What handbell music pieces do you like?
  • Thought I would start another and ask everyone what is in their handbell repertoire? We are looking to expand ours for next season and I'm wondering what pieces are your favorites? All sources are welcomed!
  • Carl DCarl D
    Our repertoire is about 7 inches of paper at this point, so I'm not sure where to start. Anything more specific?
  • None.

Interesting tid-bit: handbells originated as a means of practicing change ringing without going up into the belfry. Then, along came one of those marketing geniuses.
  • bonniebede
    Favourite bell pieces:
    Dinner bell, end of school bell.
    Least favourite: Fire alarm bell, though it does move me profoundly.
    ;-)

• CharlesW
    Other than the 5 bells in the tower, I don't have bells.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Carillon!

• Jeffrey Quick
    Tacet!
  • Speaking of change ringing: you who have handbells might look into doing change ringing with them as part of your repertory. There is literature to be had, and it is a challenging exercise of precision team work: this means that however many bells you have you simply ring them in successive patterns until you have gone through the entire mathematical permutations of the number of bells you have. There are numerous classical ways of going about this. Unfamiliar with this? Look up change ringing on youtube and hear some examples, and get in touch with some real change ringing societies. It is a national passtime in England, where handbells originated as a means of practicing change ringing without going into the tower and practicing on the whole town.

Still, I don't think of handbells as a liturgical instrument. They always seem to be there just for their own sake.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I've got a fever...
    Thanked by 1Aristotle Esguerra
  • SalieriSalieri
    I always loved the sound of change-ringing; It's a pitty that where I am (New England) most churches have either two bells (that don't get rung) or a clangatron. If anyone would like to donate so my parish could get an eight-bell ring in the tower, let me know! ;)

The best use of handbells I've seen/heard was during a rosary procession, when the Lourde's 'Ave' was sung between the decades: the choirmistress used the D & G bells to give the pitch.
  • BenBen
    There's a whole system to change ringing. When I visited DC a while back and went in the bell tower at the national post office, have a whole bell ringers guild. It was quite interesting.
  • So no one really uses handbells at their parish?? Should I consider removing them for our choirs?
  • BenBen
    I don't know, call me crazy, I've just never seen the need for liturgical handbells.
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • chonakchonak
    In this area, I know only one Catholic parish offhand with a bell program. On the other hand, they're more common among Protestant parishes: a single UCC church in this area has several bell groups and a large music room devoted just to the bellringers and their gear. You can make use of them, for sure: they're popular at Christmas concerts, but you may need to look around on the net to find more discussion of handbells.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    On the other hand, they're more common among Protestant parishes

Indeed. Before I converted I was awash in handbell choirs in my travels. After converting, I've yet to have seen one in Catholic parishes. They seem to favor djembe and rainstick. (yuck).
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    Handbells are not traditional in Catholic churches - keep in mind this is coming from a DM who was in a college handbell group. The expense is another factor. Good handbells are expensive. If I had the funds available, there are many more pressing things I could use the money for.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Our parish school has a set from which we've occasionally borrowed a few bells for the Regina caeli alleluias. Having once regularly directed an adult choir I answer the first question like Jeffrey Quick, adding that I have a genuine affection for the music of John Cage. The handbell pieces that I tolerate most easily include Sweelinck's Herr Christ, der einig Gottes Sohn (try it undamped and you can actually smell the water of Dutch canals) and Franck's 2nd C major verset from L'organiste, a pièce croisée that works very well with bells and handchimes.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I was part of a large parish many years ago that had a handbell choir. They only played on major feast days, most notably (and appropriately) Christmas.

I have a hard time imagining appropriate use of handbells outside Christmas and (PERHAPS) Easter. Even in a Protestant setting.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Adam, you haven't really lived until you've experienced a Maundy Thursday with Proulx's handbell accompanied Ubi caritas and Fauré's Pie Jesu on handchimes. There's much to be learned from Methodists.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'll keep that in mind.
  • CharlesW
    Ding dong merrily on high.... ;-)
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I actually inherited a very nice set from one of my predecessors who apparently had an Anglican background. Bottom line is I can't seem to assemble enough people to ring them. I have used single bells to give pitches to the choir. I guess I don't see any apparent flaw in having a bell choir though if the parish wants to put their efforts/resources into one. Are they necessary--certainly not, and a choir of singers and an organ should certainly take precedence. While they don't rank high on my list of priorities, I'd still take a bell choir over a "folk group" any day.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Catholic parishes. They seem to favor djembe and rainstick.

They need a chart like this one.

Thanked by 1Scott_W
  • Scott_WScott_W
    That flowchart made my day.