Informed of World-wide Adoration?
  • G
    Can you tell me when and how you found out about this?
    I learned online on last Tuesday or Wednesday, but I am not working for a diocese or parish, so it wasn't as if I needed to prepare for anything.
    My diocese had something up on their webpage as of the twenty-eighth.

But yesterday morning when I opened and skimmed through June's Magnificat, there it was, so obviously the word got out to some people with plenty of lead time.

The precipitous way this seems to have been "sprung" on some parishes was a point of some rancor over at Praytell, so I'm curious as to what was supposed to happen and what did happen.

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Poor Communication in the Catholic Church?

I'm shocked.
  • CharlesW
    Rancor at Pray Tell? Is this possible? LOL.
    Thanked by 2IanW marajoy
  • MHIMHI
    Thanked by 1IanW
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Got a copy forwarded by our retired Monsignor on Thursday. As I read the memo from the "Office of Worship" there were to have been two intentions added to the Universal Prayer. Well, I do those on Mondays, and with graduations, Oklahoma and the magnitude of the feast, 'twere full already. So, prior to the hour, each celebrant improv'd when and how to acknowledge the event and offer the petitions. The response by PiP's- underwhelming.
  • Kathy
    I'm guessing that the Western Hemisphere probably had a difficult time with attendance at this event, simply because of time zones and Sunday Mass.

Asia, Africa, and Europe would all have had an easier go of it, which is nothing to sneeze at.
  • WendiWendi
    I learned about it on May 12th. The music director said he got the word from the diocese a couple of days before he told me. So I'm assuming that the diocese got word earlier so they could put together the planning booklet they sent out.

I'm not sure what attendance was though. I wasn't able to attend because the choir was preparing for Mass during the holy hour.
  • Chrism
    Third week of April. It was not ignored, but there was no special program at our parish.
  • fp
    It's been posted on the Year of Faith website since last October and it was in the USCCB liturgy newsletter last month........in our parish the pastor waited until he got an Email from our Bishop, last wednesday evening, to plan anything......
  • I think I heard about it via the Year of Faith Facebook page sometime in April (https://www.facebook.com/YearofFaith.va) which shows up on my news feed. E-mailed my pastor about it May 1. He agreed to it the following Sunday.
  • canadashcanadash
    We've had it planned for quite a while. I don't know the exact date, but I do believe it was before Easter. I didn't actually realize it was a "world wide" day, but thought our Pastor did this out of his own initiative. My choir was not involved though. I think about 500 attended the hour.
  • tomjaw
    We had planned, long in advance to have choral Vespers (EF) on the 2nd June, we only heard about the Holy Hour a week or so before hand, and this was programmed at the last moment during the week before, it did not make the previous weeks parish newsletter!

In the end we had Holy "Hour" between 4-4.45 followed by the Vespers, it all worked beautifully.
  • CharlesW
    I heard nothing about it until I read it here.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I heard nothing about it until I read it here.

Ditto
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Our Bishop held adoration at the Cathedral, which was advertised on catholic radio for about a week. No mention at the parish level, although one of our regular Masses was concurrent. I would have added the intercessions at Mass, but wasn't aware of them.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Because it's obviously a reactionary conspiracy to resuscitate belief in the Real Presence among the faithful.

It is true that there are enough adoration gainsayers out there, but in fairness I recall when Fr. McBrien of Notre Dame, Inc. barfed up some gratuitous swipes at Eucharistic adoration, many at National Catholic Bird-cage Liner took him to task for it.
  • Ally
    Our diocesan office of worship sent a couple of emails, and I read about it on another site too (can't remember). We had enough time to get it in the bulletin and make an announcement the week before. We did it between the two Sunday Masses, about 25 people. With more notice, I'm sure we would get more.
  • BenBen
    We knew several weeks in advance. Both the bishop and several parishes around did adoration at the same time as francis, and MANY other parishes had it another time this weekend.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Anyone who accuses the Church of a conspiracy of any kind grossly overestimates the organizational skills of her leadership.

To paraphrase...
    "I don't believe in organized religion. That's why I'm a Catholic."
  • MHIMHI
  • CharlesW
    In the east they say, "Orthodoxy - the finest in disorganized religion."
    Thanked by 2IanW CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Adam is adapting an old quip of cowboy humorist Will Rogers: "I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat."
  • We missed the worldwide adoration yesterday by 30 minutes, as our regular Sunday mass schedule is for 11:30. But, we did have a Corpus Christi procession with adoration afterwards, so, although it wasn't exactly at the assigned time, it was close enough, in my opinion.

And, I also found out about it on Facebook through the Year of Faith page.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    @chonak
    I assumed it was so well known, it needed no citation.
  • hartleymartin
    I found out at the homily that day. Being 9 hours ahead of Rome, this would have been at 2am for us here in Sydney.
  • Liam
    It was a poorly thought-through concept that was euthanized by benign neglect in communication.
  • ronkrisman
    It was a poorly thought-through concept that was euthanized by benign neglect in communication.

Perhaps we will never know for sure, but I wonder if Liam's "benign neglect" was in some ways planned. We know the worldwide event was announced a year ago. We know that many people did not hear that initial announcement a year ago. And we know that the Vatican's own press office and information service did next to nothing to drum up publicity for the event subsequent to Benedict's renunciation of the Petrine office. One has to wonder why there was this almost complete neglect by the Vatican.

It's little wonder that dioceses and parishes were caught off guard. Perhaps some who had heard the announcement a year ago were waiting to receive further information from the new papacy.

"G's" initial comment which began this discussion refers to "rancor" by some over at the PrayTell blog site. Personally, I do not see any evidence of rancor. Rather, the comments there are remarkably similar to those on this thread.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I concur with Fr. Krisman's observations. Again, I suppose that receiving an email by the director of the OoW a week prior amounts to "progress." But if Francis wants to clean house at the Curia in all congregations, he'd better get a move on. How difficult could it be for the super-cardinals to locate and borrow a few kid geeks from Google/Apple/MS/FB to design and install direct communication to parishes, much less dioceses?
  • Steve QSteve Q
    I heard it from a member of my choir who observed that it would be occurring at the same time that we would be singing together at 11:15 am mass (EDT). Didn't hear it from the parish at all. I think the diocese put up a last minute note on Facebook.
  • G
    I didn't think "rancor" was an excessive description, but I apologize if it was.

To whit:

"I receive first notice of this three days ago.
    We’re going to throw something today with one week’s notice?
    First of all it’s an insult; it assumes that we are all sitting around waiting for the vatican to tell us what to do."

"It seems like magical thinking to me. "

"And will we get some sort of *special* indulgence for our attendance? Reminds me of the *last gasp* of some final *triumphant church* regalia"

"Honestly, I am tired of Eucharistic adoration “at the point of a gun”: Adoration as a litmus test of who’s a good Catholic and who isn’t. "

"Promoting benediction, rejecting V2–yeah, that’s the way to bring’em back. Give me a bloody break!" (That expression of disapprobation is admittedly second-hand, but it seems endorsed by the Praytell poster.)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!