resentful that they have not been able to experience that since VII? The thought occurred to me because I had heard some people who went to Mass before VII talking about music at Mass, and they were saying that younger people don't actually know what it was like back then--the music wasn't as great as they think it was. And when Fr. Krisman said in this thread, "I grew up with the Carlo Rossini propers and thought they were dreadful (I still do)," it just made me think...

1) Even among chants, there are many different types/styles (and even interpretations and performances).
    2) Do some chant experiences evoke longing for more whereas other experiences evoke resentment?
    3) For those who were exposed to chant pre-VII, could some people have resented the chant that they were exposed to at that time, based on the type/style/performance?
    4) Could people today get to a point where they resent chant? (I hope not!)
    5) If so, what steps can be taken to reduce the likelihood of people starting to resent chant in today's society?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    d) not going to be persuasive with all (many?) children/teenagers/young adults. There are plenty of fine and upstanding children/teenagers/young adults who would actually be troubled by that suggestion, I think.

Particularly the kind of children likely to join a church choir.

True story:

When I was in 4th grade I sat out, in protest, all performances of my public school choir's rendition of "I'm Gettin' Nuthin' for Christmas." I thought it was inappropriate to celebrate bad behavior in song. In the concert, when we got to it, I just got off the riser and sat behind it until the song was over.
    Thanked by 3Gavin Ignoto Kathy
  • Ignoto
    Good for you, Adam!!
  • Steve QSteve Q
    It is in my opinion an extremely BAD idea to try and get children to chant by telling them their parents won't like it.

Just to clarify my earlier point, I wasn't suggesting that this be done at all (I don't know about Kenneth). I was just observing the generational dynamic of our time in which kids are doing a 360 on their parents (OK, grandparents) when it comes to church music. I have found that most kids appreciate quality when they are exposed to it, even when their parents do not. Just my observation of the great opportunity ahead of us.
  • Blaise
    29 here, turning 30. When our DoM (growing up) started a schola, I must confess I thought it was odd. As I recall they sang in public but once.
  • I think I've said this before, but it's worthy repeating.

Children aren't stupid. My non-Catholic choir learned to sing Credo 1, divided so that we had three sections which used all 60 singers and other sections handed out to soloists. We didn't sing it for Mass, but merely as a concert piece at a Classical school.

If we acknowledge that it is foreign to the tastes they have developed up to this point, we can still teach them.

You might try what I have said to these groups.
    1) Someone lied to me a long time ago. He said that children won't sing, unless it's "peppy" music. You just proved this person wrong.
    2) (As I introduced Lenten music): you're not happy all the time; wouldn't you want some music to help you when you're not joyously happy?
    3) Would you think it un-natural if someone said "Yeah! Someone just run over in the parking lot. Everybody smile. Yeah!"
    4) There's a great variety in chant:
    Dominus dixit ad me vs. Puer natus est, for example.
    5) It's no wonder some of you think chant is sad: the only chant in most books you've had the chance to use is from the REQUIEM.

That's for starters.

God bless,
    Chris
  • I've been out of circulation, so i didn't see this. I didn't say parents.. I said adults.. Big difference. No one ever caught me telling kids to disrespect their parents. I've worked with young people for years and everyone thinks of me as very traditional and all that.

Please note the use of the word "some" as well...say SOME adults. Also, please note I said work with the pastor. Surprising him: bad idea.
  • I'm 39 and kinda resentful. But I'm more grateful that I get to sing tons of chant all the time.
    I also CONSTANTLY hear from parents that their kids are showering with chant, walking around the house with chant, singing chant in the car... I love it!
    The funniest example I heard was a 12 year old kid who sang Kyrie from Mass XI while practicing Judo. Future choir director?

One motivating factor is to tell kids that many adults don't think kids can sing chant well, that's it's too haaaaaard for them. It's one fairly reliable "focusing tool".
    Every few months I put the ball in their court and remind them, "Ok, you're parents and grandparents will love how you sound no matter what. They'll say, 'what a cute kids choir' even if things are messy, etc. Its up to you, team. You can leave this piece of music where it's at and sound like a cute kids choir, or we can work a little harder and make something really beautiful for God". Often I ask for a vote, and the situation turns into one big team motovating eachother.
    Its not magic, but it works like a charm!
  • MaryAnn--yes, that's the approach I take with the kids. Sometimes when rehearsals get too crazy, I will just walk away and not say anything. Sooner, rather than later, the kids will realize I'm missing and come looking for me saying they really want to learn. Team motivation is the most effective. And, yes, the kids really do want to learn and sing correctly. But, kids will be kids, and we need to make sure they stay focused.