Interviewing-Negotiating from a Position of Strength
  • Background: I am employed by two Catholic institutions in the central part of the USA. Approx 35 hrs at one and approx 15 hrs at the other. I am very fortunate to make 100% of my moderately comfortable living from music.

A parish which has never had an official music director before has created a FT DLM position and asked me to apply. I am pretty satisfied with my current employment situation, but I sent them my materials. They have now asked me to interview via a teleconference.

I've never interviewed for a job before when I didn't really need a job. How to play this?

I feel like, if I am offered the job, I am unlikely be offered a comparable salary to what I make now--how to negotiate this? Most of the reason I am considering it in the first place is that I spent some time in the parish as a youth and it is approx 250 miles closer to my family than I am now.
  • Kathy
    One thing not to do (and I don't think you are, but just as general advice) is to get a new offer in order to leverage your salary in your old situation. It's been said here, and I think it's a credible line to take, that this unsettles your old situation and it suddenly becomes temporary. I would take this even farther. If your current employer(s) should find out about the interview and offer you a raise to stay, don't accept it. Being comfortable and satisfied and well paid is really rare in this profession and I wouldn't jeopardize that if I were you.

Similarly, I would be careful about stepping into a new situation where the parish is not used to paying a DLM. How stable is that situation? Did the pastor initiate the new position? Is he going to be there for some time? Are you answerable to a parish council or finance council or business manager in the new position? Are they going to be supportive?

All that said, it doesn't seem to me to be a bad idea to interview and shine and see if it's the right move, particularly considering your family location.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Everything Kathy said above is spot on. I would add, take and spend some time in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament, just listening and meditating on the Word. Many times when I was unsure of a change like this, I took time to pray about it before making or not making a change. If you feel that you are being pulled to the position, and that the pull doesn't seem to be your own, then you may have your answer. I have been in the same situation you were at one time, and applied for a job that I didn't really need, had no expectation of getting it nor wanted it really, but felt inside that I was being compelled and drawn to it aside from my own desires. It turned out to be the best 4 years I ever spent serving that parish.

The other cautions that Kathy mentioned couldn't be more spot on. You have to analyze your situation. Are you happy where you are at? Do you feel like where you are now, might not be stable or may have undesirable changes in the near future? Other things to consider are, does this new position you are applying for, match up with your current feelings on theology and desires in music? Many times these parishes want a musician that is the "everything" to "everyone." Meaning they are requiring an eclectic or diverse musician that will not just do chant and tradition but that will extend into the rocknroll Masses. Can you handle doing those things?

I would certainly do my due diligence, basically a background check on the church. What have they done previously? Where are they going? Is the pastor long term? Who you report to? Who has authority over you in decisions? As Kathy suggested, many times these churches that are all of a sudden deciding to put a full time DLM, are going to go through a few directors till they feel they have found the right match. If you do interview, make sure you can and are willing to accept and deal with all the nuances that might head your way. As for pay, this is always hard to negotiate. They may negotiate, but then with that, their expectations are going to go flying high, and if you miss just a few of their expectations, it could mean they will be moving in another direction quickly. Especially if they are spending lots of money to have you there.

All in all, spend time praying on it. If it is to be, and meant to be, it will happen. Just follow the direction the Lord is pulling you in!

God Bless You in your journey!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Take your decision before the Blessed Sacrament and ask for pure discernment on this. If it feels right in your heart, mind and soul, it's the right move. If there is any doubt, I would definitely rethink it. But, having said this, there's nothing wrong with interviewing and checking it out. Kathy and Contra are right on with their suggestions. It's a hard call in any case. Good luck and prayers going your way.