The Church's Eucharistic Doctrine and the Texts of Communion Songs
  • ronkrisman
    [Pardon me if there have been a/some previous discussion(s) of this question. If so, would someone comment on where a similar thread (or threads) may be found.]

In the discussion entitled Corpus Christi Sequence in English? I noted that St. Thomas Aquinas' Latin sequence uses the word "caro" (flesh), which is not used in the Church's dogma defined at the Council of Trent three centuries later. Aquinas' wording has been allowed to stand for the next 450 years.

I'm led to ask about other eucharistic hymns, what are the "rules," if you will, for communion hymns which contain the word "bread"? How do they conform to the Church's eucharistic doctrine, particularly the doctrine of transubstantiation?

Most folks probably would have no problem with biblical titles containing the word "bread" being used in the texts of communion songs, even though the words are going to be sung after the words of consecration have been prayed. So these would probably be acceptable to most people: Bread of Life; Bread come down from heaven; Living Bread; heavenly bread; heavenly food; Bread of Angels, etc.

What about quoting or paraphrasing a passage from one of the letters of Saint Paul: when we eat this bread and drink this cup, we proclaim... Is it OK to sing those words while eating and drinking the Body and Blood of Christ?
    Or this text which joins paraphrases of 1 Cor. 10:16-17 and Eph. 4:4-6: One bread, one body, one Lord of all, one cup of blessing which we bless...
    What about this line from "Gift of Finest Wheat": Do not one cup, one loaf declare our oneness in the Lord?
    What about this line from Sylvia Dunstan's "All Who Hunger": All who hunger, gather gladly; Holy manna is our bread.

I remember hearing some bishops from the United States, at meetings of he USCCB, say that the words "bread" and "wine" should never to included in a communion song. Of course, such statements are over the top and overlook many passages from Scripture.

In Worship IV generally the words "Bread" and "Cup" have been capitalized in communion songs. The text of the refrain to Fr. Liam Lawton's "Where Two or Three Are Gathered" is presented with these capitalizations: Here in the Bread that is broken, here in the Cup that is poured, here in the Word that is spoken: Jesus Christ is Lord!

I think the word "wine" is used only in James Montgomery's "Shepherd of Souls." There the term "heav'nly wine" is uncapitalized.

Is the use of capitalizations (which, of course, cannot be "heard" when the hymns are sung) sufficient in safeguarding Catholic eucharistic doctrine, especially in hymns which talk about "breaking bread" and "drinking the cup"?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Safest thing to do is to draw on existing imagery- either scriptural or in the hymns of the great writers of the past.

The assertion made earlier:
    saying bread becomes Christ's "flesh" is not a correct statement of the Church's doctrine.

baffles me.

It might not be a "complete" statement, but how can it be untrue, exactly? It's the language Jesus uses in John ("whoever eats my flesh").

Perhaps the problem is an American English problem of specificity? Flesh for us might mean specifically skin or meat. I think it can safely be understood (and is so, by the vast majority of Catholics) as "body" - hence, "the flesh is weak," does not mean "my skin breaks open easily" or "the food tastes bad."

As far as referring to the Blessed Sacrament as "bread" or "wine," this (to me) seems primarily an issue of emphasis. It can't be that it is never appropriate to do so, for scripture talks about "the breaking of the bread" and "the cup."

Again, here, we have a problem with American English and our modern insistence on things being specific things. "Bread" is the cooked preparation of wheat flour and other products (and therefore it is not anything else). But do we really think "our daily bread" refers to a loaf of crusty goodness we consume every 24 hours? Do we always mean the literal consumption of glutenous material when we say that we "broke bread" with our friends? Of course not.

We mean food. Bread is food. Flesh is meat, which is also food. And flesh is also the body- the earthly, real, physical essence of Christ. "My flesh is true food," the Lord says- not "my flesh is present where true food used to be present."

This whole thing goes back to the discussion of biblical imagery. If we draw from the Psalms and the Old Testament, we can't help but talk and sing about bread. And a meal. And actual wine. The Lord has "spread a banquet before me, in the sight of my enemies." And Wisdom has "mixed her wine" and "set her table."

And are we to suppose that we shouldn't sing or pray about how the bread of the angels has become the bread of humans? Are we to suppose that the Israelites were confused when they called the manna "bread from heaven?" Are we to divorce the whole point of why our Lord chose bread and wine, of all earthly things, as the sign and symbol of His greatest sacrament?

Of course not.

The problem isn't referring to it as "bread," the problem is referring to it only as bread. (Or wine, or a meal, or whatever).

The examples you cite above are all (to my mind) fine in and of themselves. They become problematic in a context where the language about the True Presence is diminished or absent.

"One bread, one body" is probably not expressly heretical, but it is hardly a complete statement of doctrine. The problem isn't singing this song (and others like it), but ONLY singing this song and others like it.

(You know... in my opinion.)
  • GavinGavin
    Adam's penultimate sentence sums up my view.
  • ronkrisman
    Safest thing to do is to draw on existing imagery- either scriptural or in the hymns of the great writers of the past.

Great hymn writers from the past did not write that many hymns intended for use during the reception of holy communion.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    The song which begins: "Come and eat this living bread, take and drink this wine" has always bothered me. While bread is qualified by "living" there is no such qualifier for wine.

And Adam's point is an excellent one. The same could be said for the prevalence of songs about gathering around a table, sharing a meal, etc. and the lack of songs about sacrifice and moreover the scarcity of modern hymns that are actually addressed to God. Vertical vs. horizontal if you will. That is probably my biggest problem with current "Catholic" hymnals. The occasional horizontal hymn is fine and well, but shouldn't most of our hymns be addressed to God?

How do you justify including a text like Come and Eat this living bread (where bread and wine are not capitalized in Gather III, I might add) and omit the hymn Adoro Te Devote in either Latin or English. That doesn't seem very Catholic to me.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • ronkrisman
    How do you justify including a text like Come and Eat this living bread (where bread and wine are not capitalized in Gather III, I might add) and omit the hymn Adoro Te Devote in either Latin or English.

I had nothing to do either with choosing the contents of or, oftentimes, the text editing of items in Gather 3.

Adoro Te Devote is contained in Worship IV, 556.

I agree with your statement about the need for balance in choosing the hymns used at Mass. I don't believe any hymn can contain the totality of Catholic belief.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I meant "you" in the general sense. Perhaps I should have written, "how does one justify including..."
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • jpal
    I also don't see why "flesh" is inconsistent with the Church's definition...maybe Trent did not use the word, but Jesus did, as Adam mentions. The current Catechism also uses it in the Eucharist section.

[St. Thomas indicates his opinion of the proper and improper ways to refer to the consecrated species as "bread" in Summa III.75.8.
    According to that, he would agree with the statement
    saying bread becomes Christ's "flesh" is not a correct statement of the Church's doctrine

although not for the same reason!]

I don't know that "complete statement of doctrine" is a good test, because who decides what "complete" means? I think the present congregation has to be considered -- is there mostly an accurate understanding of the Eucharist, is there much misunderstanding or blatant denial, or somewhere in between? Whoever is choosing the music must make the judgement.

We don't sing "One Bread, One Body" in my parish since it is not in our hymnal, but if we did sing it, I would be confident that most people would take for granted a proper understanding of the Eucharist, since our priests and catechists do a good job teaching it, and since we are gaining a healthy repertoire of texts that Adam might describe as "complete." However, if your repertoire consists only (or mostly) of texts that a non-liturgical Protestant church would be comfortable with, then you should probably reevaluate.
  • ronkrisman
    Earl_Grey, I understood you perfectly. However, I took it in the personal sense so that I would not have to answer it in the general sense.

It's called "prudence," which is defined as: one never knows who may be reading MS Forum.

Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • Andrew_Malton
    On the whole I'd say it would be better not to sing about the Eucharistic itself during the Communion rite. Better to sing about the great deeds or mercy of God, or the words of Christ. That's what I find in the tradition anyway. Like this Sunday, Let us praise the God of Heaven and acknowledge him before all the living.

On the rare occasions when we do sing about the Communion at communion time, it seems we sing about His Flesh and Blood, as next Thursday or Sunday, Who chews on my Flesh and drinks my Blood, remains in me, and I in him, the Lord says.

Quod laudabilis et gloriosus et superexaltatus in saecula, propter misericordiam.
  • rich_enough
    Yes, this is an example of where the propers of the mass can be a guide to what and how we sing at various points in the mass. The favored chant at communion is not "Hoc corpus," for example (as is sung on Holy Thursday), but rather PS. 33/34, "Gustate et videte."

This is reflected in the General Instruction of the Roman Missal, which states that the purpose of the communion chant is "to express the spiritual union of the communicants by means of the unity of their voices, to show gladness of heart, and to bring out more clearly the “communitarian” character of the procession to receive the Eucharist" (no. 86). It's interesting that the real presence of Christ in the sacrament is not mentioned in connection with the chant - although this obviously underlies everything listed.
  • Kathy
    Hmm. I rather think that "taste and see that the Lord is good" speaks of the Real Presence in a pre-eminent way.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • veromaryveromary
    Reminds me of :
    "O Bread of heaven beneath this veil
    Thou dost my very God conceal..."
    Bread + Real Presence.

Also a local hymnbook changed the chorus of "Jesus, my Lord, my God, my all" from "Sweet Sacrament" to "O God of Love". That sort of thing I don't find helpful.

Hymns have an educational role to play. We need the reminders.
  • rich_enough
    I rather think that "taste and see that the Lord is good" speaks of the Real Presence in a pre-eminent way.

It does, but in an indirect way. My point is that it does not speak of the Eucharist as such (bread and wine, Body and Blood) like so many modern Communion hymns.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    it does not speak of the Eucharist as such (bread and wine, Body and Blood) like so many modern Communion hymns.

True.

What I mean is that, when the Psalm was written, "taste" seemed metaphorical. It was like having the flavor of the Lord's goodness by trusting Him. It made perfect sense, but on a metaphorical level. And now it's quite literal, because He is food.

• MHIMHI