Questions @ the Ite Missa Est
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me if there are any guidelines for choosing a setting for the Ite Missa Est when a polyphonic mass is sung at an EF Latin Mass. (We're working on Michael Haller's Missa Prima and wondered which Ite Missa Est should be used with it.)

Also, there is a really beautiful Ite Missa Est on this video of Saint-Eugene-Saint-Cecile Church at Paris (from the 2:25 minute mark to 3:00) which I don't recognize and which doesn't appear to be in the Kyriale from what I can tell. Hope some knowledgeable person can tell me what it is. You can't hear the priest very well, but the choir's "Deo Gratias" is magnificent, in my humble opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T91fLjlgO-0
  • Protasius
    You can choose in principle every Ite you like, but it would be fitting to use one from a chant Mass that would have been fitting. You could use the Mass setting you used for the Gloria intonation.

If you don't find some chant from a french video in the Kyriale, it's likely to be composed by Henry du Mont.
  • BenBen
    Is it just me, or the Ite considered more of a dialog than an ordinary chant in the OF?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    All the dialogs are (technically) a part of the Ordinary.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Bingo, Protasius! It is indeed from Du Mont's Messe Royale. In fact, thanks to an earlier post by you, I found the notation at jeandelalande.org.

Thanks also for the guidelines about the Ite missa est. I very much like the idea of using the Mass setting that is used for the Gloria intonation. ( Actually, one of our celebrants uses the same all-purpose intonations for every mass setting we sing so it's not an issue there, but the other celebrants are more open to learning different settings.)

LOL, Ben, @ the Ite in the OF. That's when one priest I know recaps his sermon or cracks a joke, and another makes announcements about the bake sale or predicts who's going to win the playoffs, etc. : )
  • BenBen
    Adam, yes, I know, I was mainly talking about the emphasis of the new books vs the older books, not a technical question.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Oops. I mistook the meaning of "dialog" in your comment, Ben. Sorry about that.
  • expeditus1
    I had posed this question in a previous thread: Does anyone have the organ accompaniment for Du Mont's Messe Royale?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Expeditus, I'm looking for it, too, and it's available for purchase from a European website. The publisher is Durand. The link is here to the catalog but I'm not sure how to proceed since I've never bought anything overseas online before.

I've also made inquiries with the church of Saint-Eugene-Saint-Cecile in Paris since that's where the video is from and also with the Association Sacra Musica in Belgium since they have the chant notation of the mass on their website. If I hear back from them, I'll be sure to let you know.