Weddings/Funerals: Money and Copyright
  • Not sure if its ethically ok to ask but how much do you charge for music in a wedding service, funeral service. And does your parish hire you or are you contracted by the person in need? I assume its usually an instrument and voice.

More importantly, how does the copyright work? Is it legal to record some hymns as samples to let people hear your ensemble. Not everyone can make it to the service you serve in. I know if I was looking for musicians for my wedding I would def. want to hear how they sound before I hire them.

Thanks for always sharing your experiences!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Is it legal to record some hymns as samples to let people hear your ensemble.

Short clips (not entire songs), recorded and used solely for the purpose of demonstrating competence could arguably be considered "fair use."

Or it might not be.

The problem with "fair use" is that there are no rules about it, no bright line distinction. The four-fold test is a consideration of:

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
    2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
    3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
    4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

(1) is tricky- it's church (non-profit), but you're a paid professional (commercial). Although it doesn't say that commercial uses are wrong- just that this is to be considered.

(2) is trickier- the nature of the work is... what? It's music. Okay? So what?

(3) suggests that erring toward an excerpt, instead of a full recording, would put you on the right side of fairness.

(4) is a shoe-in. Your sampler recording has no negative effect on the potential market or value of the work. It may even have a positive effect, as it could lead to additional performance royalties.
    Thanked by 1theloniouslopez
  • francis
    Use PD material for your demos. Simple as that.
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    And what about the videographer who records the entire service? I'm not aware of any copyright clearances for that.
  • OlbashOlbash
    200 funeral, 250 wedding, hourly rates for extra rehearsals. I am always clearly employed by the church, not the individual, even if it is the indivdual writing the check.

People have *way* too much choice in planning music for weddings and funerals. These aren't "rent-a-church" events -- they are public liturgies of the Church, and the church has the right and duty to ensure that they are dignified and executed according to her norms. That being said, I've never heard of any musician or parish asked to cease and desist in the distribution of sample music recordings. Many make them readily available on their church websites or on youtube.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I don't receive any extra stipends for weddings or funerals, but when I freelance in this area it's less than 1/2 of Olbash! Maybe it's time to relocate. :)
  • BenBen
    People have *way* too much choice in planning music for weddings and funerals. These aren't "rent-a-church" events -- they are public liturgies of the Church, and the church has the right and duty to ensure that they are dignified and executed according to her norms.

I couldn't have said it better than myself.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I'm individually contracted by the couple, specifically the bride and groom, to play for weddings, and I collect my fees directly. I don't work with mothers of brides, wedding consultants or the notorious "event planner". I don't even work with soloists if they contact me and say, "I've been asked by the bride to sing for her wedding, and here are the songs we've chosen." I calmly say, "I'm the music director at this parish, and it is my duty and obligation to safeguard the practices of the parish with respect to the music. If you have an issue with this, please contact the pastor."

I absolutely insist on meeting with the couple in person (not the mother of the bride, not the coordinator, not the event planner . . . the bride and the groom) at the church to discuss and play through various music options. This is to my mind the professional way to handle it. If you have a large volume of weddings (all at the same parish), then coordinate a series of familiarization "concerts" where you and a group of soloists perform excerpts of pieces available from your repertoire that the couple can select. Otherwise, by using CD's and the like, the music selection process becomes impersonal and rather utilitarian.

With respect to video taping, if the bride (or the bride's mother) has been a pain in the lower extremities, I give the videographer all kinds of trouble if he starts taping me. "I'm sorry, but you do not have my permission to record any part of this event when I'm playing." Same with the photographer if they start snapping pics of me while I'm warming up. "Who said you could take my picture?"
  • CharlesW
    I hate weddings and refuse to do them. The 4 people who play weddings for me, charge between $150. to $250. - their choice. The organist(s) meets with the soon to be married, and plays samples of acceptable music, since those organists keep the standard wedding literature practiced (I don't). The pastor calls the wedding coordinator aside, and informs her that he, not she, is in charge and will call the shots.
  • jpal
    $200.00 for organist. Couples fill out a form for music selections and readings:
    http://bit.ly/SEASwedding
    One of my projects over the next few weeks will be recording samples of everything listed on there. Almost everything is PD (the tunes anyway; I won't be recording with a singer) so I don't have the copyright issue.
  • WendiWendi
    I know of at least one Mother of the Bride that you worked with Darling. Of course she was a colossal pain in the hindquarters,opinionated, demanding...and they didn't even pay you...although I think you will concede that they fed you well. ;)
  • rich_enough
    @David Andrew
    I'm wondering if you have written policies in place to prohibit the videographer from taping you or the soloist from thinking she can sing anything she wants? It seems a little awkward to talk to the video person on the wedding day, if that's what you do. Where I play it's crystal clear that the only soloists who sing for weddings are those pre-approved and hired by the music director. Having things clearly in writing makes for less hassle later.
  • marajoymarajoy
    $100 for funerals, $150 for weddings. I'm in no place at this time to be attempting to change or challenge the expectation that they get to choose their own music. (Although of course anything non-sacred, or at least not "classical" is not permitted.)
    I don't do anything to help choose music for funerals (I assume they just open the hymnal and point their finger at 4 of the Top 5 Catholic Hits of the 1980s/70s,) but for weddings, while I used to meet with the couple (so there was no recordings involved, but I think pretty much all of what I play is public domain anyhow,) I have recently started to transition to simply emailing people a list of songs and Youtube clips, and a document explaining their options and where everything can go. So far, everyone seems to greatly prefer that. Fine with me. One less meeting for me!