Veni Creator Spiritus for High School Confirmation?
  • Situation: For many reasons, but most importantly, to begin our Parish's move forward towards Sacred Gregorian Chant . . . our Confirmation Program will teach "Veni Creator Spiritus" to our Confirmandi to be sung at their Rite of Confirmation.

Questions:
    * What role has it played in Confirmation? Did it even have a special role?
    * We assume that it as an almost essential part of the Rite of Confirmation for centuries, that is, until the reforms after Vatican II. Is this correct? If not, when did fall out of favor with most churches?
    * Finally, can we make this statement: "Most Saints (including X, Y, Z) had this sung at his/her Confirmation!" (names of Saints from 11th century on)? Is this characterization correct? If so, we will follow up with: "And starting now, YOUR son/daughter will have this sung at his/her Confirmation too!"
    * Any other anecdotes?
    * Any other resources?

For these groups, this song is a powerful connection to our rich Tradition, and an important first step towards Sacred Music.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    You can make that statement.
  • May I, humbly, suggest some minor surgery on the sentence 'Most Saints....had this sung at his/her Confirmation,!', correcting it to 'Most Saints...had this sung at their Confirmations!'. This brings 'Saints', the pronoun 'their', and 'Confirmations' all into agreement in number. It is becoming all but amusingly common nowadays to use subjects, pronouns and verbs which do not agree with each other in the same sentence; usually in a silly effort to avoid (heaven forbid!) those awful 'gender-specific'
    pronouns.

I admire your use of Veni Creator Spiritus for this occasion. It is anciently proper to Terce of Whitsun-week, proper to ordinations, and proper to confirmations. I have also used it at weddings and other occasions when the Holy Spirit's invocation seems particulary appropriate. Vatican II, of course, did nothing to alter its priviledged status at such feasts; but, rather, the liturgical Jacobins, having successfully brought off their coup, threw it out the window with so much else, with the result that we now have two generations of Catholics who are illiterate of their Catholic musical heritage. God be with you in your efforts (dare I say, your ministry?).
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • G
    May I congratulate your confirmandi?
    Ours have to make do with "Send Down the Fire"....

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • In the old Pontifical the only chant prescribed for Confirmations was the Antiphon «Confirma hoc Deus» (see e.g. p. 1844 of the 1961 Liber Usualis; in Google Books you can find several editions of the old pontifical). Hymn Veni Creator was NOT prescribed for confirmations.

It had other roles in the liturgy. 1) It was sung at the Divine Office at Pentecost. 2) It was sung when presbyters were ordained. 3) It was sung when bishops were consecrated. 4) At the Sarum Rite, the prest said the hymn while vesting for Mass (rather than saying the prayers of the Roman Rite).

This said, I do agree that it is a fine hymn for confirmations. In my former parish in Lisbon, Portugal, the choir sang it many times in such ocasions, with organ interludes to stretch it for the time necessary.
  • Absolutely use the plainchant "Veni Creator.." at confirmation! Been doing it for decades.
    Regarding your other concern, are you referring to the Litany of Saints and the invocation of patron saints' names?
  • This is definitely an excellent chant for Confirmation. Might I also add that this was also the chant used as the cardinals processed their way from St. Peter's Basilica to the Sistene Chapel for the conclave that elected Pope Benedict XVI.
  • Dear "a1437053,"

Under an older thread on this site you will find: "Management of Music Programs: "Compromise" Music for Confirmation Mass."

There I made available all the music indications in the new Rite of Confirmation.

"dvalerio" is correct: The Veni Creator Spiritus was not used in the old rite of confirmation.

In the new rite of ordination it is not used in the ordination of presbyters but only in the ordination of bishops.

All this said, the Veni Creator Spiritus is a good choice for use in the Rite of Confirmation.

But I highly recommend the singing of the Litany of the Saints, adding the baptismal and confirmational names of the confirmandi in the proper places.

Blessings,
    Paul
  • incantuincantu
    M. Jackson,

To paraphrase Ned Rorem's quip to a print journalist: you are allowed one semicolon per day, not two per comment.
    Here's mine ;)
  • Paul Ford - Thanks for the suggestion of adding the names of the confirmandi to the Litany of the Saints! Never thought of that one but will be sure to suggest it to the DM here.

I was quite surprised last year to note that more than half of the kids did not select a patron. That was one of the biggest concerns back when I was confirmed.
  • priorstf wrote:
    I was quite surprised last year to note that more than half of the kids did not select a patron. That was one of the biggest concerns back when I was confirmed.

I am always blown away by the number of people I meet who don’t remember their confirmation saint.

I mean, ok, I guess the apostles didn’t have confirmation saints, but still...why get rid of this tradition??
  • It might soften the initial blow to the confirmandi if you sing it in English and in Latin:
    http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Hymni/VeniCreator.html

I know I have another translation, but it doesn’t occur to me presently....
  • Here it is....except apparently this forum software expects application/pdf MIME type files to have .rar filename extensions....??

Aristotle??
  • G
    Traditionally, (that means for the past 7 or 8 years, I guess,) our parish has used the Becker Litany with the confirmandi patrons names inserted (may I add, what a pain in the assonance that is for whoever makes up the choir music packets, with the Becker?)
    It does make a decent processional, though. The only music with any solemnity the entire evening.

• chonakchonak
    By the way, G, if the Becker litany you're using includes "Hippolytus and Origen", please remember to replace Origen with some Church Father who actually is venerated as a saint.
  • * M. Jackson Osborn: Duly noted grammatical surgery. I'm an English teacher by profession, I must admit, I am a little embarrassed! Please proofread/revise below.
    * dvalerio & Paul F. Ford: Thank you for clarifying this issue for us. My "speech" about this song will change (see below) per your instruction!
    * G: Similar situation at my parish. Our Confirmandi have been subjected to a "Holy Spirit" song that, albeit cute, was written by the former Coordinator. Pray for us as we battle this "parish tradition"! =)
    * Charles in CenCA: GREAT SUGGESTION! Last year (my first as Coordinator), we encouraged ending our nightly prayers with a small litany. Now, with this suggestion, we can culminate with a GRAND litany of saints! (Personal side note: The first time my wife and I heard an ancient Litany of Saints, was in the Vatican, in latin, ending in "Ora pro eo" . . . for Pope John Paul II.)"

My only question now is: "From when does the 'Confirma Hoc Deus' date? Any more info?" I found it in the Graduale, but nay more info would be great!

* TO ALL: Thank you for responding and helping me bring this CORRECT information to our parish. This is my new DRAFT script/blurb. Please feel free to comment/critize all points therein.

"For over a thousand years, the Antiphon 'Confirma Hoc Deus' was chanted at Confirmations of most Catholic Saints! (Also at Pentecost every year.) The tradition will continue as we will chant this at our Confirmation ceremony this year!"

"Secondly, the hymn, 'Veni Creator Spiritus', is also very ancient. It is sung
    1. at the Divine Office at Pentecost.
    2. when priests (presbyters) were ordained in the Old Rite.
    3. when bishops are consecrated in the Old and New Rite.
    4. used as the cardinals processed their way from St. Peter's Basilica to the Sistene Chapel for the conclave that elected Pope Benedict XVI.

***We will be singing/chanting, (I hope)
    • "Confirma Hoc Deus",
    • "Veni Creator Spiritus",
    • Kyrie, Agnus Dei (both "Jubilate Deo")
    • Perhaps the Litany of Saints (even if we don't sing at Confirmation, this idea will permeate our Program)

José
  • TO ALL, Please review this thread: http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=266&page=1#Item_22

AND DOWLOAD this document provided by Paul F. Ford, I'm afraid it was overlooked in the other thread: http://musicasacra.com/forum/?PostBackAction=Download&AttachmentID=16
  • I received a comment from our Bishop's office saying you are not supposed to do the Litany of the Saints at Confirmation. Is that correct? We have not done it the past two years.

For our church we've done a mixture of music: hymns (Come Holy Ghost, Breathe on Me Breath of God), chant (Veni), and 'spirit' choral music as preludes, etc. One contemporary choral work that teens seem to like: "Many Gifts, One Spirit" by Allen Pote. A bit cheesy, but it quiets the contemporary folks. Although the text, "blend the colors of each soul into the beauty of a rainbow...." (no comment.)
    Also, check out "Gracious Spirit, Holy Ghost" by Archer or "Litany to the Holy Spirit" by Hurford.
  • Pipesnposaune, what diocese is this, may I ask?

Your bishop's office is correct in saying that the Litany of the Saints is not an official part of the Ritual Mass of Confirmation.

But that is a very different thing from forbidding its use in the Ritual Mass of Confirmation.

Liturgical law is subject to a broad interpretation (“stretches the meaning of the text to allow the most favorable interpretation without going beyond the meaning of the law” except “where the values underlying the law would be harmed”) in its (1) legal, historical, theological, and cultural context, (2) immediate context, (3) relations within the same book or rite, and (4) relation to other similar books and rites.

See (1) Francis G. Morrisey, “Papal and Curial Pronouncements: Their Canonical Significance in Light of the 1983 Code of Canon Law” (The Jurist 50 [1990] 102–125), (2) Ladislas Orsy, “The Interpreter and His Art” (The Jurist 40 [1980] 27–56), (3) John Huels, “The Interpretation of Liturgical Law,” One Table, Many Laws (Collegeville: Liturgical, 1986), 17–36, (4) John Huels, Liturgical Law: An Introduction (Washington: Pastoral, 1987), and (5) John Huels, Liturgy and Law: Liturgical Law in the System of Roman Catholic Canon Law (Quebec: Wilson & Lafleur, 2006).

The canonical principle is: odiosa restringenda, favorabilia amplianda: "favorable understandings are amplified (favorabilia amplianda), harmful ones narrowed (odiosa restringenda)."

Baptism and Eucharist are two of the sacraments of initiation. The Litany of the Saints is required at Baptisms. The Litany of the Saints can be sung at Eucharist and must be sung at the Easter Vigil even if there is no one being initiated. Therefore, the Litany of the Saints can be sung at Confirmation.

Blessings,
    Paul
  • Yes, Todd, but the revised Rite of Ordination of Priests was promulgated in November 2002 and has become normative since. This is not to say that it could not be sung but that it is not now part of the revised Rite of Ordination of Priests.
  • G
    By the way, G, if the Becker litany you're using includes "Hippolytus and Origen", please remember to replace Origen with some Church Father who actually is venerated as a saint.

Oh, never fear ... I actually thought when I came on board that the illicitness of venerating Origen, MLK, Gandhi, the late lovable janitor, whomever, was my ace in the hole for objecting to parish practice, and that we could make the Sacramentary Litany the default, at least for ceremonies that prescribed the use of it.
    No such luck, the Becker is almost as beloved by TPTB as Let There be Peace On Earth.

• incantuincantu
    Don't forget "Peter, Paul, and Mary Andrew."
  • chonakchonak
    The Becker litany goes well with a relaxed cha-cha rhythm.
  • G
    The Becker litany goes well with a relaxed cha-cha rhythm.

Doesn't everything?

• Paul- Syracuse, NY diocese. Thanks for the insight!

As far as the Becker litany: don't forget the candidates can add Kodaly instruments for participation. ;)
  • CharlesW
    We've been spammed! NPM must be behind it. ;-)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    For the last several years we've used a little piece I've spliced together. We sing verse 1 of the Veni Creator as a refrain sung by all (congregation, those being confirmed, etc...) while the choir sings verses of the chant Magnificat in English (as found in the Pius X Hymnal) in between each refrain. My idea behind it, which caused it to actually be embraced by their "teachers" (who normally would be terrified of any Latin) was explaining that it was asking for the Holy Spirit's descent at the same time as talking about their mission as servants - like Mary... and that though the "refrain" was in Latin, the "verses" were in English.

We'll probably do this again this year.
  • The last time I used the trad chant for Litany of the Saints I was attacked in the Sacristy vebally. I was asked where did I get such an ugly thing and why had I not had the cantor use the Becker!! This was Easter Vigil, after having knocked ourselves out doing bilingual Psalms, Brass, full choir etc etc. And that was the only comment I got . So disheartening.

Donna
  • What was the Litany used at the wyd in Denver with JPII ?

My confirmation around 1965 had apx 500 confirmandi. Confirmation was not celebrated in the context of Mass. Parents were not allowed to attend. We sang "Ecce Sacerdos." and benediction hymns, nothing else.
    Liturgically we were cutting -edge, so we did not wear robes.
    The pro & re -cessionals were "Pontifical March" and "SIlver Trumpets"- these were the only marches permitted by our pastor.
  • Ralph, The funny thing is that all of the new priests ordained here in the last five years have requested in trad chant! LOL
    Donna
  • Donna: is the Becker Litany the one mentioning Ghandi, Martin Luther King, and maybe Princess Di? But the other which I vaguely remember is from the World Youth Day in Denver. I notated ed it at the time, but the texts were too complex to capture completely.The texts had brief descriptions or subtitles of each saint often quotations from the orations of the saint's Mass. It reminded me of Taize but with a less metered tempo. It had a continental sound, like the Polish chant tones. Does any remember this?
  • Ralph - The Becker one isn't QUITE that bad ... I think it may mention one or two who aren't Saints, but it doesn't go overboard. The Bernadette Farrel "Saints of God in Glory" is the one that mentions MLK, Ghandi, et al.

The World Youth Day one WAS the Becker, but they accompanied it on the organ and maybe even rewrote it a bit.
  • I myself have no big objection to the Becker- a little schmaltzy, but compared to other stuff I hear not bad., It just ticks me off that a priest and an usher would fell free to chew me out for using the traditional music of the church. Heck, I'm not even Roman and I can hear the beauty of it- why can't they? I swear there is nothing more spinetingling and goosebump inspiring and spriritually moving than hearing everyone in the church singing in unison
    "All you Holy men and women pray for me." It is like worshiping in one of the old churches in Europe where 1000's have knelt before you. You feel their ghosts all around you.

Donna
  • CharlesW
    In my current job, I followed a predecessor who was the queen of schmaltz. I am stuck with the Becker, and a dear soprano who has sung it every year for a long time. It would cause widespread choir revolt to get rid of it, although I don't think the congregation would miss it. That never stops me from making fun of it. ;-)

St. Bufordina, pray for us
    St. Elga Hortense, pray for us...
  • Claire H
    If the Litany of Saints is done at Confirmation, when is it sung in the Liturgy?