• scholistascholista
    As a Protestant convert to the Catholic Church, I'd say that this alert sums up the Protestant version of Christianity. It doesn't eliminate the need for nor reduce the value and goodness of ecumenism, it's just the plain truth of the matter. And truth does matter!
  • Ecumenism really opened the doors of the Catholic church - and the Catholics left.
  • chonakchonak
    A 1979 Gallup Poll said Catholics expressed these as reasons for dropping out. Ecumenism doesn't seem prominent in the issues they cited.

When I grew up and I started making decisions on my own, I stopped going to church. 41%

I found other interests and activities that led me to spend less and less time on church-related activities. 39%

I had specific problems with or objections to the church, its teachings, or its members. 35%

I moved to a different community and never got involved in a new church. 25%

The church was no longer a help to me in finding the meaning and purpose of my life. 25%

I felt my life-style was no longer compatible with participation in a church. 25%

Thanked by 3Jam Gavin scholista
  • Looking back it appears that way, I agree, but the reality is that we were not permitted - it was a sin - to attend other churches. If a family member married outside the church, family was not allowed to attend. Ecumenism then meant freedom to actually be in a protestant church building. The reasons above are valid and are what people did when they were finally free of family and church pressure to stay in the church, I think.

But, as this group knows, I have frequently been known to be wrong!
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Did that poll ask them about ecumenism? Did those polled even know what that meant? They wouldn't cite that as their answer if they didn't know what it meant.
    Thanked by 1KARU27
  • I have several family members who stopped going to Mass after the changes. What I commonly hear is that they got the impression that going to Mass, and Mass itself, didn't seem that important, that a more casual approach led them to stop or slow the practice of their faith. Most of the ones I know didn't join anything else. But some did. The contraception wave sunk some people, too.

I'm not saying drifting because of liturgical chaos was a good idea, or that they were well formed in their faith. It's just anecdotal.
    Thanked by 2gregp Earl_Grey
  • GavinGavin
    So if the pope interprets scripture for you... who interprets the pope?

I mean some say Francis is a conservative... others say he's a liberal.... can we not simply read the "plain meaning" of the pope for ourselves??
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    fnj: "ecumenism"
    chonak: "that's not what people said"

Generally, people do not know why they think the things they do. IF you leave the Catholic Church because of (for example) you don't like the preaching at your local parish, or one specific priest has offended you, underneath the reason you know about is a whole cultural/theological matrix that allowed for that kind of thinking in the first place.

Chonak's answer is important for people on the ground- priests and other leaders doing pastoral work with individuals. FNJ's answer needs to be understood by culture-makers: the hierarchy, those who teach in seminaries, bishops, musicians in cathedrals and large churches, people who give seminars at liturgical workshops...
  • CharlesW
    While I don't dispute the merits of what anyone else has written, those reasons have not been my experience. The people I know who have left are mostly tied up in marriage difficulties. They are divorced, remarried, legally married but not in a Church sanctioned marriage, and the list goes on.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • rich_enough
    And who interprets the person interpreting the pope? I suppose thousands of different interpretations of Scripture are better than one.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Pardon me while I indulge a little anecdotal musing. My parish of post-60's architecture is getting a sanctuary overhaul. Gone will be this unsightly and enormous bas-relief sculpture or Our Lord doing the "touchdown" pose. Gone will be the plaster tabernacle that is off to the side and looks like a remedial art project. It will be moved to the center and be something of better artistic quality. Gone will be the colored-glass windows to be replaced by stained-glass depicting saints.

It occurred to me that this building was originally constructed with ecumenicism in mind, so Catholic distinctives were softened or blurred. The crucifix is too much a reminder that the Mass is primarily a sacrifice, so a resurrected or ascending Lord is depicted. The Eucharist is summit and center of the Mass, but let's move it to the side so that it is not too much in the face of our separated brethren. (an aside: our parish has long since returned to precious metal patens and chalices, but there was a time when it was stuff that looked like pedestrian dinnerware for that "sharing of a meal" feel at the expense of sacrificial understanding.) And depicting saints in stained glass was obviously a no-no.

But what has happened is that most mainline denominations have veered into secular Politically Correct looneyland, so the need to do all these things for the sake of ecumenicism simply isn't there anymore so many Catholic churches are starting to recover Catholic distinctives.

Now, I'm not blaming the Catholic exodus on ecumenicism, but I think a substantial portion of it might be that when we were in a mode to not offend others, the unintended consequence was an overall trivialization of the Faith, and we got a lot of what MaryAnn described: an "impression that going to Mass, and Mass itself, didn't seem that important".
  • chonakchonak
    One big factor was the antinomian attitude of the 1960s. For those who've been spared meeting this word before, it refers to lawlessness and resentment of law. After all, many people think that calling someone "legalistic" is a sufficient counter-argument against anyone who exhorts people to fulfill their obligations.

In the "do your own thing" 1960s, obligations and universal rules were "out"; and the unexpected changes in the Church were taken as validation of this attitude: even small things like the abandonment of Friday abstinence from meat, or (yes) the permission to attend a Protestant church service.

But I don't think that ecumenism itself is at the root of the great falling-away; after all, most of those people aren't attending church services somewhere else.
  • What Chonak said.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    A footnote in one of the articles in Dr. Mahrt's "Musical Shape of the Liturgy" (p. 46, emphasis mine):
    It is true that Protestant churches have practiced the "responsive psalm," and this may have suggested it to the reformers, for ecumenical reasons. This is a false kind of ecumenism, for one of the greatest things we have had to offer the ecumenical dialogue is the beauty of our liturgy.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • scholistascholista
    Ecumenism doesn't mean attending a Protestant church. To understand what I mean above by ecumenism, read Blessed John Paul II's encyclical on ecumenism Ut Unum Sint.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_25051995_ut-unum-sint_en.html
  • Sorry, but telling me to read a document with a Latin title causes my eyes to glaze over. I've obviously said "being allowed to go into a protestant church which was once a grave sin" was part of ecumenism and I'm wrong. If so, what the heck was it? I suppose I could suggest reading: Protestantium ecclesiam ingredi concessum fuit peccatum

Now, what Mahrt said was enlightening about ecumenism without using a word in Latin. Mahrt for Pope!
  • G
    Self-reported reasons for such question as ones leaving the Church are notoriously inaccurate, from what I understand.

Who is going to say to a pollster, "I like to sleep late"? or, "I don't like to commit to anything, ask my girlfriend, she'll tell you..."?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Generally, people do not know why they think the things they do.

I like that, I really like that.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Self-reported reasons for such question as ones leaving the Church are notoriously inaccurate, from what I understand.

Everyone knows people stop attending Mass because of the music.

Thanked by 1scholista
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    If only it was more uplifting and vibrant, our churches would certainly be full!
  • SalieriSalieri
    By uplifting and vibrant I assume you must mean this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGG3Zcc7yqw
  • CharlesW
    Roth is "Da Bomb." He rocks!

Now if the Church would just get rid of that dreary, depressing chant; make the sermons fuzzy and relevant; and stop all this patriarchal talk about sin and stuff.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    That would have been so much more "upbeat" if he had played it on the piano! :)
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    What! No general cancel. They should replace it with a digital.
  • jpal
    Above all, be "welcoming."

(By the way, can anyone tell me what a "special" welcome is, as opposed to a plain old welcome? Until the pastor replaced the commentator's introduction with a bell, we had "Good morning. Welcome to St. Elizabeth Ann Seton parish, and a special welcome to those visiting us today...")
  • Blaise
    "Ecumenism" is a term which is poorly understood, I think. As a whole, it refers to relations with other Christian communities and churches. "Interreligious affairs" is the term used to describe relations with non-Christian religions.

USCCB Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs

So, what do you mean when people say they left the Church because of "ecumenism"?

Does that mean:

a) They believe the Church to be totally or largely wrong?
    b) They have no objection to Catholic teaching, but they feel they can get the same thing in other Christian groups or even non-Christian religions which are not as "exclusive"?
    c) Do they have an objection to organized religion?
    d) Did they intermarry into another Christian group or non-Christian religion and "forget" to come back to their own Church?
    e) Two or more of the above.?
    f) none of the above?
  • scholistascholista
    Frogman,

I owe you an apology for hijacking your Sola Scriptura thread. I didn't mean to turn it into a discussion on ecumenism.

Mea culpa! (Ooops, sorry about the Latin.)
    Thanked by 2Gavin chonak
  • G
    Paul, I think it's most often a whole mess o' "b."
    It's relativism.
    It's "it's all the same God, just a different roof."
    It's "oh, I' m sorry I missed my server assignment yesterday, my family went to the Baptist Mass this week."
    It's "what does it matter, as long as you're a nice person?"

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • chonakchonak
    Now it's time to play Name That Heresy! Today we've got some raw material from G's observations. Let's see if we can spot the doctrinal confusion she is describing! Number One:
    It's "it's all the same God, just a different roof."

Hmmm: this one sounds like a form of Indifferentism. If the Catholic didn't attend Mass, tut-tut! It's a failure to understand the importance of worshipping in full communion with the Church, united with her in faith and charity. Let's see what's behind Door Number Two:
    It's "oh, I' m sorry I missed my server assignment yesterday, my family went to the Baptist Mass this week."

More Indifferentism: here, it's a failure to understand the difference between attending the Eucharistic Sacrifice and attending a service of Scripture and preaching, presented by people who don't believe in sacraments as such. And what's up next?
    It's "what does it matter, as long as you're a nice person?"

Here we've got Pelagianism, perhaps the most common heresy held by poorly instructed Catholics!

So congratulations to G whose interlocutors have won a trifecta of heretical blovation!
  • Baptist Mass? Wow. Reminds me of a local paper's gaffe about a local synagogue that had been vandalized. The reporter wrote that despite the damage, the synagogue would hold "all weekend Masses" as usual. Yikes-o-rama!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Reminds me of a local paper's gaffe about a local synagogue that had been vandalized. The reporter wrote that despite the damage, the synagogue would hold "all weekend Masses" as usual. Yikes-o-rama!

One of my relatives married a Jewish woman, and they were raising their child in that faith... I still remember on the day of the boy's bris, my dad kept refering to it as his "Jewish christening." :)
    Thanked by 1IanW
  • Liam
    " It's "what does it matter, as long as you're a nice person?"

Here we've got Pelagianism, perhaps the most common heresy held by poorly instructed Catholics! "

Hey, that's deeply unfair to Pelagius. Pelagianism, in its original form, involved a painfully rigorist form of moralism.
  • Andrew_Malton
    ... which is even worse: painful moral rigorism combined with refusal of grace. "We were ever in Hell."
  • scholistascholista
    Back to Sola Scriptura:

The simplest way I know to illustrate the heresy (read fallacy) of Sola Scriptura is to ask the question: Who put together the Table of Contents of the New Testament?

Although most Christians agree that the 27 books of the New Testament are inspired by God, who was it that chose which letters and gospel accounts were to be included in this list of inspired writings?

History tells us that there were many Christian writings circulating in the near East for more than a couple of centuries before the Council of Carthage (read Council of the Catholic Church authorized by a Pope) made an authoritative decision in 397 A.D. about which of the many Christian writings in circulation would not be regarded as inspired and which ones would be. In other words, the Council decided which of the various lists of inspired writings would not be regarded as correct and which list would.

If the authoroity of the Catholic Church is accepted for something as important as the Canon of the New Testament, and in Christendom it is almost universally accepted, why would one choose not to trust her in hermeneutics (scriptural interpretation) and other important matters of doctrine and morals?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Who put together the Table of Contents of the New Testament?

"God."
  • Scott_WScott_W
    You mean the Almighty didn't drop a complete King James Version from space directly into the reformer's front yards? :)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    When engaged in a discussion of the merits of the Revised Standard Version of the Bible over the King James Version, an elderly lady listened quietly, making a few comments such as, "That's a mighty pretty looking Bible, what with its beautiful leather binding and its gilt-edged pages, but I don't know if I'm ready to buy one." When pressed for the reasons behind her indecision by a much younger man of the cloth, she replied, "Sonny, if the King James Version was good enough for Jesus, then it ought to be good enough for you and me."
    Thanked by 2Spriggo Blaise