Vatican II Hymnal SATB Hymns
  • martindavu
    To whomever it may concern,

I just received my copy of the Vatican II Hymnal. It looks beautifully done.

Are there practice resources for the hymns and the SATB parts for the hymns? I'm in a position to direct a choral group, but I cannot read music, making it difficult for me to either sing or coordinate the SATB parts.

Any response to this would be much appreciated. Perhaps CCWatershed can upload practice videos like it has for Motecta Trium Vocum! http://www.ccwatershed.org/motecta/

Fiat

Martin
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I don't know of any such resources for the Vatican II Hymnal, but I agree with you that Corpus Christi Watershed's practice videos are of great help. If I'm not mistaken, Matthew Curtis also runs choraltracks.com which has a large number of choral pieces with recordings of each part.

You might also check out Choir Part's YouTube Channel which does something similar.

I'm very impressed with the state-of-the-art website of the Association Sacra Musica in Belgium which has a large number of pdfs available for free download with free mp3's of each part.

CPDL.org is also an excellent resource for free pdfs of scores with texts, translations and mp3's of copyright-free choral music.
    Thanked by 2martindavu CHGiffen
  • martindavu
    Julie,

Thank you kindly for these resources. I'll be sure to check them out.
  • jpal
    martindavu (and anyone else),

If you need resources for a particular hymn, email Jeff directly. If he possibly has the time, he will get you what you need. His hymns are engraved in Sibelius, and it is not difficult to generate audio files like you need, but it does take time to do so many and post them on the web site.

I have in the past asked Jeff for things needed -- such as a transposition of a hymn -- and he has always gotten me what I needed.

On the other hand, keep in mind that he basically operates everything himself and also has a young family. ;-) But it never hurts to ask.
    Thanked by 1veromary
  • rich_enough
    Is this part of what you're looking for (SATB parts for hymns)?

http://www.ccwatershed.org/vatican/
  • martindavu
    Thank you. I'm looking for practice videos for the SATB parts which aren't yet available, but I emailed Jeff and he did say, "Our website doesn't have practice videos for the hymns, because we thought most folks would be familiar with the hymns, but GOD WILLING we will add this in the future!"