• I thought capital LORD was only for "Yahweh."

Why does Revised Grail use capitals in this sentence?

"on the hand of their LORDs,"

http://www.giamusic.com/sacred_music/RGP/psalmDisplay.cfm?psalm_id=357
  • Liam
    Ah, the joys of the REPLACE function, doubled with editorial decision rendering the various forms of Adon (Lord - Adonai is already plural but treated in customary English usage as a peculiar singular, then you get things like Adonai adonim, Lord of lords, et cet.)...instead of in this instance going with masters.

http://www.qbible.com/hebrew-old-testament/psalms/123.html
  • Ah, the joys of the REPLACE function,

This past Triduum I was preparing the "scripts" for the readers of the Passion, including the Archbishop. Thinking myself clever, I used the REPLACE function to change the script, from "Speaker" to "Fr. X," "Narrator" to "Deacon," and "Jesus" to "Archbishop." I thought this would make it abundantly clear who was to be speaking when.

Naturally, "Jesus" occurs more than just in the speaking indications, so the script ended up reading something like, "When the hour came, Archbishop took his place at table with the apostles."

Thankfully, this was caught before the final version and we didn't have Andy's Blasphemous Passion on Palm Sunday.
  • BenBen
    hahaha! I had some problems with that too last year
  • Andrew_Malton
    Reminded me of this, which I hadn't thought about since, but Google kindly found for me.

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/new90/godbug.html
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Andrew's story gave me a great laugh.
  • chonakchonak
    Jeff (Paul), that's just a typo on the web site. The RGP book ("Singing Version") doesn't have the word capitalized.
    Thanked by 1SkirpR
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Jeff (Paul), that's just a typo on the web site. The RGP book ("Singing Version") doesn't have the word capitalized.

Yes, free resources are great, but I've found that sometimes when I'm incorporating something into a work I want to be top-notch, it's worth getting a source I know will have been more carefully printed.

In other words, I try to reference printed copies of the Lectionary and Missal, not a hand missal or missalette, and generally buy or borrow books vs. online resources that are not graphic scans of the printed pages. I find the less distance I put between myself and the "original," the more likely I can avoid creeping errors being perpetuated in my own work - although nothing this side of eternity will ever be perfect.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    free resources are great, but[. . .]

Paid editions are no guarantee of quality, either.

These are two separate considerations.

Thanked by 2ryand SkirpR
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Paid editions are no guarantee of quality, either.

Above all, I think the bigger issue is how many steps a certain edition is from the original and what quality control checks you can expect. For example, I'm sure a number of proofreaders looked over the final edition of the Grail Psalms book - well, because that's what's always been done in producing a book. In putting it online, well, that's never been done before (for an official text by this publisher or the USCCB). And while one would think copying and pasting would do the trick, it doesn't always work out that way - and the programmers may not have been as conscious of what the caps meant for "Lord."

But yes, I agree that paid editions are no guarantee of quality just because they're paid - but maybe somewhat because the traditional process they employ has been around longer.

I don't want to turn this into another thread on copyright and public domain, because I agree with many of the arguments for putting things in the commons, but you have to admit - at least for now - the quality of things just put out there can be hit or miss. But like Wikipedia - which was of dreadful quality in its first few years - I expect the situation will continue to improve, and drastically. It doesn't mean I'm not going to double-check my sources if I'm trying to make a liturgical resource.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • SkirpR, I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. Perhaps you can elaborate?

The GIA version is (or should be) identical to the "paid" version. I know this, because I have to pay GIA every time I use the text from online.
  • chonakchonak
    Ah, those cagey people at GIA, knowingly putting typos in the text to motivate you to buy the book :-)

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Well, it's evidently an error that crept in during the process of digitizing the text. What's so hard about emailing them with a correction?
  • I don't know if it's an error. I was posting here to make sure it was, in fact, an error. I'm not a Biblical scholar, and I am learning all the time.
  • If "Yahweh" doesn't appear there in the Hebrew (I haven't checked), and if "Lord" isn't rendered in capitals in that verse in the printed version of the RGP, then prima facie it looks like an error to me. I would just send them a quick note bringing it to their attention and asking for a clarification.
  • gregpgregp
    I don't know Hebrew, but the Greek of the Septuagint says "idou, hos ophthalmoi doulon eis cheiras ton kurion auton," which means, "behold, as the eyes of the slaves/servants toward the hands of their masters". (Hands, plural). 'Kurios' can mean 'the Lord', but it also very frequently means 'master', 'lord', 'supervisor', 'boss'.

My guess, and that's all it is, would be that this is not referring to 'the Lord'.