Easy Motets/Anthems to the Holy Spirit?
  • hartleymartin
    Will be doing a Votive mass of the Holy Spirit in a couple of months time. Any suggestions for an easy motet or anthem?

At the moment I'm going with Franz Xaver Witt's "Ad Te Levavi"

A rough translation:

"To you, I have lifted up my soul. O my God, in you I trust. Do not let me be ashamed nor let my enemies laugh at me. Do not let those who trust in you be confounded."

Not specifically to the Holy Spirit, but certainly a text of petition.
  • Protasius
    There are plenty of Veni creator settings, which would be appropriate. Which voicing has your choir?
  • hartleymartin
    Which voicing has your choir?

I'd like to know that myself! I think it will be SATB.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Try the Proulx SAB arrangemento (GIA) of Binchois' VCS which is alternatim with the chant and (IIRC) a fauxbourdon.
  • rich_enough
    Here are some I've found on CPDL:

Confirma hoc Deus – Jacob Handl
    Veni Creator – Asola
    Veni Creator – Josquin des Pres - attached (adapted from Ave Maria . . . virgo serena)
    Veni Creator – Michael Praetorius
    Veni Sancte Spiritus – Allegri
  • hartleymartin
    Thanks for the suggestions, they've been interesting to look at. However, I've had to take a closer look at what my choristers are likely to know. I think that I've settled on having either the Witt "Ad Te Levavi" and/or the Tallis "If Ye Love Me" ready to go, since most singers should know that.

Tallis:
    "If Ye love me, keep My commandments and I will pray the Father and He will send you another comforter that He may bide with you forever in the Spirit of Truth."

Seems like a suitable text, even if not the idea one. Would have loved to use a setting of the Veni Creator Spiritus.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Hartley, thanks for mentioning the Witt piece. I'll definitely add that one to the file. It looks like a very useful piece.
  • hartleymartin
    The Witt is the offertory antiphon for Advent I and Ordinary Time XV in the Ordinary Form. It can be a little short, if incense is being used. The 1935 Offertoriale has the Psalm Verses that you add to it. So that you would sing the Witt, the Psalm Verses (using an appropriate Psalm Tone) then repeat the Witt, rather in the manner of an antiphon.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Sounds very cool. Thank you so much!