• Hi,

I'm looking to create the full set of extraordinary form Tenebrae translated into English and using chant notation. I'm wondering if this already exists somewhere, and I just don't know of it. The closest thing I can find is Fr Weber's Good Friday Tenebrae, which is truncated. So, is there anything like that out there, but containing all the texts?
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I'm working on it. Won't finish for a couple of weeks, though. Sorry. I'm using the approved Rev. Babo translation.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    extraordinary form [. . .] English

I'm confused... or curious.
    Thanked by 1SkirpR
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Makes perfect sense to use EF structure of the office but substitute English. This model should have been a much larger part of the postconcilar project.
  • There are several Anglican sources that fit this model. Many were edited by Francis Burgess. Most are in modern notation, however.
  • Clemens,

Can I do anything to assist you with it? And obviously won't be needing it for more than a few weeks anyway :P
  • Adam,

The seminary in Denver, St John Vianney, has been doing "Tenebrae" for some time. However, its the ordinary form office of readings with an abbreviated morning prayer, and the Lamentations tacked on. I learned it was created by a well-meaning and pious yet...ignorant seminarian. It's really difficult for me to attend because I've sang at Tenebrae, and so I know how much beauty of the stripped away nature of Tenebrae is being missed at the seminary. Knowing that the actual Tenebrae in Latin will not fly at SJV for many years, my hope is that if it's in English, they might actually consider doing it. Not ideal, but better than the status quo.
  • I have a copy of the three days of Tenebrae all in English and chant notation, use of Sarum.
  • JM - Is this available for circulation?
  • I have developed an Englished EF Tenebrae (Thu–Fri-Sat) based on psalm tones. The tone for the Lamentations is adapted to account for English cadences. We have tested the Holy Saturday version as a private devotion for the past two years and it takes about an hour to complete. PM me if you wish to examine a copy.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen bcb