I Found That Wretched Song
  • expeditus1
    It's one of those days when you find delight in quirky things! Was going through some of my old music books, and found my old S.S. Peter & Paul School music book that we used for Mass, at the time when the "spirit of renewal" swept through the land (and parched everything in its path).

Any "With Skins and Steel" fans out there?! That's the name of this melody edition (w/ guitar) booklet from the World Library of Sacred Music, written by Jack Miffleton. I remember singin' and strummin' these "heady" songs at Mass. I say "heady," because some of the poetic language was too theologically sublime for me to grasp as a child, and also now, as an adult. Example:

CRY ALICE

REFRAIN: Cry Alice! Cry Alice!
    Verse 1: Cry for the years gone, the buried dead, a life pent up, a world confined to yourself. REFRAIN
    Verse 2. Over a dark drink, warming your heart, Cry for the Alice who keeps you apart from your friends. REFRAIN
    Verse 3: Cry for the laughter, the long rose gown, Cry for a world that has carrried you down to the living dead. REFRAIN
    Verse 4: Cry for the past now, Cry for the pain, Cry for a life that was simply a game, and care again. REFRAIN

All these decades later, and I still don't know who "Alice" is! Was Alice the "one that got away on him?" Was the name simply a code word for some dope dereliction? And how exactly did Alice and Christ know one another?

Leafing through this booklet, the song "Well, It's a New Day" caught my eye because of its visually suggestive language:

Verse 1: A man can kill with a knife of steel, with a gun, a bomb or a lance, But there's a New Law, there's a New Law: A man can kill with a glance!
    Verse 4: A sinful man lusts for power and fame, Women, wealth, and wine, But there's a New Law, there's a New Law: A man can lust in his mind."

At least I am now provided with closure, all these years later, because today I found an answer to a question I had been seeking, and which I had posed on Ben Yanke's "Terms to be forever forgotten" discussion here on this forum. Jack Miffleton's "But Then Comes the Morning" is the source of that haunting verse which I sang at our school Masses:

Verse 4: Look in his mother's eyes, Tears for the child in her arms, A few spoons of beans for the day, Rats crawl from holes in the walls, Forgive, Lord, forgive. It was night when we did what we did.
    Thanked by 2Chrism ghmus7
  • Maybe they were thinking Alice from the brady bunch? lol
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The Robots took away his job.
  • expeditus1
    Adam, those robots really confused me as a kid. Try as I did, I just couldn't figure out what Mr. Miffleton was talking about.
  • expeditus1
    ContraBombarde, the Brady Bunch Alice is another possiblity that I had not entertained.

Is it also conceivable that Alice was the wife who had beaten all the life out of him? He did mention that Alice wouldn't let him hang out with his friends, and that he wants to have a dark drink.
  • Kathy
    Remember this one from the original G & P?

I am a man without envy
    No roof and no walls to defend me
    In hope that someday you'll defend me
    And take all my troubles away

Walk with me, talk with me
    Tell me about all the good things you've done
    Stay with me, pray with me
    Leave all your blues in your shoes at the door

I went to school for a long time
    Expecting to stay in a straight line
    Until I discovered that great minds
    Don't move in a straight line at all

I was a child once, I know it
    My mother has pictures to show it
    But she always knew I'd outgrow it
    I guess that's what pictures are for
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • Chrism
    Audio:
    http://kencanedo.com/uploads/KTFB-ChapterTen_JM_20100210.mp3

Epilogue:
    "Jack and his wife own and operate a retirement facility for the elderly where Jack conducts regular sessions in music therapy for the senior residents."
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Audio:

OMG, it's worse than I imagined!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    If I'm remembering correctly, "Alice" was an archetypal painting of a pre-adolescent girl with the saddest eyes that represented the alienation and "unwantedness" that the hippies were "identifying with."
    I used to write lyrics like that. Just be thankful those years have passed, and try not to castigate those of us who truly didn't know better, and certainly meant no harm.
    Jack Miffleton was a friend back in the day, he still lives in Oakland and may be active in parish life there.
    Some of you may fondly also remember a tune he wrote that many might still use today:
    "Lord, let me walk that lonely road with you, at the foot of the cross."
    Not the worst words ever put to pen.
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I used to write lyrics like that.

We forgive you. It was night when you did what you did.
  • CharlesW
    The 'Alice" text sounds like an Irish drinking song. I am about the same age as those who were caught up in the "spirit of renewal." They were mostly self-absorbed d*mn nuts then, and many have gotten even more off-the-beam as the effects of chemicals and age have worsened their mental states. "Lord, let me walk" is awful and it is one that I have consistently refused to program. Mellow Charles, however, has only improved with age. :-)
    Thanked by 2melofluent Gavin
  • expeditus1
    Chrism, that is precisely one of my key objections to electronic restraints being placed on residents and wheelchairs at retirement facilities.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm almost finished with the Russell Shaw book, "...Rise...Decline...Fall of American Catholicism..." wherein he doesn't really address specifics such as these early liberation theology texts coming from Miffleton, Repp, Wise et al (who all had common roots in the seminary at Baltimore.) But, as coming into Catholicism at that crucial time, like Canedo, I remember that many folks, of course in the SF/East Bay, welcomed them into their liturgies as much as dreck like "Pass it on" (Kaiser), and even that was considered dreck then. I think if you'd gone through what some of us in more liberal environs have, you'd draw a greater distinction about what did more harm to the church's liturgical devolution: these temporal social justice lyrics, or the quasi-theological equivilents that came later with folks like Tom Conry? Where do you think GUI came from? Remember, "Anthem" and "Ashes" are still in the books. And if you've never thumbed through Conry lyrics, those are lightweights. And you can thank Oosterhuis/Huijbers and Cesar Chavez as well.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • chonakchonak
    I found a wretched song
    I had been pondering long
    Whose sensibility was street-wise posing
    They had a rough appeal
    Those songs of skins and steel
    A gritty human suffering disclosing

(DOWN AMPNEY)

(feel free to add more verses)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I saw a hymn online
    it was a parody, fine.
    I thought I would add to it, as I'm wont to.
    But, ere I could rhymes lob,
    Hymn-robot stole my job
    Finishing with 9b-8-alpha-Q-2
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • HymnRobot
    I am the hymn robot
    rhyme algorithms I've got.
    Poets will share the fac'try worker's sad fate.
    For none can match my speed,
    just check my output feed.
    I even have a link to Google Translate.
  • Kathy
    Whose sensibility was street-wise posing

Brilliant!
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yes, brilliant indeed, Chonak.
    But, OTOH, I've heard a lot of what boils down to aural "voguing/posing" by cadres and cohorts of insular organists in preludes and postludes that go on for quarter hours while folks are praying or trying to recite adorations. And don't get me started about NPM conventions....
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    ...not even a chuckle... ah well...
  • expeditus1
    Adam, be not discouraged. Don't let publicity levels stymie your poetic passion. The G & P stanzas that Kathy posted above should embolden every one of us to doodle away. Kathy, I take it that these were penned by a tinkerer of the trade? Embarrassingly bad.

melofluent, are they yours? I apologize if these were some of the lyrics that you referenced above as having been written by you during a period predating enlightenment.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Adam, be not discouraged. Don't let publicity levels stymie your poetic passion

it's just... I slave away on these jokes... a lifetime of sweat and tears. All I ask in return is a smile... or a chuckle... a typed out "ROFLcopter". I give so much, and ask for so little...
  • melofluentmelofluent
    My jokes just come to me, Adam....hmmmmm. Try relaxing a bit, take in an EST Seminar, or some Transcendental Meditation, read "HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE." Invest in Tony Robbins' DVD's or downloads.
    Or you can write for OCP. ;-)

Uh, Ex1, heaven's "no!" I've never been NALR/OCP famous, or famous period. Infamous, 'nother story.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Or you can write for OCP. ;-)

No purple ink in pulp hymnals, so I'd be afraid people would think I was serious when I rhyme "peace and justice" with "Jesus just is."
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • Melofluent (Charlie) wrote:
    I've never been NALR/OCP famous, or famous period.
    Charlie, I'm not so sure about that! ("We're among friends" here, right? I do enjoy our "conversations"!)
  • MHIMHI
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm sorry, between you MHI and Adam, when you guys code: "This." I have no idea what that means.
  • MHIMHI
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This.
    That's young adult for "I agree with you wholeheartedly."

That.
  • chonakchonak
    More compactly, it's an equivalent of "Well said."
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    More compactly, it's an equivalent of "Well said."

I've always thought of it as an abbreviation for, "THIS! Read this! Read it right now! This is the right thing! THIS THIS THIS!"
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Got it! You guys are sweet!
  • Kathy
    Got it! You guys are sweet!

Charles, well said! I agree with you wholeheartedly! You can say that twice and mean it :)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • G
    I don't remember the details, but there was a book many middle schoolers were either given to read by trendy parents/teachers, or hidden inside other books from other parents/teachers.
    And can't remember whether the content eliciting the frisson was sex or drugs, but the title "Go Ask Alice" was, IIRC, a reference to Jefferson Starship and Lewis Carroll -- could that be the "Alice"?
    I never read the book.
    Misspent Ute.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Never mind: Alice doesn't live here anymore.
    Thanked by 2Spriggo Chris Allen
  • MHIMHI
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • ghmus7
    I am dumbstruck by the level of intellectual
    and theologilical eruuuudition
    on this forum. I hang my head in utter humility, and shall
    go and read something from the
    Summa (I have to use a translation of course).
  • ghmus7, there's a reason I adopted expeditus, rather than eruditus, as a username. According to wiki, "A scholar is erudite (Latin eruditus) when instruction and reading, followed by digestion and contemplation, have effaced all rudeness (e- (ex-) + rudis), that is to say smoothed away all raw, untrained incivility." Erudite is something I've never been mistaken for. As for mastery of anything intellectual or theological, I can only ride on the backs of other more accomplished people on this forum. In the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson, "It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them."
  • melofluentmelofluent
    It was "Airplane," technically, G, of Surrealistic Pillow.
    But more to the point, I did go and ask Alice what the doormouse said.
    She replied "Feed your head, FEED YOUR HE-EAD!"
    So I googled that and now UPS daily drops off cases of GREAT COURSES DVD's at my door, the summa which has maxxed out my VISA!
    I need a union rep, stat!
  • Melo, maxxing out your Visa to get smart?! Have you not internalized the wisdom of Barry White's, "I've heard people say that too much of anything is not good for you, baby?!"

I'm starting to question whether I am playing in the wrong sandbox. First, I read on the thread about unions, that musicians must develop interpersonal skills. Then, I find out that some of you are buying Big Book DVD's by the caseloads, to feed your heads. I always wondered when I saw that stuff advertised online, "WHO buys that?!" Now I know.

My question is: If something has to give, is it permissible to dispense with being personable and studied, and just revert to being an "arm-flapping, foot-button-pusher," as Adam Wood refers to it?
  • CharlesW
    I have wondered about those courses, too, since some of them look interesting.

• melofluentmelofluent
    I didn't say I actually watch them. I could be a hoarder, or assembling the late 20th century version of the Library of Alexandria. Or just whacked out ala Pavlov's hounds when someone sez "Jefferson Airplane." I like enigmatic transmissions with lotsa horsepower and torque.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My question is: If something has to give, is it permissible to dispense with being personable and studied, and just revert to being an "arm-flapping, foot-button-pusher," as Adam Wood refers to it?

You have to be really good at at least one of those things.
  • Yes, Adam, like if you know that you aren't the whole package deal, and are more of a one-trick pony (hypothetically-speaking, of course).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Easy to work with - Good at what you do - Deliver on time

Pick two.
  • It was "Airplane," technically, G, of Surrealistic Pillow. But more to the point, I did go and ask Alice what the doormouse said. She replied "Feed your head, FEED YOUR HE-EAD!"

Lest anyone think melo isn't making any sense in what he is saying in that post, don't be so hasty. He just might have crackled the riddle of who Alice is. Another poster, G, had also previously made a connection between Jefferson Starship, Lewis Carroll, and Alice. In this thread, we had been trying to unlock the mystery of the identity of this Alice of whom we sang in church. I think that the sleuthing skills of melo and G have unriddled it.

From Wikipedia: "With its enigmatic lyrics, 'White Rabbit' became one of the first songs to sneak drug references past censors on the radio." Oh, the things that you can sneak through in a song, even in church!

I still haven't figured out what the "long rose gown" (verse 3) refers to though.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Cappa Magna? That might be conspiratorial enough for our friends at PTB!
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood expeditus1
  • G
    "Cry for the Alice who keeps you apart from your friends"

Ya know, if Alice is crying for "the Alice," the whole dang thing might be addressed to "the you you hide...."

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1expeditus1