O Christ, Your Heart Compassionate – Text by Herman G. Stuempfle, Jr.
  • ronkrisman
    A few weeks ago on the Forum there was a discussion about the second stanza (“The flower of earthly splendor”) of Michael Perry’s “O God beyond All Praising” (a stanza which, by the way, the author prefers not to be included in his hymn). Yesterday Kathy Pluth’s “Let Easter Alleluias Fill This Place” was discussed. Both hymns have “sacrifice of praise” in their final line. Here’s another, Herman Stuempfle’s “O Christ, Your Heart Compassionate.”

The hymn was published in 2006 by GIA Publications in Dr. Stuempfle’s fourth collection, Wondrous Love Has Called Us! – Hymns, Songs and Carols. With his previous collections published in 1993, 1997, and 2000 this brought his published total at that time to more than 300 hymns. Dr. Stuempfle died in 2007 from ALS complications. Another collection of his hymns is scheduled for publication this summer.

The text was originally paired with the tune RESIGNATION, and has again been paired with it in Worship IV, no. 559. The text appeared in the 2006 Evangelical Lutheran Worship with ELLACOMBE.

Several commenters have asked to see more of Stuempfle's hymn texts. "O Christ, Your Heart Compassionate" is listed as one of three "hymns for the Church year" for the solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. (There are another eight hymns listed in Worship IV's liturgical index as being appropriate for the solemnity.)
    O Christ, Your Heart Compassionate

O Christ, your heart, compassionate,
    Bore ev’ry human pain.
    Its beating was the pulse of God;
    Its breath, God’s vast domain.
    The heart of God, the heart of Christ,
    Combined in perfect rhyme
    To write God’s love in human deeds,
    Eternity in time.

As once you welcomed those cast down
    And healed the sick, the blind,
    So may all bruised and broken lives
    Through us your help still find.
    Lord, join our hearts with those who weep
    That none may weep alone,
    And help us bear another’s pain
    As though it were our own.

O Christ, create new hearts in us
    That beat in time with yours,
    That, joined by faith with your great heart,
    Become Love’s open doors.
    We are your body, risen Christ;
    Our hearts, our hands, we yield
    That through our life and ministry
    Your love may be revealed.

O Love that made the distant stars
    Yet marks the sparrow’s fall,
    Whose arms, stretched wide upon a cross,
    Embrace and bear us all:
    Come, make your Church a servant Church
    That walks your servant ways,
    Whose deeds of love rise up to you,
    A sacrifice of praise!

Text: Herman G. Stuempfle, Jr., 1923-2007, © 2006, GIA Publications, Inc.
    All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission of GIA Publications.
    Tune: RESIGNATION, CDM; Funk’s Compilation of Genuine Church Music, 1932

• Kathy
    Verse 1 is theologically problematic. It is easily read as containing two heresies:1) the perennial Gnostic heresy that equates the Logos or the Holy Spirit with the "world soul," and 2) monothelitism.

In the first instance, the text is ambiguous enough that while it is impossible to know that the author was expressing a heresy, still the text could easily mislead the faithful.

In the case of monothelitism, the hymn is explicitly heretical.

1. In line 4, the hymn says
    Its [i.e. the heart of Christ's] breath, God’s vast domain.

The hymn equates the "breath of the heart of Christ" with God's vast domain, the creation. The "breath of the heart of Christ" can be read in any number of ways. The most natural way would be to read it as the Holy Spirit, the divine pneuma within the Trinity. But in this reading, the Holy Spirit is equal to creation. Another way would be to read the breath as the Logos, in the sense of a created soul attached to and informing creation. This reading makes the Son a creature.
    While other readings are possible--the text is quite ambiguous--the likelihood that people will be misled about Trinitarian doctrine is quite high. Even if it were low, but still present, it would be much better to omit from a hymnal any hymn that can be so easily be misunderstood in this way.

2. In lines 5 and 6, the hymn says
    The heart of God, the heart of Christ,
    Combined in perfect rhyme

As taught by the Church in the Third Council of Constantinople, Christ has two wills, divine and human. He does not have only a human will, a human heart, as the hymn suggests. Christ's heart does not "combine in perfect rhyme" with the heart of God, as though the divine nature and the divine will were extrinsic to Christ. If one were to say, "The divine and human will in the heart of Christ combine in perfect rhyme," that would be ok. But the hymn does not say that. It attributes only one, presumably human heart (since it is distinguished from God's heart) to Christ.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why serious hymn writers should study serious theology.

I feel like I'm pretty savvy in these matters, and all I was going to say was:
    -This seems like good poetry but bad hymnody.
  • ronkrisman
    Kathy, I'm sorry to say, you really need to write your own text and not try to put your words into Stuempfle's text, words which he never used, and with which you then accuse him of heresy.

What a ridiculous argument you have spun.

Would you like to try again, this time discussing only what Herman wrote?
  • Kathy
    Fr. Krisman,

Sorry, you'll have to be more specific. Was there something I added?
  • ronkrisman
    the text is ambiguous enough that while it is impossible to know that the author was expressing a heresy

I, Kathy, will declare that he was.
    As taught by the Church in the Third Council of Constantinople, Christ has two wills, divine and human.

Herman makes no mention or even allusion to the two wills of Christ. This entire paragraph has no basis in the text.
  • Kathy
    I, Kathy, will declare that he was.

No, I did not. I said that whether that section was heretical or not, it can easily be taken that way, and a text so easily misleading ought not to be included in a hymnal.

Herman makes no mention or even allusion to the two wills of Christ. This entire paragraph has no basis in the text.

Fr. Krisman, surely you are aware that in Christian spiritual theology, charity is the movement of the will to love.

If you believe Stuempfle meant something else besides love when he spoke of "the heart of God, the heart of Christ," then you are right: I am reading into the text. Do you think he meant something besides love?
  • ronkrisman
    Do you think he meant something besides love?

No, I do not. I understand "The heart of God, the heart of Christ" as referring to the incarnation, the hypostatic union, the human and divine natures and wills.

Are you reading "the heart of God" as a reference to God the Father?
  • Blaise
    If you sing it fast enough to the tune of ELLACOMBE (I've never heard RESIGNATION), you could gloss over any theological content of whatever sort.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Kathy
  • Kathy
    I understand "The heart of God, the heart of Christ" as referring to the incarnation, the hypostatic union, the human and divine natures and wills.

Fr. Krisman, I just don't know how to help you to understand that the heart of Christ is not solely human.

• ronkrisman
    Fr. Krisman, I just don't know how to help you to understand that the heart of Christ is not solely human.

I understand, Kathy, how tough it is for you. I am so hopelessly stupid, and you so want to help me to understand. But I'm still back at my comment at 4:33 PM: "Are you reading 'the heart of God' as a reference to God the Father?" because I am not. I understand it to refer to the Second Person of the Trinity, the Son of God, the divine Logos, possessing both a divine nature and a divine will. And if you want to anthropomorphize, a divine "heart" as well.
  • Kathy
    Fr. Krisman,

Let's take a step back then.

No, I'm not reading "the heart of God" as a reference to God the Father, but to the Trinity.

The Trinity holds everything in common except their relations of opposition. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit have one mind and heart among them. We often say that about groups, metaphorically, but it's not precisely true of groups. It's precisely true of the Trinity (understanding "heart" and "mind" to be transcendent, and entirely "other" than human hearts and minds, of course).
  • Kathy
    But that is not the problem.

The problem is that Stuempfle says that God's heart, the divine heart, rhymes with Christ's heart. But Christ's heart doesn't rhyme with God's heart, any more than a word can rhyme with itself. Just as it would be equally wrong to say that Christ's heart rhymes with Christ's human nature's heart.
  • ronkrisman
    So, even with your reading that "the heart of God" refers to the blessed Trinity, how is it that Stuempfle's reference to this "heart of the Trinity" (as you understand his actual words - "the heart of God" - to mean) taken together with his next phrase - "the heart of Christ" - constitute a denial of the two "wills" in Christ (which, of course, is never mentioned anywhere in the text)?
  • ronkrisman
    Sorry I did not see your 6:59 comment until after I had sent my 7:13 comment.
  • Kathy
    It's ok. And I'm sorry I didn't spell out a thorough explanation in my initial comment. Sometimes I feel as though I've explained everything but when I look back it looks like I could have said it better from the beginning and avoided misunderstandings.
  • MarkThompson
    I'll just make a few brief comments here. First is that I don't think reading poetic texts as though they were intended to be glosses on Aquinas is generally appropriate or fruitful. In this case, the criticisms do not seem very well aimed. "Its beating was the pulse of God," yes, because Jesus was himself not just very man but very God. "Its breath, God’s vast domain," right, because the breath or wind of God was key in the act of creation (God's domain; see Gen. 1:2), and we know that "through [Christ] all things were made."

All in all, while the hymn contains some things I like (e.g., "create new hearts in us," shades of Ps. 51:10), I find it meandering and unfocused. It exhibits clear poetic flaws, perhaps none greater than "perfect rhyme" -- which could hardly be better calculated to call attention to the fact that rhythm is the right word for what two hearts in sync share, though of course nothing rhymes with rhythm. (Naturally, later in the hymn we get the correct image: "new hearts ... / That beat in time with yours.") There are inscrutable mixed metaphors, of which the worst offender is probably "joined by faith with your great heart, / Become Love’s open doors." You could write an interesting hymn, or at least a stanza, about "doors," but here it is an image completely unmoored from anything else in the entire work.

I also have a grammatical problem with "Lord, join our hearts with those who weep." As written, this asks for a cross-genus joining of hearts with people. What the hymn conceptually demands is for our hearts to be joined with the hearts of people who weep. Unfortunately, this would have to be written "Join our hearts with those of those who weep."

As to the last line, the "sacrifice of praise," again it is very poorly connected to what has gone before. The last stanza is all about service, not praise. I imagine one could argue that service to others is ipso facto a kind of praise of God -- "imitation is the highest form of flattery," you see, so to imitate Christ is itself to praise him -- but this needs to be spelled out, not passed over tacitly. Once more, you could write an interesting stanza to expand upon this idea, but Dr. Stuempfle has not done so. Nor is it really the theme of the hymn, if indeed there is one.

But the most important concrete suggested change I can offer would be this minor revision of the beginning of the last stanza:
    O Love that made the distant stars
    And prized the widow's penny,
    Whose arms, stretched wide upon a cross,
    Embrace and bear us many.
  • Kathy
    If anyone thinks I've been overreacting to Mark's dismissals, this is what I'm talking about:
    I don't think reading poetic texts as though they were intended to be glosses on Aquinas is generally appropriate or fruitful. In this case, the criticisms do not seem very well aimed. "Its beating was the pulse of God," yes, because Jesus was himself not just very man but very God. "Its breath, God’s vast domain," right, because the breath or wind of God was key in the act of creation (God's domain; see Gen. 1:2), and we know that "through [Christ] all things were made."

1. I haven't even commented on one of these passages, so it would be nice if my comments were even read before they were dismissed.
    2. I already said, Mark, that there are other ways to read the "breath" line. But there are really wrong ways to read it, too. I have said all of this.
    3. These are not "poetic texts." They are liturgical texts. St. Thomas presupposes the validity of liturgical texts, and reasons from them. Liturgical texts should be strong enough to be principles of theology, not just "glosses" on theology.
  • MarkThompson
    Overreaction doesn't been to describe it. Only in your mind is every disagreement a "dismissal." As to your points:

1. Although you did not comment directly on "Its beating was the pulse of God," you said that the text "attributes only one, presumably human heart (since it is distinguished from God's heart) to Christ." I disagree: this very third line of the hymn, as I take it, makes it clear that Jesus' heart is God's heart. The beating of his heart was the pulse of God.

2. I just don't think your reading is very natural or very likely. Sorry to "dismiss" you like that.

3. But a hymn is not a liturgical text. Nor does poetry deserve to be parsed and examined in exactly the same way that a dogmatic manual would be -- that is my underlying point. Parsed and examined, yes, but poetic images and metaphors can be allowed to work in ways that might not stand up as factual prose.
  • Kathy
    No, Mark. It's dismissive to mischaracterize someone's argument, and to say that the caricature is not "generally appropriate or fruitful."

It's been my habit to take every interlocutor seriously, but unless you take a step back from this sort of nonsense I'll just get in the habit of glossing over your contributions.
  • Kathy
    Let me just spell this out. Ordinarily when we're talking about something (a text or tune or whatever), everyone says what they think about the text or tune or whatever. I don't mind that. At least, I don't think I've ever said, "Don't be mean to this text or tune or whatever. And don't disagree with me about it." But I don't really remember a lot of times when people have said to others, "Your approach to thinking about this text or tune is not appropriate or fruitful."
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen melofluent
  • MarkThompson
    What can I say? I disagree with the methodology of treating poetic hymn texts (or any other poetry) as though they were supposed to be dogmatic declarations or paragraphs from the catechism. I don't see why anybody should be forced to agree with your methodology any more than with your conclusions (other than on their merits, of course). Applying an excessively literalistic methodology where it does not belong is the same sort of thing that, say, Protestants do when they misinterpret some of the more effusive and rhapsodic expressions of Catholic Marian devotion. Texts should be interpreted not only within the proper context but also within the proper genre of literature. We do not read a Psalm the same way we read a historical narrative from Chronicles or a parable from the Gospel, and we read none of those the same way we read the canons of a Council. I hope that makes it clear what it was that I was not in agreement with.

Incidentally, if you would like an example of something that is dismissive, it is to say that Dr. Stuempfle's text is "explicitly" heretical, when, once one drills down into your remarks, it turns out that you can only support the position that the hymn "suggests" something that is "presumably" heretical. Part of the problem, I would advance, is that you are looking to find "explicit" dogmatic-type statements in a work of poetry that is more likely to contain evocative, metaphorical, and "suggest[ive]" images and phrases.

And if there is any nonsense that anyone should step back from, it is your practice of turning everything into an ad hominem: if someone disagrees with you, it seems not enough to explain and argue your position, you must also accuse him of being "Christologically challenged" or of only holding his viewpoint due to sexism. No one has shown you any disrespect.
  • Kathy
    1. Mark's first paragraph misrepresents my position. I do not think hymn texts should be
    dogmatic declarations or paragraphs from the catechism.

My interpretation of texts is not
    excessively literalistic.

I love imagery, as the hymn I posted last night, and the one I will post today, demonstrate.
    My only requirement is that texts in a Catholic hymnal, intended for use at the Mass, the "source and summit of the Christian life," conform to doctrine, that they do not step outside of the Catholic faith, and that they in fact promote it. The Mass of St. John Chrysostom contains beautiful hymns that we might learn from. They express and explain the faith. They are exuberant, and they are theological. The "genre" of hymns is not poetry, simply. As presented in a hymnal they are intended to be liturgical texts, "other suitable songs," sung at Mass. It actually sets an incredibly low bar to demand that hymns sung at Mass be free from heresy of the kind we as a Church defined in our early centuries in Council.

2 Mark's second paragraph inaccurately says,
    you can only support the position that the hymn "suggests" something that is "presumably" heretical.

The hymn, in its 5th and 6th lines, explicitly represents the heresy of monothelitism. Line 3, like line 4, can be taken in many ways. Lines 5 and 6 cannot be. As I wrote above,
    [According to lines 5 and 6,] God's heart, the divine heart, rhymes with Christ's heart. But Christ's heart doesn't rhyme with God's heart, any more than a word can rhyme with itself. Just as it would be equally wrong to say that Christ's heart rhymes with Christ's human nature's heart.

The text not only fails to account for the Church's understanding of the union of the two natures, it contradicts it. I made two arguments from the beginning: line 4 can be misleading; lines 5 and 6 are explicitly heretical. Neither of these belongs in a hymnal.

3. Mark's third paragraph caricatures me as an interlocutor. I do not have a
    practice of turning everything into an ad hominem:

Fr. Krisman is a public figure who produced a public document that contains Christological errors. I've erased the remark Mark quotes above, but the question remains: Why did that happen?

Mark, you seem like a smart guy, and I usually don't like to ignore smart people--especially when they disagree with me. Sheesh, ask Adam Wood or Jeffrey Tucker or most everyone on this forum. Come to think of it, I've probably even disagreed with Chuck Giffen, though I can't remember him ever being wrong. But since you aren't able to take my arguments for what they are, I'll be tuning you out for the time being.
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • MHIMHI
  • Priestboi
    @MHI

If your heart is breathing, then you have a problem.

Now that is funny, I burst out laughing in the universy computer labs. Thank you for this little bit of humour, needed it on a Monday! :D
    Thanked by 1MHI
  • Kathy wrote:
    Fr. Krisman is a public figure who produced a public document that contains Christological errors.
    Aw, Kathy... just when I thought discussions between you and Ron were bearing fruit...

In all charity and honesty, I really wish you would modify a statement like this with something like "In my opinion."

As for me, in my opinion, lines 5 & 6 of the hymn in question are not heretical. They come across to me as expressing the saying of Jesus, "The Father and I are one" (John 10:30), yet respecting the uniqueness of the relationship between the Father and the Son.
  • ronkrisman
    Fr. Chepponis, I'm doing fine making my way through and around Kathy's mine fields. I've already concluded that it's best not to offer a critique of any of the hymn texts that she posts, even if I detect some glaring flaws, like in the two most recent postings on Saturday and Sunday.

IMO, the Forum is not yet a forum for serious criticism of hymn texts. The quick descent into parody is often a childish effort to hide the fact that the commenter does not possess the knowledge of what goes into making a good hymn text.

Stay happy, my friend. Drink XX, not the poisonous water.

• Heath
    Dear priestly brethren, again, we are very grateful for your presence here on the forum. You've rolled with most of the punches thrown your way here which has garnered the respect of nearly all gathered. But I think it best not to easily dismiss the hymn critiques that have been offered by my colleagues here. We've got some smart folks around here and they've taken the time to respond to your offers for discussion on various texts. Sure, take them all with a grain of salt . . . but if you haven't been learning from these exchanges, I think you've come here in the wrong frame of mind.

Thank you for your priestly service to the Church. A blessed Memorial Day to all!
    Thanked by 1ronkrisman
  • ronkrisman
    Oh, and about Kathy's statement:
    Fr. Krisman is a public figure who produced a public document that contains Christological errors.

I take it that she is referring to the Worship-fourth edition hymnal and service book of GIA Publications and not to the USA's Book of Blessings. If so, here is some information about my contribution to the hymnal. (I do not relish blowing my own horn.)

I was one of five persons who made up the core committee that chose all the hymns in the book. We all had an equal vote (except when it was a matter of one's own text or tune, in which case the creator had no vote).

I was the chair and a member of the five-person English Text Review Committee. Again, my vote was equal to that of the other four members.

I was one of three members of the core committee that scrutinized all the responsorial psalm refrains in the lectionary section of Worship III and decided which ones needed new compositions. (It ended up being 27 in total.)

I spent a number of months preparing the indexes and proofreading every word in them. The liturgical and topical indexes were prepared by the hymnal's general editor and myself. For the index of "Scripture Passages Related to Hymns" I had to study each hymn which was not contained in Worship III and determine the related scriptural passages; it took several weeks.

I had some limited input into matters of musical editing.

Despite my contributions, I think it is the height of hyperbole to say that I "produced" Worship IV.

• ronkrisman
    Good points, Heath.

Yes, I have learned from a number of contributors. I'm sorry for leaving that out. But none of the flaws in hymn texts, IMO, amount to doctrinal errors. If they do, blame the Archdiocese of Chicago censores librorum for not catching them.
  • Kathy
    Fr. Chepponis,

I appreciate your thoughts, your civility, and your ongoing efforts at dialogue. I hope we can continue in that spirit, and at the same time be frank with one another.

Regarding lines 5 and 6 of verse 1, the text does not talk about the Father and Christ. If it did, that would be fine. It talks about God and Christ, as though Christ's will were something separate from God's will. The text clearly individuates God and Christ relative to one another. But we know that according to the early Councils, Christ is both God and man, and the union is such that the Blessed Mother is the Theotokos, the bearer of God. Therefore, Christ's heart does not "rhyme" with God's heart. Christ's heart, according to His divine nature, is God's heart.

If the hymn said that Christ's heart rhymes with the Father's heart, you are right, that would be fine. But it doesn't say that.

Please recall that I did not choose this hymn out of the hundreds in Worship IV in order to find fault with it. Fr. Krisman, the head of the text review committee for this hymnal, offered it for our consideration.

I hope you realize what is at stake in these discussions. Worship is a respected Catholic brandname, and with good reason. I have worked with both the second and third editions: with the third extensively. Although it is not absolutely 100% doctrinally error-free, it comes awfully close. It is worthy of trust.

Worship IV is different. The steep decline in textual quality--the subject of many, but not all, of the forum's parodies--is an artistic problem. It matters. But it is not important in the same way as the loss of doctrinal trustworthiness.

While I understand that the good work of many dedicated people went into this hymnal, surely we all agree that we cannot in good conscience ask pastors to ask their congregations to sing doctrinal error at Mass.

I wish to God that this type of "calling out" of error were not necessary. I don't go into people's private homes or journals and try to find out if they hold doctrinal errors. We can each be mistaken, on our path of salvation. But this is a public document, intended for worship at Mass.
  • Kathy
    Fr. Krisman,

This is a fair point.
    Despite my contributions, I think it is the height of hyperbole to say that I "produced" Worship IV.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Regarding textual criticism:

The problem here is there's no room to budge. The hymnal has been published and won't be revised for another 20 years. Besides that, the authors aren't participating. So there is no room for anyone to say "this doesn't work" and be met with "oh, you're right- let me work on that." The only response can be a sort of defensiveness.

Contrast that to threads where unpublished or in-progress work are under discussion. It's a whole other thing.

Sadly, mainstream publishers (all of them), have no serious attempt at public comment and engagement. The time for figuring out whether one or another texts in Worship IV is good or bad is long since over.

Regarding parody:

All of us who participate in this forum regularly do so in our spare time, largely because we enjoy it. I don't think you can fault anyone for writing a silly verse or two. Particularly when it seems that the fruit of a conversation has run out.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Fr.Ron, perhaps if you can appreciate a yeoman/woman's perspective from a gnarly, battle-scarred veteran of this, PTB and very few other fori- namely, can we acknowledge first and foremost that, in the immortal words of Oakland's own Pointer Sisters, "we are family." We thus are duty bound to love and hate, fight and comfort, wound and heal, each other pretty much all the time, yet until we face a common foe who maybe even has a stake in the fight, but crosses the line into our family business. Then we become one.
    I think there has been, since the start of PTB and the Cafe at relatively the same time, a sort of presumption of PTB having all the Einsteins, and MSF the rest, from artful practicioners to the "Luddites." This has been hurtful to both of our encampments. You have been attacked and wounded, needlessly. But there have been a couple of occasions where your own words have perhaps (please pay attention that I'm not judging it so) have been careened into cyberspace and here that could have been couched more compassionately. You cannot possibly have a personal need to tell all the readership here that this forum isn't ready for "serious discussion" of these issues. It takes more charity to remain and encourage our knowledge, skills and ability to dialogue with all comers; Christ managed to do so, in every instance quite handily.
    Both you and Fr. Jim have labored longer and further than any other voices representing whatever hermeneutic (how I'm beginning to dislike that word!) y'all champion.
    I'm not going much out on a limb to say that many of my CMAA colleagues and even friends know me to be intellectually deficient to play in the eccleisial/theological/liturgical Majors and some have disavowed association with me out of that convenient realization. And you know I've taken my stripes at PTB. But we can't stay in these separate sandboxes playing with only our chosen few, occasionally looking over at each other wondering who's having more fun or success.
    I just hope you save some time and bandwidth for us over here at MSF.
    Blesssings,
    Charles Culbreth
  • ronkrisman
    All excellent points, Adam.

Thank you.
  • ronkrisman
    Thank you too, Charles.

On the matter of ecclesiastical approval of hymn texts, I perhaps am on the same wave length as many here at the Forum. The present procedure which has the bishops of the dioceses in which hymns/hymnals are published giving an ecclesiastical approval which states that "permission to publish is an official declaration of ecclesiastical authority that the material is free from doctrinal and moral error" becomes somewhat questionable, IMO, when one bishop allows something to be included in a hymnal published in his diocese while another bishop does not allow it in a hymnal published in his! That has one bishop stating that the questionable item is free from doctrinal and moral error, while the other is saying the opposite!

We may wish that the entire conference of bishops were able to exercise such magisterial authority as to be able to state that certain material (a hymn, for example) is "free from doctrinal and moral error" but the Church's current teaching about the authority of conferences of bishops does not easily allow that. There is no collegial teaching authority to state that something is free from doctrinal and moral error unless every bishop in the college agrees.

[Later additions: I do not presume that PTB has all the Einsteins, and MSF the rest. Never have. That having been said, the plural of "forum" is "fora."]
  • MarkThompson
    The text clearly individuates God and Christ relative to one another.

"I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, ..."

Christ's heart, according to His divine nature, is God's heart.

"Its beating was the pulse of God; ..."
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Ouch! My German's somewhat better! I'm not dead yet...
  • Adam, to two of your points let me offer
    Sadly, mainstream publishers (all of them), have no serious attempt at public comment and engagement.
    This appears to be the case, and I agree it's sad.

The time for figuring out whether one or another texts in Worship IV is good or bad is long since over.
    I vigorously disagree.
    The merit in discussing these things lies in demonstrating whether published hymnals should be purchased, renewed, and/or used in Catholic sacred liturgy. It's empowering for musicians to come in contact with more than glowing reviews by peers and promotional/commercial materials. It's further encouraging and freeing for musicians to be able to present those they serve with open-source options of sacred music and devotional hymnody they deem to be suited to their parish life.
    Pastors, committee members, musicians, and other faithful are realizing they have diverse ways of building and updating their music program. And that's a good thing.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Sadly, mainstream publishers (all of them), have no serious attempt at public comment and engagement

Wonder how that might look? Given the sometimes ferocious engagement one experiences in these hymn threads, I would be curious.....
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    MACW:
    I agree with you. My point was just that it can do nothing to help Worship IV itself.
  • Got it, Adam. :)
    I hope you'll be at Colloquium?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I hope you'll be at Colloquium?

Sadly, no. See the last few verses of my Colloquium Scholarship Application.