Question about the Corpus Christi Sequence...
  • WendiWendi
    We are chanting this in Latin, but I would like to know...are my only options to either chant all 24 lines OR to only chant the last four lines?

All 24 lines takes quite a bit of time and practically speaking we don't want to alienate our more Latin averse parishioners...some of whom are thawing towards the language. On the other hand only singing the last four lines seems to just cut too much out.

Is there a middle way?

Thanks.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Not as far as I know.
  • Paul_D
    Seconded.

Advice: print all 24 in the bulletin, but sing the shorter one, and people will see how reasonable you are, and love you. And keep a record of your reasonableness ... it might come in handy. And in a few years, they will ask you to sing the whole thing. Trust in the Lord.
    Thanked by 2Ben canadash
  • WendiWendi
    Oh believe me I am very reasonable. Given the options we'll sing the shortened version. The purist in my would prefer to sing all 24 glorious lines, but I honestly love my parish community...and that would be too much for some at this time.
  • We did this in a previous parish I worked in, but we chanted the English version found in "By Flowing Waters". I believe there were four "verses".