Tantum Ergo Plenary Indulgence or not?
  • lmassery
    Hi there - This Corpus Christi there is a plenary indulgence for singing Tantum Ergo, right? My pastor is telling me that the official books are saying it is only a partial. I don't have the latest version of any official handbook of indulgences. In the 1968 version it says plenary. Thanks
  • lmassery
    He says he has the 1999 version.
  • Liam
    Doesn't have to be sung. Can just be recited. The main rule is that it's partial, with plenary provided supplementarily for Holy Thursday and Good Friday. I wonder if the 1999 edition actually changed this one.

http://www.ourladyswarriors.org/indulge/g59.htm
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    That website definitely looks authoritative.
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    This would be good to know. I found the info below in the 1968 version but I haven't found the 1999 Enchiridion on my book shelf yet. Will keep looking.

59. Down in adoration falling
    A partial indulgence is granted to the faithful, who devoutly recite the above strophes. But a plenary indulgence is granted on Holy Thursday and on the feast of Corpus Christi, if they are recited in a solemn manner.

• JulieCollJulieColl
    Bingo! Found it on the Vatican website:

Eucharistica adoratio et processio

§ 1. Plenaria indulgentia conceditur christifideli qui

1°10 Ss.mum Sacramentum visitaverit ad adorandum per dimidiam saltem horam;

2°11 feria V Hebdomadae Sanctae, si in sollemni repositione Ss.mi Sacramenti, post Missam in Cena Domini, strophas Tantum ergo pie recitaverit;

3° sollemni eucharisticae processioni, quae quidem maximi est momenti in sollemnitate Corporis et Sanguinis Christi, sive introrsum in sacris aedibus sive extra ductae, pie interfuerit;

4°12 sollemnem eucharisticum ritum, qui sub exitu eucharistici conventus fieri solet, religiose participaverit.

§ 2. Partialis indulgentia conceditur christifideli qui

1° 13Ss.mum Sacramentum visitaverit ad adorandum;

2° 14ad Iesum in Ss.mo Eucharistiae Sacramento aliquam precem legitime adprobatam effuderit (e.g. rhythmum Adoro te devote, vel precem O sacrum convivium, vel strophas Tantum ergo).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ronkrisman
    Vatican website - now that's authoritative.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Priestboi
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    They could use a redesign for serious, though.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I was going to say. Signed by Villelmus Wakefield S.R.E. Cardinal Baum himself.

P.S. Just for the sake of accuracy, it says a partial indulgence is granted for the singing of the Tantum Ergo, however, you get a plenary indulgence for taking part in the solemn procession on Corpus Christi, so I imagine if you're singing the Tantum Ergo in the procession on Corpus Christi Sunday you get a plenary and a partial indulgence but I would guess that if you have a plenary indulgence already, the partial is redundant, or something like that. : )
  • lmassery
    Well, what does the vatican website say in English and is that the most recent version?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Can't find it in English. I was looking at the Latin.
  • lmassery
    I can't find it in English either
  • MHIMHI
    In summary:
    A plenary indulgence may be gained by the faithful who devoutly take part in a solemn Eucharistic procession (which is of particular importance on the feast of Corpus Christi), conducted either within the church or outside it (cf. Ench. ind. 4a. ed. 7, §1, 3º).