Gregorian earworm?
  • Andrew_Malton
    I maintain that Gregorian melodies can't get annoyingly stuck in your head. My discussion partner says it should be possible. Neither of us has ever had the experience, though.

Anyone?
  • rogue63
    All. The. Time.

Do you regularly rehearse or sing the Gregorian propers? My weekly schola rehearsal keeps the stuff in my ears, and the "playlist" in my head rotates---sometimes Jesu dulcis memoria, sometimes the Alleluia for Easter Sunday, sometimes the Gaudeamus for All Saints----the list keeps going. It's a pleasant earworm (sort of) but the annoyance factor creeps in when I open mouth to say something and out comes "Jubilate Deo omnis terra!"--straight off the Epiphanytide playlist!
  • BenBen
    Yep. I had the easter sequence in my head for a while , now it's the first line of sacerdos et pontifex.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Lately its been one of the Mode III Alleluias. (The one used for V: Paratum cor meum.) Had Christus Factus and Haec Dies on loop for a while, and at Christmas Dominus dixit ad me , and the sequence Laetabundus. The realy annoying ones are the office antiphons: Dixit Dominus, Qui timet Dominum, Sit nomen Domini... Let me tell ya, you can get some strange looks walking around town and singing Psalmody to yourself!
  • Andrew_Malton
    We were comparing notes and the experience with other liturgical and nonliturgical melodies' earwormworthiness.

I suppose I _have_ had chants stuck in my head especially on the day after rehearsal. But they don't stay as long and are much less annoying than, say, Alleluia, Give Thanks To The Living Lord.
  • gregpgregp
    I finally stopped hearing 'Nos autem gloriari'. Now it's 'Vocem iucunditatis'.
  • BenBen
    Let me tell ya, you can get some strange looks walking around town and singing Psalmody to yourself

Been there, done that.
    Thanked by 2Jenny Andrew_Malton
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    The sequences and Adoro te devote are always stuck in my head.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • GavinGavin
    ew, Jesu Dulcis. That one is torture! And Oportet te. Like those little worms in Wrath of Khan!
  • marajoymarajoy
    I think they can get stuck in your head... but for some funny reason, I never find it "annoying!"
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • Kathy
    The responsories of the divine office. All the time.
  • Adoremus in aeternum, verses and all.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • ScottKChicago
    Psalm tones get stuck in my head very easily. The Saint Meinrad tones become earworms after a day of Offices at the Archabbey. A few of the jazzier-sounding accompaniments get schmaltzier in my brain (although they start out tasteful).
  • Carl DCarl D
    I had the same experience at St Meinrad! But the biggest one for me was the Easter Exsultet I sang a few years ago, because I'd been practicing it so much and it's just so darn beautiful.
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • Vidi aquam, Sanctus V, sometimes Mass III or VII (which we have done on occasion). Snippets of introits, Crux Fidelis from Good Friday... Depends on where in the liturgical year we are.
  • scholistascholista
    Mostly my wife complains of Gregorian earworms when I'm learning a new chant.

Parce Domine and Te Joseph Celebrent have haunted her!
  • Andrew Motyka
    Someone already mentioned Adoro te, so I'll go with the Pentecost Sequence. All. Day. Long.
  • bonniebede
    Ubi caritas...but after the first line I have a mental fork between the chant and duruffle - head explosion! Somehow my brain seems to think it should be able to hum all or a melody, even when its polyphonic, but of course it can't. but I can think of much worse jingle to be carrying around, except I refuse to name of them or they will get stuck in my head..
  • canadashcanadash
    My son is constantly humming anything Gregorian he learns. It doesn't happen to me.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Kathy mentioned this a long time ago in a post on the cafe - how gc resets your inner soundtrack. I find that to be true.
    Thanked by 2Ben CHGiffen
  • ew, Jesu Dulcis. That one is torture! And Oportet te. Like those little worms in Wrath of Khan!

While we are at communions, Videns Dominus. But it was first I ever learned, therefore, first impressions ... But generally, chant is much less 'earwormy' than other styles.
  • Priestboi
    The melody from missa orbis factor kyrie as done by ensemble organum - so haunting...and then the glorias from te psalm tones, now that is annoying :D