Not to be missed! Harmonize your own Magnificat 8G !!!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Some of you might be interested in this Magnificat 8G .

It is given in 3 keys, vocal scores are provided, chant notation scores, and practice Mp3's are also given

The BEST part is, if you don't like my version, you can harmonize your own!!!

Blank templates are provided.

When you are finished, please E-mail your version to me: jeff@ostrowski.cc

I would like to put your version up on the Chabanel site.

If anyone is interested, I have a recording by a Franciscan who recorded 31 practice tracks for Compline. This priest was trained in the 1940's and 1950's, so he does Compline EXACTLY as it was done back then. If anyone E-mails me that they are interested, I can post these Mp3 files online.
  • Thanks Jeff! that's the one I need.
  • Pes
    "Exactly as it was done back then" ... by Franciscans?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I don't think he does the Franciscan version, but I could be wrong.
  • Pes
    Awesome. Dude, I'm totally including guitar chords for this one. It will rock. Peace out!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear Pes,

OK, I found out the answer. (just F.Y.I., I don't know very much about the Divine Office)

That is the Roman version. There is no such thing as the Franciscan version. St. Francis insisted that they do the Office "as other clerics did."
  • Jeff was kind enough to take on board my "Anglican chant" arrangement of Magnificat 8G. SATB with soprano part singing the chant melody. (I'm using "Anglican chant" loosely here. You couldn't sing it simply from a pointed text having memorized a formula.) Look for it along with all the other Magnificats 8G.

Offered to Our Lady as a belated birthday present in thanksgiving for the flowering of chant in the present time.
  • Truly! "Anglican chant" is not simply a chant that is harmonized. It is, primarily, a rhythmic formula, into which both melody and harmony fit. This makes the form much more universal when fitting to any text, any language, any style of translation. I personally would hate for the term "Anglican chant" to be confused in this way, because I think the entire world of Anglican chant is something that could greatly enhance Catholic worship and music - when understood as it stands as a musical form and tradition.

The example, as it stands, is not really "Anglican chant."
  • Yes. Anglican chant is a wonderful musical form and tradition, a heritage I seek to honor. Alas, I didn't know a better term to use. Can I ask any marketing mavens out there? What would describe my piece? Perhaps "Anglican chant inspired"? "Neo Anglican chant?" "Post Anglican chant?" Maybe "Not Ready For Anglican chant?" Perhaps "Bad Anglican chant?"

Vigilated chant? Vigilatesque? Vigilateenian? Vigilatary? Vigilatory? Vigilaceous!