Litany of St John The Baptist
  • Can anyone suggest a setting for the Litany of St John the Baptist ? thanks..
  • Liam
    That would be interesting, because it's not one of the litanies approved for use in public liturgy. (The classic five approved ones are the Litany of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, the Litany of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Litany of Loreto, the Litany of Saints, and the Litany of St Joseph.)
  • well.. our Psator is being installed on that Feast Day .. I thought I could just set it to a chant .. but was hoping for other alternatives.

thanks Liam
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Every website I can find looks like some basement disaster, but the general consensus seems to be that is not for public liturgical use.

The Litany of St. John the Baptist was composed for private use by the Knights of St. John International. (Here.)

The Litany of St. John the Baptist. For Private Use Only. (Here.)

Also, the text has a call-and-response format and mimics various portions of the Mass, which would make it seem (to me) a weird thing to sing during one:

Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.

Christ, have mercy. Christ, have mercy.

Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.

God our Father in heaven, have mercy on us.

God the Son, Redeemer of the world, have mercy on us.

God the Holy Spirit, have mercy on us.

Holy Trinity, one God, have mercy on us.

Holy Mary, pray for us.

St. John the Baptist, pray for us.

Precursor of the Messiah, pray for us.

Noble son of Elizabeth and Zachary, pray for us.

Prophet of the Most High, pray for us.

John, chaste and humble, pray for us.

John, courageous and bold, pray for us.

John, obedient and loyal, pray for us.

John, the least one is greatest, pray for us.

John, challenge of sinners, pray for us.

John, bridge between the Old and New Testaments, pray for us.

Model of the kingdom, pray for us.

Example of austerity, pray for us.

Pattern of poverty, pray for us.

Lover of simplicity, pray for us.

Comfort of the suffering, pray for us.

Hope of the sick, pray for us.

Patron of baptism, pray for us.

Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.

V. God made him herald to the kingdom.

R. And he pointed out the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.

Let us pray.

Almighty God, in your infinite wisdom and love, you chose John the Baptist as precursor for us guiding our souls into the way of eternal salvation.

May we have the help of his prayers in heaven..

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    For some reason, I want to do a tacky progressive version of this...

John, eater of locusts....
    John, mildly schizophrenic...
    John, poorly dressed...
    John, probably sunburned...
  • rollingrj
    Adam, I remind you the Litany of the Saints is used during some Masses (e.g.--Easter Vigil, as part of the rite of Confirmation), so it would not be "a weird thing to sing it during one."

Since it is for private use, Is this a candidate for altus cantus aptus, assuming the rubics allow for some kind of music during this rite?
  • MarkThompson
    I'm not sure what you mean about "mimic[king] various portions of the Mass" -- if you are talking about the Kyrie (six-fold) and Agnus Dei, those are part of all the other litanies as well.

I will say, though, I'm surprised that "John, greatest of all born of woman" was not one of the invocations.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The Litany of the Saints has a specific liturgical function.

I mean that it would be weird (to me) to use a litany such as this as an addition to the liturgy, since it has such a "liturgical" format.
  • MarkThompson
    The format of this litany is precisely identical to the format of, say, the Litany of St. Joseph. (Or do you mean to say that it would be weird to use any litany as an addition to the liturgy? I think I would agree with that.)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Or do you mean to say that it would be weird to use any litany as an addition to the liturgy? I think I would agree with that.

I hadn't thought about the general case, but now that you mention it- yes. I think I would find it weird. It goes beyond adding songs, which is problematic, right to adding ritual, which seems both problematic and (well) weird.
  • Liam
    Well, the regulation of the litanies permitted for public liturgy kinda goes with the regulation of persons who can be included in the Litany of Saints and be portrayed specifically (rather than generically) in art for veneration.

What about good old Ut Queant Laxis as an alius cantus aptus?
  • For over 200 years over 80 different litanies for different saints were used until a certain Pope around 1605 banned all but the one oldest litany of the saints

My only question, as one who believes Popes do not have the ability to ban organic liturgical developmments, is this - were the people using those 80 other litanies in public prayer for a few hundred years bad people? Were their prayers less efficacious?

Why private prayer but not public prayer???? Why are unlimited novenas allowed and all manner of other liturgical prayer but not litanies? Whatever abuse arose of litanies in the late 16th century cant possibly have any relevance for today whatsoever.

The solution is not to ban 80 litanies for local saints and devotions, the Solution is to approve all of them which do not contradict the faith.

I can't find in the teachings of the Church how a Pope can have the authority to ban all but five litanies. I can not believe this is possible.

http://archive.thetablet.co.uk/article/14th-march-1896/21/authorization-of-certain-litanies-to-the-editor-of
    Articles like this can give the Roman Catholic Church the impression of appearing as an overly scrupolous legalistic mess. To curtail authentic growth of liturgy in a fully orthodox manner where it is harmonious and not at all contrary to the faith is unjust.

I hope this matter varying litanies can be revisited in the future and corrected.

Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • tomjaw
    Chris

I thought it was more an effort to have a limited number of approved prayers to be used during Benediction, or other semi-Liturgical function.

We can then have a Benediction manual that is not too big. Also local prayers have been approved and are found in the back of Benediction manuals, the English edition has several prayers not found in say Italian editions.

How many of these 80 Litanies were approved for local use?

Also my understanding of public use, is during Benediction or Liturgical Procession. I am sure that Private use allows the prayer to be said by a group of people in a church.

Our Soldality uses the Litany of the 5 Holy wounds by Bld. J H Newman, as part of our approved prayers.

In the New rite is this really an issue? can we not have any suitable (or even unsuitable) prayer said whenever someone feels it appropriate.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Chris-
    That's how I feel about sequences.

You know how not-quite-heretical Rad Trads feel about Vatican 2?
    Sometimes that's how I feel about Trent.

Just sayin'.
    Thanked by 1Chris_McAvoy
  • I just noticed that this litany does not have the usual "Christ hear us; Christ graciously hear us." And it repeats "have mercy on us" at the "Lamb of God..." part at the end instead of the usual "spare us O Lord" etc. Perhaps this is a very ancient Litany? It follows the Maronite form in the triple "have mercy on us" at the beginning and at the end of it.
  • Liam
    "I can't find in the teachings of the Church how a Pope can have the authority to ban all but five litanies. I can not believe this is possible."

Good luck with that (likely quixotic) fight; liturgical progressives have not exactly found success in having the principle behind it validated canonically. The Pope has the canonical power to regulate the liturgical form and content of the Roman rite. The power is fairly plenary, given the entire thrust of nearly a millennium of juridical centralization since the mid-11th century. And even most traditionalists (but not all) are loathe to criticize the centralizing and rationalizing and modernizing dimensions of the post-Tridentine liturgical reforms.

• Fellow musica sacra members, your views are helpful. Thank you for the reflection.
    It is inspiring to find a sympathetic ear in others. Perhaps in the future, there were will be a reexaminging of the wisdom in the formal ban of litanies, assuming it is still in effect. In the near future I shall inquire of a knowledgeable church hierarch whether this is remains to be.

I do not think that Eucharistic adoration in the same form it took by 20th century, was especially common or popular before the reformation outside specific religious fraterntities/monasteries and corpus christi feast after pentecost. Eucharistic adoration has appeared to me to be greatly magnified in popularity throughout the year in the post-reformation period. I am not understanding how certain litanies are incompatible with "Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament". The concept of Eucharistic adoration is praiseworthy and salvific, but the necessity of visually seeing the Eucharistic host, seems to be an unnecessary sympton of the fight against protestantism heresy. To the extent that the Eucharist is not veiled and is NOT a mystery and discourages traditional church architectural barriers such as rood screens and curtains, it seems to me to be a minor form of abuse. Nevertheless I too participate in eucharistic adoration. The byzantine rite has a eucharistic procession every single Sunday, forever, but it is always veiled in with paten and altar clothes etc..

In the Baroque architecture of the Counter-Reformation the high altar with tabernacle was the focus of the worshippers’ attentions. Churches were built without rood screens in front of the sanctuary, and with as few pillars as possible, in order not to interfere with the congregation’s view of the altar, the elevation, and the monstrance or the tabernacle where the Blessed Sacrament was reserved.

Far from being influenced by Jansenism, before there even was a man named Cornelius Jansen, the Catholic Reformation exalted eucharistic adoration in order to counter the Protestant denial of the Real Presence. Equally important, however, Trent also condemned precisely that highly pessimistic Protestant view of human nature that Jansenism came to embody.
    - See more at: http://www.adoremus.org/1009Hitchcock.html#sthash.p1wDg50A.dpuf

Benediction is often employed as a conclusion to other services, e.g. Vespers, Compline, the Stations of the Cross, etc., but it is also still more generally treated as a rite complete in itself. If
    one sings various vespers for whatever proper of time or saint vespers liturgical calendar falls on, why not related litanies connected to that particular day if such specific connection coincides?

The comparison to sequences is superficially similar, but seemingly irrelevant because Mt. Calvary Anglican Use Catholic Church sings every single medieval sequence used in England for every single feast day that they have cantors at, and they do it well.

I am with you Adam on the sequences, but there was never condemnation of them. (Why else were they still used in various religious orders and dioceses, especially cathedrals, priories/monasteries that continued to use their ancient graduals that were never abrograted into the 19th century).

Sequences became rare not because they were banned from being used, but because they were longer printed in the newer graduals or newer missals. At the most one can say is that they were banned from being printed in most newer graduals. However as I am uncertain any request was made for them to be reprinted, I am uncertain that is even true.

(Dominicans and franciscans did continue to print a few more sequences in some of their missals into the 20th century, as you will see from the Franciscan Graduale Romano Seraphicum. http://media.musicasacra.com/books/graduale_romano_seraphicum.pdf
  • chonakchonak
    While many sequences and litanies were excluded from the liturgy, I wonder if they may yet be acceptable in devotional services: holy hours, times of Exposition, etc.

• tomjaw
    As far as I can tell there are up to 20 Sequences still in Liturgical use (for the EF), this includes the 5 found in the Graduale Romanum 1962. The Benedictines have two Sequences one St. Scholastica and another for St. Benedict. The Dominicans still use the sometime Christmas Sequence Laetabundus, and I think one for St. Dominic. I am sure the other older religious orders also have Sequences. Also certain local feasts also have Sequences (only for use in certain places) At least one can be found in the online Missale Romanum 1957 ed. on the Congregation of Clergy website. I am sure there are a few more.

Of course most Sequences were omitted from the Trent Missal, but of course some of these can be found in approved books such as Cantus Selecti, Antiphonarium Romanum 1949, and the Franciscan book linked above and its companion for Benediction.

There is no problem using any of these former sequences for Benediction, Liturgical Processions, and even during Mass at the Offertory / Communion (after the Proper!). They of course cannot be used as a Sequence in the EF.

I do note that recently choirs were singing these Sequences in the N.O. as the suitable Hymn before the Gospel (what would Bugnini say!).

The problem is with Litanies, only a few are (were?) authorised for PUBLIC Liturgical use, I think this means during Benediction or other public Liturgical ceremony (in the EF). I have not heard of any restrictions for services in the New Rite, and wonder if the classification of Prayers for Public / Private use has been abandoned.

I am sure that most Catholics will not have heard of any Classification of Prayers... not that this is a good way of finding out about Church legislation.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen